James A. Robinson (economist)
James Alan Robinson (born 1960) is a British economist and political scientist who serves as University Professor at the Harris School of Public Policy, University of Chicago since 2015 and prior to that taught at Harvard University between 2004 and 2015. Robinson has also taught at the University of California, Berkeley, University of Southern California and the University of Melbourne and is the co-author of Why Nations Fail along with Daron Acemoglu.
|James A. Robinson|
Robinson in 2018
|Alma mater||Yale University (Ph.D. 1993)|
University of Warwick (M.A. 1986)
London School of Economics (B.A. 1982)
|Doctoral advisor||Truman Bewley|
|Institutions||University of Chicago|
University of California at Berkeley
University of Southern California
University of Melbourne
Robinson studied economics at the London School of Economics (BSc), the University of Warwick (MA) and Yale University (PhD). His main research interests are in comparative economic and political development with a focus on the long-run with a particular interest in Latin America and Sub-Saharan Africa. In 2004, he was appointed Professor of Government at Harvard, with his chair being named David Florence Professor of Government in 2009. On July 1, 2015, he was appointed University Professor at the Harris School of Public Policy Studies of the University of Chicago. On 9 May 2016, professor Robinson was awarded honorary doctor's degree by the National University of Mongolia during his first visit to the country.
- James A. Robinson; Emmanuel Akyeampong; Robert H. Bates; Nathan Nunn, eds. (2014). Africa’s Development in Historical Perspective. New York: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 978-1107691209.
- James A. Robinson; Alice H. Amsden; Alisa DiCaprio, eds. (2012). The Role of Elites in Economic Development. New York: Oxford University Press. ISBN 978-0-19-965903-6.
- James A. Robinson; Daron Acemoglu (2012). Why Nations Fail: The Origins of Power, Prosperity and Poverty. New York: Crown Business. ISBN 978-0307719218.
- James A. Robinson; Jared Diamond, eds. (2010). Natural Experiments of History. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press. ISBN 0-674-03557-7.
- James A. Robinson; Klaus Wiegandt, eds. (2008). Die Ursprünge der modernen Welt: Geschichte im wissenschaftlichen Vergleich (in German). Frankfurt: Fischer Taschenbuch Verlag. ISBN 978-3596179343.
- James A. Robinson; Miguel Urrutia, eds. (2007). Economía Colombiana del Siglo XX: Un Análisis Cuantitativo (in Spanish). Bogotá and México D.F.: Fondo de Cultura Económica. ISBN 978-9583801396.
- James A. Robinson; Daron Acemoglu (2006). Economic Origins of Dictatorship and Democracy. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. ISBN 0-521-67142-6.
- "James Robinson appointed University Professor at Chicago Harris". UChicago News. 2015-02-03. Retrieved 2018-02-02.
- "James Robinson | Harris Public Policy". harris.uchicago.edu. Retrieved 2018-02-02.
- "CURRICULUM VITAE" (PDF).