Jackfield Halt railway station
Jackfield Halt was an unstaffed request stop on the Severn Valley line in Shropshire, England. Originally opened at Jackfield, west of Maw and Company's private sidings in 1934, it comprised a simple wooden platform and shelter.
|Area||Telford and Wrekin|
|Original company||Great Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||Great Western Railway|
|3 December 1934||Station opened|
|1 March 1954||Station resited|
|9 September 1963||Station closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
In 1952 the area suffered a severe landslide, during which the line and halt moved around 25 feet towards the river. The halt was relocated by around ¼ mile to a new position east of these sidings, reopening on 1 March 1954.
The planned closure of the northern end of the Severn Valley Line including Jackfield Halt pre-dated the Beeching report. The re-located halt was demolished shortly after closure and no remains are now visible. The trackbed in the area forms part of National Cycle Route 45, named the Mercian Way.
Jackfield Sidings were situated ½ mile closer to Ironbridge. A set of level crossing gates in the centre of these sidings is still in situ, together with three short lengths of track side by side just forward of the crossing gates. What appears to be a platform at that location formed part of these sidings but was not associated with either of the passenger halts.
- Vanns, Michael A. (2013). Severn Valley Railway, A View from the Past. Shrewsbury: Shrewdale Publishing. p. 46. ISBN 978-0-9575898-0-3.
- Stretton, John (2010). The Severn Valley Railway Volume 2, A Past and Present Companion. Kettering: Past & Present Publishing. ISBN 978-1-85895-264-2.
- Nabarro, Sir Gerald (1971). Severn Valley Steam. London: Routledge & Kegan Paul. p. 39. ISBN 0-7100-7064-0.
- Plaque on Jackfield Sidings crossing
- Mitchell, Vic; Smith, Keith (2007). Kidderminster to Shrewsbury. Middleton Press. figs. 88-89. ISBN 9781906008109. OCLC 154801530.
|Preceding station||Disused railways||Following station|
|Ironbridge and Broseley
Line and station closed
|Great Western Railway
Severn Valley Railway
Line and station closed
|This article about a Shropshire building or structure is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article on a railway station in the West Midlands region is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|