Jack Schofield (journalist)
Jack Schofield is a British technology journalist. He writes the Ask Jack column for The Guardian and preceding that covered technology for the newspaper from 1983 to 2010. He has edited photography and computing periodicals and produced a number of books on photography and on computing, including The Darkroom Book (1981).
Schofield edited various photography magazines during the 1970s: Photo Technique, Film Making, You & Your Camera (a partwork), and Zoom as well as the journal of the Royal Photographic Society, The Photographic Journal.
In 1983, he started writing a weekly computer column in Futures Micro Guardian, from its first issue, in The Guardian. He also became editor of the monthly Practical Computing in 1984. In September 1985 he joined The Guardian's staff to launch Computer Guardian, the newspaper's weekly computer supplement. He continued to cover technology for The Guardian until 2010 when he switched to solely writing the newspaper's Ask Jack column.
Publications by SchofieldEdit
- The Darkroom Book: the comprehensive step-by-step guide to processing your colour or black-and-white photographs. Schofield was consulting editor.
- Photographing People. Littlehampton Book Services, 1982. ISBN 978-0600384731.
- Nude and Glamour Photography. You & Your Camera Photography Series. Glasgow: Collins, 1981, 1982. Schofield was consultant editor. ISBN 978-0004116396.
- How Famous Photographers Work. New York: Amphoto, 1983. Edited by Schofield. ISBN 9780817440022.
- Improve Your Camera Techniques. Feltham, UK: Newnes, 1985. Edited by Schofield. ISBN 9780600332657.
- The Guardian Guide to Microcomputing. Oxford, UK; New York: Blackwell, 1985. Hardback, ISBN 978-0631143031. Paperback, ISBN 9780631143048. "A selection of the author's columns from the MicroFutures page of the Guardian, rewritten and revised".
- The Hutchinson Dictionary of Computing, Mulitmedia, and the Internet. By Schofield, Wendy M. Grossman and David Goul. Oxford, UK: Helicon, 1996, 1997. ISBN 978-1859861592.
- "Jack Schofield - Computer Editor @ The Guardian". Crunchbase. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- "Guardian hack fails to Ask Jack about IE popups". The Inquirer. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- Schofield, Jack; Arthur, Charles (16 December 2009). "Guardian technology section 1983-2009, by the people who edited it". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Schofield, Jack (21 February 2007). "Ars Technica reviews Adobe's Lightroom". The Guardian. Retrieved 2018-06-27.
- Schofield, Jack (18 January 2010). "What happened to Ask Jack?". The Guardian. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Columns". Reuters. Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Jack Schofield: Freelance blogger". ZDNet. Accessed 27 June 2018.
- Jack Schofield, "Nominet Presents The Story of the Web: Celebrating 25 years of the World Wide Web". Nominet UK. Accessed 27 June 2018
- Schofield, Jack. The Guardian guide to microcomputing. Oxford, UK; New York, NY, USA: Blackwell. ISBN 9780631143048 – via Open WorldCat.