Jake Dotchin (born March 24, 1994) is a Canadian professional ice hockey defenceman who is currently playing under contract with the St. Louis Blues in the National Hockey League (NHL). Dotchin was selected by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the sixth round (161st overall) of the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
March 24, 1994|
Cambridge, Ontario, Canada
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||210 lb (95 kg; 15 st 0 lb)|
St. Louis Blues|
Tampa Bay Lightning
161st overall, 2012|
Tampa Bay Lightning
Dotchin was drafted by the Owen Sound Attack in the 4th round, 70th overall, in the 2010 OHL Draft. While with the Attack, Dotchin was drafted 161st overall by the Tampa Bay Lightning in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. After playing in 38 games for the Attack during the 2012–13 season, Dotchin was traded to the Barrie Colts in exchange for draft picks.
On January 17, 2017, the Tampa Bay Lightning recalled Dotchin from the American Hockey League, and he made his NHL debut 4 days later against the Arizona Coyotes at Gila River Arena. On January 31, 2017, Dotchin recorded his first career NHL point and assist at Amalie Arena.
On April 4, 2017, Dotchin was involved in an incident with Boston Bruins Brad Marchand. With the two players battling for position in front Lightning goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy, Dotchin delivered a cross-check to Marchand, who responded by spearing Dotchin in the groin. Dotchin did not return to the game, while Marchand received a 5-minute major penalty for spearing and a game misconduct. Dotchin was not suspended for the cross-check, but Marchand was suspended two games for the spear.
After being returned to the Crunch at the end of the regular season, Dotchin was involved in another incident with Toronto Marlies forward Frédérik Gauthier, where he received a 5-minute major penalty for interference and a game misconduct. He later received a 3-game suspension from the AHL.
On July 5, 2017, Dotchin signed a two-year, one-way contract extension with the Lightning valued at $1.625 million. On November 8, 2017, Dotchin recorded his first career NHL goal, which came in a 5-1 Lightning win over the San Jose Sharks at the SAP Center.
On September 4, 2018, Dotchin was placed on unconditional waivers for contract termination by the Tampa Bay Lightning, who cited a "material breach of contract." Dotchin cleared waivers the next day. According to sports journalist Elliotte Friedman while on a Sportsnet650 radio talk show, Dotchin had reportedly showed up to training camp "with 25% body fat" and "was extremely out of shape". Bob McKenzie, on TSN 1050 Toronto's First Up radio show, stated that Dotchin "was a good 30 to 35 pounds above his playing weight".
On October 17, 2018, Dotchin was signed to a one-year, $800 000 contract by the Anaheim Ducks. After clearing waivers, Dotchin was assigned to continue to improve his conditioning with AHL affiliate, the San Diego Gulls. During the 2018–19 season, Dotchin was later recalled to the Ducks and registered 1 assist in 20 games.
On June 25, 2019, Dotchin was not tendered a qualifying offer by the Ducks, releasing him to free agency. On July 1, 2019, Dotchin agreed to a one-year, two-way contract with the St. Louis Blues.
|2010–11||Cambridge Winter Hawks||GOJHL||41||5||10||15||88||5||1||3||4||8|
|2011–12||Owen Sound Attack||OHL||64||3||16||19||77||5||0||3||3||8|
|2012–13||Owen Sound Attack||OHL||38||2||12||14||39||—||—||—||—||—|
|2016–17||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||35||0||11||11||35||—||—||—||—||—|
|2017–18||Tampa Bay Lightning||NHL||48||3||8||11||38||—||—||—||—||—|
|2018–19||San Diego Gulls||AHL||20||4||3||7||68||6||0||2||2||8|
- "Colts' Dotchin signs with Lightning". Ontario Hockey League. April 19, 2014. Retrieved April 19, 2014.
- "COLTS DEAL FOR DEFENCEMEN JAKE DOTCHIN". barriecolts.com. January 10, 2013. Retrieved January 17, 2018.
- "Bolts Notes: Palat confident he'll play in Game 3". TBO.com. April 19, 2014. Retrieved April 19, 2014.
- "Lightning signs Dotchin". Barrie Examiner. April 20, 2014. Retrieved April 20, 2014.
- @BBurnsNHL (January 21, 2017). "Jake Dotchin makes NHL debut" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- Smith, Joe (February 1, 2017). "Jake Dotchin quickly earning Lightning coaches' trust". Tampa Bay Times. Retrieved February 9, 2017.
- "Brad Marchand suspension for spearing incident". National Hockey League. April 4, 2017. Retrieved April 4, 2017.
- "Crunch Defenseman Jake Dotchin suspended three games for hit on Gauthier". rawcharge.com. May 9, 2017. Retrieved May 9, 2017.
- "Lightning re-sign defenseman Jake Dotchin to two-year extension". NHL.com. Tampa Bay Lightning. July 5, 2017. Retrieved July 5, 2017.
- Gilmore, Eric (November 9, 2017). "Top line shines for Lightning against Sharks". National Hockey League. Retrieved November 9, 2017.
- "Report: Bolts waive Dotchin for breach - TSN.ca". TSN. September 14, 2018. Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- "Lightning's Jake Dotchin clears waivers after 'breach of contract' - Sportsnet.ca". Sportsnet.ca. Retrieved September 16, 2018.
- Sportsnet650 [@Sportsnet650] (September 18, 2018). "Elliotte Friedman: on Jake Dotchin" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "McKenzie: Dotchin showed up 30 lbs overweight". TSN.ca. September 19, 2018. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- "Ducks sign defenceman Jake Dotchin to one-year deal - Sportsnet.ca". Sportsnet.ca. Retrieved October 17, 2018.
- Anaheim Ducks (June 25, 2019). "Qualifying offers announced". Twitter. Retrieved June 25, 2019.
- "Blues agree to two-way contracts with six players". St. Louis Blues. July 1, 2019. Retrieved July 1, 2019.