Jai Gangaajal (English: Hail the Water of the Ganges) is a 2016 Indian Hindi crime drama film, directed by Prakash Jha. It is a follow-up to the 2003 crime film Gangaajal, and stars Priyanka Chopra in the lead role with Jha appearing in a supporting role. It also features Manav Kaul, Rahul Bhat, and Queen Harish.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Prakash Jha|
|Screenplay by||Prakash Jha|
|Story by||Prakash Jha|
|Edited by||Santosh Mandal|
Prakash Jha Productions
|Distributed by||Play Entertainment|
|Box office||₹495.9 million|
Babloo Pandey (Manav Kaul), the MLA of Bankipur district and his brother Dabloo Pandey (Ninad Kamat) run a jungle raaj in their town of Lakhisarai. They are grabbing land for a power plant whose financiers are backing their party politically. The home minister, Ramakant Chowdhary (Kiran Karmarkar) appoints Abha Mathur, IPS (Priyanka Chopra) as the SP expecting her to be soft towards the criminals and supportive to him, being her mentor as well as the home minister. But she goes all out against the criminal brothers. Her subordinates get encouraged by her brave acts against corruption and slowly bringing the jungle raaj to an end. Bhola Nath Singh aka B.N. Singh (Prakash Jha) is a corrupt circle Officer (DSP) who has helped the brothers for a long time by using legal loopholes and other corrupt ways to keep them out of harm's way in return for financial favours and political support.
As the brothers feel cornered, Dabloo, kidnaps an orphaned teenage girl Sunita (Vega Tamotia), who and her younger brother Nagesh (Ayush Mahesh Khedekar) refuse to give away the land. After the kidnapping, Dabloo rapes and kills the girl and hangs her from a tree showing this as a suicide just as her father had committed suicide too under pressure of selling the land. Singh comes to his senses after seeing this brutal crime and tries to arrest Dabloo Pandey, which starts a riot in the town inducing Nagesh, the younger brother of the murdered girl to use his belt throttle Dabloo's neck and killing him, seeing which the villagers gather around some more goons and the corrupt Sarpanch and kill them and hang them on the tree claiming it to be suicides. This also starts a chain reaction where corrupt people are killed in similar manner elsewhere. Abha is frustrated and is unable to control these illegal killings. She tries her best to control the law and order. Singh is attacked by Babloo and his goons and gets injured. Babloo frantically searches for Nagesh, who has killed Dabloo and is now hidden away by Singh from Babloo. Babloo's goons locate Nagesh and take him in a gunny bag to Babloo, who wants to eliminate him by hanging. But in a final showdown, Babloo Pandey gets arrested and the reign of corruption, terror, and anarchy comes to an end.
- Priyanka Chopra as Abha Mathur, IPS, SP
- Prakash Jha as Bhola Nath Singh aka B.N. Singh,IPS, DSP
- Manav Kaul as MLA Babloo Pandey
- Murli Sharma as Munna Mardani
- Pranay Narayan as Ratnakar
- Rahul Bhat as Pawan Raghav
- Kiran Karmarkar as Ramakant Chowdhary, Home Minister
- Ninad Kamat as Dabloo Pandey
- Vega Tamotia as Sunita
- Ayush Mahesh Khedekar as Nagesh, Sunita's brother
- Jagat Singh Solanki as Amreek Tiwari
- Indraneel Bhattacharya as IG Mithilesh Kumar
- Ritesh M M Shukla as Factory Man
|Soundtrack album by Salim–Sulaiman|
|Released||24 February 2016|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Zee Music Company|
|1.||"Maya Thagni"||Pravesh Mallick||3:38|
|4.||"Dheere Dheere"||Pravesh Mallick||3:23|
|5.||"Ghanghor Ghana Ghan"||Keerthi Sagathia||3:16|
|6.||"Najar Tori Raja"||Richa Sharma||4:29|
|7.||"Binu Baadar"||Divya Kumar||3:45|
|8.||"Sanke Hai San San"||Bappi Lahiri||3:29|
|10.||"Sab Dhan Maati (Radio Mix)"||Arijit Singh||3:47|
|11.||"Sab Dhan Maati"||Amruta Fadnavis||3:46|
Jai Gangaajal got mixed reviews from the critics. Bollywood Hungama gave 3 stars out of 5, mentioning the screenplay engaging, cinematography decent, editing praiseworthy, dialogues excellent. As for the performances, Priyanka Chopra delivers a superlative performance, be it her perfect and impeccable timing or her intimidating screen persona and presence but Prakash Jha pushes himself a bit too hard to get the nuances and the finer points of his character. Rajeev Masand gave the film 2.5 stars out of 5, mentioning it as a predictable police drama filled with the usual stereotypes but added that Priyanka Chopra and Prakash Jha's performances engaging. Srijana Mitra Das from The Times of India gave the film 3.5 stars. She praised the dialogues, editing and story, writing,"It weaves together crucial contemporary threads – land mafias, corrupt netas, broker-cops, broken farmers-with Jha's enduring concern about vigilante justice." She applauded Priyanka Chopra's performance, writing, "Priyanka Chopra shines as 'Madam Sir' Abha Mathur, whose lightning slaps and lathi charges have you applauding. This is a polished, restrained Priyanka, who barely smiles but conveys the ethics and empathy of the law." She commended Rahul Bhat's cameo and the dynamics between BN and Dablu but was disappointed with Manav Kaul's performance in particular. Rohit Vats of Hindustan Times gave 2.5 stars, writing, "Jai Gangaajal is just another attempt at making a blockbuster, but it lacks the depth of Gangaajal and Apharan. Still, there's enough for the audience to keep whistling and clapping." According to him, Prakash Jha is restrained in dialogue delivery and really effective in emotional scenes. He wrote that the storyline doesn't offer anything that haven't seen before but it has tear-inducing moments with explosive dialogues. Writing for NDTV, Saibal Chatterjee gave 2.5 stars, saying, "Despite the topical themes it tackles and all the supercharged action that unfolds on the screen, Jai Gangaajal never really kicks into top gear." Shubhra Gupta from The Indian Express gave only 1.5 stars, writing "Priyanka Chopra's too-sophisticated unmade-up-make-up is very distracting, even in her few convincing moments. And the film goes on for far too long, even when we know how of it all will end." However, she was all praise for Prakash Jha's full-fledged role.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|Award||Category||Recipients and nominees||Result||Ref.|
|9th Mirchi Music Awards||Raag-Inspired Song of the Year||"Sab Dhan Maati (Male)"||Nominated|||
- "Jai Gangaajal". Box Office India. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "'Jai Gangaajal' trailer out: Priyanka Chopra impresses as a tough cop".
- "Prakash Jha's Gangajal 2 renamed as Jai Gangaajal".
- "Working for Jai Gangaajal made Quantico easier: Priyanka Chopra".
- "Prakash Jha signs Rahul Bhat for 'Gangaajal 2'".
- "'Neerja, 'Jai Gangaajal' go tax-free in Madhya Pradesh". Daily News and Analysis. 9 March 2016. Retrieved 10 March 2016.
- "The Bihar versus Punjab war that took place due to Priyanka Chopra". The Times of India.
- "Priyanka Chopra to begin shooting for 'Gangaajal 2' in Bhopal". The Indian Express. 16 June 2015.
- "Priyanka Chopra shoots for Prakash Jha's 'Gangaajal 2' in Bhopal".
- Jai Gangaajal (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Salim-Sulaiman on Apple Music, 2016-02-24, retrieved 2018-03-18
- "Jai Gangaajal Critic Review". bollywoodhungama. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- "'Jai Gangaajal' review: Priyanka Chopra and Prakash Jha's performances keep you engaged". ibnlive. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "Jai Gangaajal Movie Review". timesofindia. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- "Jai Gangaajal review: Priyanka Chopra shines in this predictable drama". hindustantimes. Retrieved 5 March 2016.
- "Jai Gangaajal Movie Review". ndtv. Retrieved 4 March 2016.
- "Jai Gangaajal movie review: Priyanka Chopra's too-sophisticated unmade-up-make-up is very distracting". indianexpress. Retrieved 6 March 2016.
- "MMA Mirchi Music Awards". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 2018-03-26.