Jake T. Buchanan (born September 24, 1989) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Houston Astros, Chicago Cubs, and Cincinnati Reds.
|Born: September 24, 1989|
Charlotte, North Carolina
|June 21, 2014, for the Houston Astros|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2017 season)
|Earned run average||4.73|
Buchanan attended North Gaston High School in Dallas, North Carolina. He then enrolled at North Carolina State University (NC State), where he played college baseball for the NC State Wolfpack. By his junior year at NC State, Buchanan emerged as the team's best pitcher.
The Houston Astros selected Buchanan in the eighth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft. In 2011, Buchanan pitched for the Lancaster JetHawks of the Class A-Advanced California League and the Corpus Christi Hooks of the Class AA Texas League. Pitching to a 3.80 earned run average, the Astros named Buchanan their Minor League Pitcher of the Year.
In 2012, 5.25 ERA with Corpus Christi and the Oklahoma City RedHawks of the Class AAA Pacific Coast League. Assigned to Corpus Christi to start the 2013 season, Buchanan led the Texas League in ERA and walks plus hits per innings pitched during the first half of the season, and the Astros promoted him to Oklahoma City after he participated in the Texas League All-Star Game. Buchanan was assigned to Oklahoma City to start the 2014 season.
He made his MLB debut on June 21, 2014. Buchanan was designated for assignment by Astros on September 1, 2015, to make room for Joe Thatcher on the 40 man roaster.
On March 31, 2016, Buchanan signed a minor league deal with the Chicago Cubs. He was promoted to the major-league roster from the Triple-A Iowa Cubs when rosters expanded on September 1. Buchanan appeared in two games for the Cubs to finish 2016, and had a 1-0 record with a 1.50 ERA. The Cubs eventually won the 2016 World Series, giving Buchanan his first championship title, although he did not play in the postseason.
On July 6, 2017, Buchanan signed a minor league contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks. He became a free agent at the end of the season, and signed another minor league contract with the Diamondbacks on December 26. He elected free agency on November 3, 2018.
Buchanan married former NC State swimmer Chelsa Messinger on January 25, 2014. The two met in college when they were both student athletes at NC State.
- "Hooks' Jake Buchanan, David Martinez give Astros two more promising young arms". 11 June 2013.
- Ellis, Kevin. "North Gaston product one call away from major leagues".
- "Buchanan tosses shutout for RedHawks". MiLB.com.
- Comitor, Lauren (September 1, 2016). "Cubs add Joe Smith, Jake Buchanan, Chris Coghlan; Pedro Strop suffers setback". Retrieved September 1, 2016.
- Bastian, Jordan; Muskat, Carrie. "Chicago Cubs win 2016 World Series". MLB. Retrieved November 3, 2016.
- Adams, Steve (May 25, 2017). "Reds Claim Jake Buchanan, Designate Peter O'Brien". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved May 25, 2017.
- Todd, Jeff (December 26, 2017). "Diamondbacks Re-Sign Jake Buchanan". mlbtraderumors.com. Retrieved December 27, 2017.
- "Messinger-Buchanan wedding". The Tennessean. February 20, 2014. Archived from the original on May 24, 2019. Retrieved May 24, 2019.