Jairus Aquino in 2014
Jairus Reuel Balagtas Aquino
April 1, 1999
|Education||Meridian International College|
|Agent||Star Magic (2006-2018)|
|Known for||Pareng Jomar in Super Inggo|
Lembot in Kung Fu Kids
Drake in Luv U
He appeared in several television advertisements before his first television appearance as an actor in ABS-CBN's television series Super Inggo. The series became popular, earning him the household name "Pareng Jomar", also known as "Pambansang Bestfriend ng Pilipinas" (National Bestfriend of the Philippines). Since then, he is seen in ABS-CBN's television shows and films, as part of Star Magic.
With encouragement from friends and family support, Aquino began his career as a commercial model at the age of 7. He appeared in several advertisements both for print, media and apparel before he stopped short after his parents became concerned of him being at work at an early age. One of his commercial appearances, for "Dolfenal Mefenamic acid", tells about a father who has a headache and his tagline was "Sabi ni Daddy Mamaya nalang daw" (Daddy says later).
Super Inggo series: 2006–2007Edit
The series is about a 17-year-old boy, played by Makisig Morales, who dreamed to become a superhero. Aquino was given the role of "Jose Mariano Jomar Sebastian", a young child who grew up as a street smart witty kid raised by his "Kuya Paloy", played by Alwyn Uytingco. The series became popular, earning him the household name "Pareng Jomar", also known as "Pambansang Bestfriend ng Pilipinas" (National Bestfriend of the Philippines) as his character defines a loyal brother, a loving son, and a good friend. Since then, he is seen in ABS-CBN's television shows and films, as part of Star Magic. The series boosts his popularity, which paved way for more projects.
The popularity of his tandem with Makisig Morales in Super Inggo made him a co-host for ABS-CBN's Little Big Superstar as well as his inclusion in the release of Little Big Star's debut album, Little Big Superstar. It was then followed by another album release entitled Oldies but Kiddies under Star Records, after he joined the kiddie boy band group, "Mak and the Dudes".
Following the end of the first season of the Super Inggo series, Aquino was offered to join the cast of Rounin, an ABS-CBN Philippine drama dubbed as tele-epiko or TV epic. He played the young version of "Mythos" where he trained kick boxing for two weeks in preparation for his role. He was paired with Sharlene San Pedro who played as young Selene. Mythos and Selene were the young lovers of Lumeria, who were also the main protagonist of the show. This was their first team-up in a primetime series. In addition, he appeared as a young version of "Miguel" in ABS-CBN's adaptation of Lastikman. These two were his longest cameo primetime appearances during his early career.
During the same year, he did several roles, both for film and television, before reuniting with the cast of Super Inggo's sequel Ang Bagong Bangis. He also did his first voice acting project for Super Inggo at ang Super Tropa, an animated version of the series where he voiced the character of "Jomar".
2008-2010:Kung Fu Kids and other projectsEdit
In 2008, Aquino was given the title role in Kung Fu Kids as "Lembot/Fish Boy" following the end of Super Inggo 1.5: Ang Bagong Bangis. Aquino auditioned for ABS-CBN's upcoming television series Kung Fu Kids. According to the director, Malou Sevilla, out of the many child stars who auditioned for "Lembot", the main character of the series, Aquino fits the role the most. Soon after, he learned a couple of martial arts sequences, particularly karate, in preparation for the series. His acting was complimented by his costars in the series, agreeing that he is the best actor among the four other male child stars.
It was also the same year where he made his first afternoon television drama series Pieta which starred Ryan Agoncillo, as well as his first comedy sitcom That's My Doc with Aga Muhlach, followed by M3 (Malay Mo Ma-develop) together with Ms. Ai Ai delas Alas in 2010.
Aquino appeared in several films playing cameo roles since his early career. His first appearance was in Star Cinema's romantic comedy film, D' Lucky Ones. He also appeared in several Metro Manila Film Festival entries such as Resiklo, Wapakman, Shake Rattle and Roll XI and Super Inday and the Golden Bibe. In addition, he had few short films including his first independent film Ang Asawa kong si Nikulet which gained a positive response, and Project Noel which was produced by Miss Earth Foundation.
His most notable film collaboration was when he voiced the character of "Bryan/Mang Ernie" in the 2010 Metro Manila Film Festival entry RPG: Metanoia. The film won 2010 Metro Manila Film Festival's 3rd Best Picture, Best Sound Recording and Best Original Theme Song, as well as being nominated in Asia Pacific Screen Awards.
2011-present: Teenage years and Luv UEdit
After his two years of absence in the "Primetime", Aquino once again showed his acting prowess in the ABS-CBN adaptation of Mutya in 2011 where he played the role of "Aries". It was followed by ABS-CBN drama series Kahit Puso'y Masugatan in 2012 where he played the role of Young Balong. He also appeared in Star Cinema's Way Back Home topbilled by Kathryn Bernardo and Julia Montes.
2011 is the turning point of Aquino's life as he officially turns into a teenager. He currently stars as Frederick Drake Lagdameo in the second season of Luv U, opposite Shirley Bernardo portrayed by Sharlene San Pedro. After teaming-up in the series, Aquino and San Pedro are given another series entitled "Si Lulu at si Lili Liit" with Francis Magundayao. It is part of Wansapanataym series that will air one-month long starting March 1.
Aquino enjoys his time with his family and friends. He spends most of his time playing basketball and online games. He also allotted time visiting his Facebook and Twitter account to reach out his fans. Jairus and his family are also active members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day saints.
At age 9, Aquino already saved money from his earnings in working in the entertainment industry. As a matter of fact, he had helped his parents to have their own car, Toyota LT, which he had earned from Lastikman. He states: "Whenever I had to go somewhere else, we had to borrow my father's car. Whereas right now, I already have my own car, though it is only second-hand.[Note 1]
When he was cast in Pieta in 2008, he learns how to cry on set after being taught by the directors Rhayan Carlos and Gilbert Perez and Malou de Guzman. He states: "It was difficult for me to cry before that they had to tell me things before I cry. However, I discovered that drama is just as difficult as comedy because it is difficult to make the Filipinos laugh.[Note 2]
At 9, Aquino takes up a home study program at Angelicum College in order to balance his work and school. He is currently enrolled at Meridian International College
In 2014, Aquino is voted second as the "Most Promising Young Male Star" by fans, behind Nash Aguas. On March 26, Star Cinema created a poll on its website for the most promising young male star. The response from his fans is huge, having a total of 37.57% votes. The production company lists the reasons of him becoming the most promising star, which includes his good acting skills and charm, has "star quality" (talented, skilled, and being loved by people), and remarkable.
In the same year, he, along with his current on-screen partner, Sharlene San Pedro, ranked fourth in another poll for the "Hottest Love Team" by the same website. Once again, fans voted for them, which garnered 14.03% of the total votes. Their loveteam, dubbed as "JaiLene", were just behind "Kath-Niel", "Vice-Rylle" and "Kim-Xi" loveteams.
|2006||D' Lucky Ones||Young Lucky Boy||Star Cinema|
|2007||Resiklo||Arkin||Imus Productions||2007 Metro Manila Film Festival entry; Nominated for Best Child Actor in the 56th FAMAS Awards|
|Supahpapalicious||Cameo Role||Star Cinema|
|2009||Ang Asawa Kong Si Nikulet||Noknok||Star Cinema||Short film|
|OMG (Oh, My Girl!)||Young Biboy||Regal Entertainment|
|Wapakman||Dingdong Meneses||Solar Entertainment||2009 Metro Manila Film Festival official entry|
|Shake, Rattle & Roll 11||Kuya Dave||Regal Entertainment|
|2010||Project Noel||Noel||Miss Earth Foundation||Short Film|
|White House||LJ||Regal Entertainment|
|Super Inday and the Golden Bibe||Francis||Regal Entertainment||2010 Metro Manila Film Festival official entry|
|RPG: Metanoia||Bryan/Mang Ernie (Voice)||Star Cinema||2010 Metro Manila Film Festival official entry|
|2011||Way Back Home||Junior Bartolome||Star Cinema|
|2012||Biyaheng Kariton Klasrom||Bogs||CamErrol Productions||Independent film|
|Amorosa||Jun||Skylight Films & Star Cinema|
|Suddenly It's Magic||Young Marcus||Star Cinema|
|Shake, Rattle and Roll Fourteen: The Invasion||Teen||Regal Entertainment|
|2016||Always Be My Maybe||Tintin's brother||Star Cinema|
|2018||Mary, Marry Me||Young Pete||Ten17P & TINCAN|
|2006||Little Big Superstar||ABS-CBN||Co-host|
|2011||I Dare You||Contestant|
- MYX VJ: 2016-2018
- Aja Aja Tayo: 2018–2019 (Guest Host) twice a month
|Year||Title||Album details||Track listing|
|2007||Little Big Superstar||
|Oldies But Kiddies||
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2008||56th FAMAS Awards||Best Child Actor||Resiklo||Nominated|
|2014||10th ASAP Pop Viewers' Choice Awards||Pop Teen Popsies (with Sharlene San Pedro)||Won|
|2016||11th Myx Music Awards||Favorite MYX Celebrity VJ (shared with Sharlene San Pedro)||MYX VJ Celebrity for the month of February||Nominated|
|2017||Myx Music Awards 2017||Favorite Guest Appearance in a Music Video (shared with Sharlene San Pedro)||"Ferris Wheel"||Nominated|
- Translated from the Filipino language: "Dati po kapag may lakad ako, yung kotse ng daddy ko ang ginagamit namin. Pero ngayon po nakabili na ako ng sarili kong kotse. Pero second-hand lang po yun..."
- Translated from the Filipino language: "Natuto ako umiyak. Kasi dati po ang hirap lumuha, marami pa sila sinasabi sa akin bago ako umiyak. Pero pareho lang din po sa comedy yung hirap kasi mahirap patawanin ang Pilipino."
- "PEP PROMO: "Moose Kids dance album". Pep.ph. Retrieved 2014-05-28.
- "Jairus Aquino: more than just a charming little kid". Telebisyon.net. June 14, 2010. Archived from the original on July 18, 2012. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "Child star is action hero in 'Kung Fu Kids'"[permanent dead link]. ABS-CBN News.
- "Copy of Child star is action hero in 'Kung Fu Kids' article". Pinoy Exchange. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- "Dolfenal-YET". YouTube. Retrieved 2014-05-30.
- Super Inggo. Perf. Makisig Morales, Herbert Bautista, Angelu de Leon. ABS-CBN. 2006. TV Series.
- Little Big Superstar. Perf. Sarah Geronimo, Makisig Morales, Jairus Aquino. ABS-CBN. 2007. TV Show.
- Sarah Geronimo, et.al. Little Big Superstar. 2007. CD.
- PEP.ph. "Mak and The Dudes release debut album "Oldies But Kiddies" | PEP.ph: The Number One Site for Philippine Showbiz". PEP.ph. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- PEP.ph. "Tele-epiko "Rounin" premieres this Monday, April 16 | PEP.ph: The Number One Site for Philippine Showbiz". PEP.ph. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "Super Inggo 1.5 paves the way for Book 2 of the superserye". Archived from the original on December 24, 2007. Retrieved November 29, 2014.
- "Animated TV series "Super Inggo at ang Super Tropa" airs soon on ABS-CBN". Pep.ph. Retrieved 2014-06-01.
- PEP.ph. "Child actor Jairus Aquino leads the pack of "Kung Fu Kids" | PEP.ph: The Number One Site for Philippine Showbiz". PEP.ph. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- beatlebum (May 1, 2009). "The Diary Underneath A Tree: Ang Asawa Kong Si Nikulet Day 1". Beatlebum.blogspot.com. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- "Metro Manila Film Festival:2000". IMDB. Retrieved 2014-04-09.
- "'RPG Metanoia' nominated in Asia Pacific Screen Awards". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved December 26, 2012.
- Mutya. Perf. Mutya Orquia, Jairus Aquino, Precious Lara Quigaman, Alfred Vargas. ABS-CBN. 2011. TV Series.
- Kahit Puso'y Masugatan. Perf. Iza Calzado, Andi Eigenmann, Jake Cuenca, Gabby Concepcion. ABS-CBN. 2012. TV Series.
- "Sharlene, Jairus, and Francis start new love adventure in "Wansapanataym"". ABS-CBN. Retrieved 2014-04-28.
- "8 Famous People Who Are Members Of The Church". Moroni Channel. May 31, 2016. Retrieved August 12, 2019.
- "Who is the most promising young male star?". Star Cinema. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- "The Most Promising Young Male Star is…". Star Cinema. Retrieved 2014-04-29.
- "The 'most kilig' love team is…". Star Cinema. Retrieved 2014-05-21.
- "Yeng Constantino - Ferris Wheel (Official Music Video)". YouTube. Retrieved 5 February 2016
- "ASAP Pop Viewers' Choice 2014 winners announced". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2014-12-03.
- "MYX MUSIC AWARDS 2016: Percentage Of Votes". myxph.com. Retrieved May 4, 2016.
- "FULL LIST: Winners, Myx Music Awards 2017". rappler.com. Retrieved April 23, 2017.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Jairus Aquino.|