Jai Stephen Courtney (//; born 15 March 1986) is an Australian actor. He started his career with small roles in films and television series before being cast as Charlie in the action film Jack Reacher (2012). He then went on to star in A Good Day to Die Hard (2013) and I, Frankenstein (2014). He stars alongside Christopher Plummer in the wartime thriller, The Exception (2016)
Courtney in 2016
Jai Stephen Courtney|
15 March 1986
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
|Residence||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Alma mater||Cherrybrook Technology High School, Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts|
Courtney had a recurring role as Varro in the television series Spartacus: Blood and Sand (2010). He played Eric in the science fiction action film Divergent (2014), and in 2015, he reprised the role in the sequel, Insurgent. He portrayed Kyle Reese in Terminator Genisys and DC Comics villain Captain Boomerang in the 2016 film Suicide Squad.
Courtney was born in Sydney, New South Wales, and grew up in Cherrybrook, a suburb of Sydney. His father, Chris, worked for a state-owned electricity company, and his mother, Karen, was a teacher at Galston Public School, where Courtney and his older sister were students. He then attended Cherrybrook Technology High School and the Western Australian Academy of Performing Arts, graduating in 2008.
Courtney's first role was in a controversial[according to whom?] 2005 short film titled Boys Grammar which also starred Daniel Feuerriegel and Adam J. Yeend. In 2008, Courtney had a role in the Australian series Packed to the Rafters, then a guest lead in the popular All Saints, the comedy feature To Hell & Bourke and several short films. In 2010, he played Varro in Spartacus: Blood and Sand for 10 episodes, before starring in Jack Reacher in 2012 with Tom Cruise and in A Good Day to Die Hard with Bruce Willis as John McClane's son, Jack.
Courtney played Eric, one of the leaders of the faction Dauntless, in the film Divergent (2014). Later, he starred in Unbroken, where he played Hugh "Cup" Cuppernell and The Water Diviner as Lt. Col. Hughes. He reprised his role of Eric in the sequel The Divergent Series: Insurgent (2015), which began filming May 2014 and was released 20 March 2015.
Courtney played one of the leads, Kyle Reese, in the science fiction action film Terminator Genisys. Filming on Terminator Genisys began in April/May 2014, and the film was released on 1 July 2015. Courtney worked on Terminator and Insurgent concurrently.
Courtney provided backing vocals on the Pinch Hitter song "All of a Sudden" from their debut album, When Friends Die in Accidents.
In March 2015, Courtney signed on to play Captain Boomerang in the DC Comics film Suicide Squad, alongside Will Smith, Jared Leto and Margot Robbie. Filming began in April 2015 and the film was released in August 2016.
|2013||A Good Day to Die Hard||John "Jack" McClane, Jr.|
|2014||Felony||Jim Melic||Nominated – Australian Film Critics Association Award for Best Actor in a Supporting Role|
Nominated – Film Critics Circle of Australia Award for Best Actor - Supporting Role
|2014||Unbroken||Hugh "Cup" Cuppernell|
|2014||The Water Diviner||Lt. Col. Cyril Hughes|
|2015||The Divergent Series: Insurgent||Eric Coulter|
|2015||Terminator Genisys||Kyle Reese|
|2015||Man Down||Devin Roberts|
|2016||Suicide Squad||George "Digger" Harkness / Captain Boomerang|
|2016||The Exception||Capt. Stefan Brandt|
|2019||Storm Boy||Hideaway Tom|
|2008||All Saints||Harry Avent||2 episodes|
|2008–2009||Packed to the Rafters||Damian||2 episodes|
|2010||Spartacus: Blood and Sand||Varro||8 episodes|
|2017||Wet Hot American Summer: Ten Years Later||Garth MacArthur|
- Corinne Heller (4 December 2014). "Jai Courtney, Terminator Genisys Star: 5 Things to Know About the Australian Hottie". E!. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Blumer, Clare (23 April 2012). "Die Hard Jai". The Global Mail. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Roach, Vicky (3 December 2012). "Jai Courtney's not just a face in the crowd". News.com.au. Retrieved 26 September 2015.
- Edwards, Matt (24 February 2012). "WAAPA graduate Jai Courtney cast opposite Bruce Willis". Aussie Theatre. Retrieved 13 June 2017.
- Naglazas, Mark (21 March 2013). "WAAPA graduate has roles to die for". The West Australian. Retrieved 29 March 2013.
- Eisenberg, Eric (29 September 2011). "Spartacus Star Jai Courtney Joins Tom Cruise In One Shot". CinemaBlend.com.
- Gilchrist, Todd; McClintock, Pamela (22 February 2012). "'A Good Day to Die Hard:' Jai Courtney Cast as Bruce Willis' Son". The Hollywood Reporter.
- White, James (22 February 2012). "Jai Courtney Will Die Hard". Empire.
- "Jai Courtney Joins Joel Edgerton In Aussie Thriller 'Felony'". Deadline Hollywood. 15 October 2012.
- Fleming, Mike (24 October 2013). "Jai Courtney Tapped For Angelina Jolie's 'Unbroken', Russell Crowe's 'Water Diviner'". Deadline Hollywood. Retrieved 19 January 2014.
- Tracy Brown (19 March 2015). "'Insurgent': Jai Courtney talks Eric's journey, 'Terminator'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- Kroll, Justin (19 February 2014). "Jai Courtney to Play Kyle Reese in 'Terminator' Reboot (EXCLUSIVE)". Variety. Retrieved 19 February 2014.
- Rose, Tiffany (March 2014). "Jai Courtney and Miles Teller Talk 'Divergent', 'Terminator' and 'Fantastic Four'". Screen Rant.
- Sacks, Ethan (19 February 2014). "Jai Courtney cast in 'Terminator: Genisys'". New York Daily News.
- Kroll, Justin (27 March 2014). "Jai Courtney Officially Signs on to 'Terminator'". Variety.
- "Track by Track: Pinch Hitter : Mess+Noise". Mess+Noise. 17 November 2014. Retrieved 3 December 2014.
- Brent Lang (17 March 2015). "Jai Courtney Says 'Suicide Squad' Will Be 'Huge'". Variety. Retrieved 2 April 2015.
- "Jai Courtney, who plays Captain Boomerang, with his girlfriend Mecki Dent | Suicide Squad London premiere in pictures: join Margot Robbie, Cara Delevingne & a very green Jared Leto on the red carpet - Film". Telegraph.co.uk. 2016-08-03. Retrieved 2016-08-22.