Jake Thomas (Canadian football)
Jake Thomas (born December 6, 1990) is a professional Canadian football defensive tackle for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers of the Canadian Football League. He played CIS football for the Acadia Axemen.
|No. 95 Winnipeg Blue Bombers|
|Born:||December 6, 1990|
Douglas, New Brunswick
|Height||6 ft 2 in (188 cm)|
|Weight||266 lb (121 kg)|
|CFL draft||2012 / Round: 4 / Pick: 29|
|Drafted by||Winnipeg Blue Bombers|
|2012–present||Winnipeg Blue Bombers|
|Career highlights and awards|
|Men’s American football|
|2011 Austria||Team Competition|
Thomas was drafted 29th overall in the fourth round of the 2012 CFL Draft by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers and signed with the team on May 11, 2012. He played in his first game on June 29, 2012 against the BC Lions where he also recorded his first defensive tackle. He played in 14 regular season games in a backup role as a rookie. In 2013, Thomas continued to develop in a back up role and recorded his first career quarterback sack against the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on November 2, 2013 after tackling Dan LeFevour for a two-yard loss. While his primary role is playing on the defensive line, the Blue Bombers have also used Thomas on the offensive line, either due to injuries or in short yardage situations. He recorded his first career interception against the BC Lions on July 21, 2017 when he picked off Travis Lulay and lateralled the ball to teammate Kyle Knox who then returned it for a touchdown.
Thomas was the longest serving member of the Blue Bombers team that beat both the Calgary Stampeders and Saskatchewan Roughriders during the 2019 CFL Playoffs, en route to the 107th Grey Cup game. As the longest serving player at the time, Thomas was the first member of the Blue Bomber team to raise the Grey Cup on stage during the team's celebration.
- Kelly Moore (May 22, 2018). "Winnipeg Blue Bombers bring back Jake Thomas". Global News Winnipeg. Retrieved 2019-11-22.
- "CFL season begins for 8 Football Axemen". Acadia Axemen. June 9, 2014. Retrieved 2019-11-22.
- "Blue Bombers add draft pick Thomas, non-import defensive back West". Winnipeg Blue Bombers. May 11, 2012.
- "Hamilton Tiger-Cats vs Winnipeg Blue Bombers". Canadian Football League. November 2, 2013.
- "Winnipeg Blue Bombers vs BC Lions". Canadian Football League. July 21, 2017.
- Ted Wyman (November 19, 2019). "BOMBSHELLS: Longest-serving Bombers player Jake Thomas relishes opportunity to play in first Grey Cup". Winnipeg Sun.
- Jennifer Sweet (November 25, 2019). "Football fans in Fredericton, Moncton celebrate Grey Cup win".
- Ted Wyman (November 27, 2019). "Top-10 significant moments in Blue Bombers championship season".
|This biographical article relating to a Canadian football defensive lineman is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|