Jab Harry Met Sejal
Jab Harry Met Sejal (English: When Harry Met Sejal) is a 2017 Indian romantic comedy film written and directed by Imtiaz Ali. It features Anushka Sharma and Shah Rukh Khan in the lead roles, their third collaboration after Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (2008) and Jab Tak Hai Jaan (2012). Pre-production of the film begun in April 2015 and principal photography commenced in August 2016 in Prague, Amsterdam, Vienna, Lisbon and Budapest.
|Jab Harry Met Sejal|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Imtiaz Ali|
|Produced by||Gauri Khan|
|Written by||Imtiaz Ali|
|Edited by||Aarti Bajaj|
|Distributed by||Red Chillies Entertainment|
|Box office||₹147.75 crore|
Harinder "Harry" Singh Nehra (Shah Rukh Khan) is a tourist guide, currently working in Amsterdam. He is shown to be a lonely man and a "cheap womaniser" as he calls himself, also with his clients and thus risking his job, but is a friendly and helpful guide.
After dropping a family at the airport, Harry comes across Sejal Zaveri (Anushka Sharma), a member of the same family, who has lost her engagement ring and wants him to help her. Harry initially doesn’t want to, but to avoid an eventual complain of Sejal to his agency that might make him lose his job, he reluctantly agrees to help. In due course of time while searching for the ring, they become friendly and he tells her that he had left his village, Nurmahal and came to Canada to become a singer, which did not work out and that is how he slowly became a tour guide.
Both Harry and Sejal travel to places in Europe where he had initially taken the family, in search of the ring. During this, Harry ends up falling in love with Sejal, but does not reveal it to her, knowing that she is engaged to Rupen (Kavi Shastri). They soon learn that a criminal, Ghyassuddin Mohammed Qureshi “Gas” (Chandan Roy Sanyal), has stolen the ring. They go to Gas to retrieve the ring but Harry gets thrashed by Gas' men. Later, while looking for antiseptics in her bag for Harry, Sejal finds the ring and realises that the ring was in her bag all along. However, she does not tell Harry, as she wants to spend some more time with him and is unknowingly falling in love with him as well.
The next day, Harry and Sejal fly to Frankfurt for the wedding between Harry’s friend Mayank (Aru Krishansh Verma) and Irina (Evelyn Sharma), where both get questioned by them about their relationship, seeing their evident chemistry. After the wedding, Harry and Sejal get into an argument about it. Harry doesn’t admit his feelings, as he feels he is not good enough for her and she decides to fly back home.
At the airport, Sejal shows Harry the ring and tells him that she found it few days ago and that it was in her bag all along. He asks her to take care and bids her goodbye.
She returns to India and he returns to his work, but begins to miss her and gets depressed, not being able to concentrate during work. On Mayank's insistence, Harry flies to Mumbai to go to her wedding in hope to talk to her about his unrevealed feelings before she marries. On reaching the venue, he learns that Sejals's marriage was called off. He walks out to find her sitting outside. They eventually share their feelings for each other and kiss and go to Harry's village, Nurmahal in Punjab, where he reunites with his family and marries Sejal.
Jab Harry Met Sejal was initially conceived about a man trying to commit suicide. However, after Khan met Ali, the former suggested to revitalise the story by making it a more jolly film.
Production of the film began in April 2016 and plans to filming were announced in the first part of August 2016, when the film had the working title "Production No. 52". Sharma required several months of diction training to prepare herself for her role, as her character is from Gujarat. She describes her character as "very superficial, doesn’t have any depth as a person. There is no similarity with me. But her morals and values of self-respect are something that I can relate to. But otherwise, the character is quite impulsive by nature."
The film underwent a lot of name changes throughout its production phase from The Ring to Rahnuma to Raula until it was finalised with Jab Harry Met Sejal.] When the title of the film was finally revealed, it received considerable backlash from people who accused that it must be a copy of the 1989 Hollywood iconic film When Harry Met Sally... or that it must have been inspired by it. However, contrary to popular beliefs, the two films have no similarity or connection with one another except both falls under the same genre and the two protagonist start off as strangers. Khan explained, "When Harry Met Sally... is one of the greatest love stories ever made in the history of world cinema. Our film on the other hand, is quite original, a fun space love story by Imtiaz Ali. But it is a takeoff from there as that movie is a classic. It is a way to attribute."
In an interview with The Indian Express, Khan discussed about the possible epilogue of the movie; the couple had three children and moved to a small town for some time. Sejal then works as a lawyer while Harry takes time off and writes a book. The former takes the role of a working partner while the latter looks after the children.
|Jab Harry Met Sejal|
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||3 August 2017|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Label||Sony Music India|
|Singles from Jab Harry Met Sejal|
The music of the film is composed by Pritam while the lyrics have been penned by Irshad Kamil. The first song of the film titled as "Radha" sung by Shahid Mallya and Sunidhi Chauhan was released on 21 June 2017. The second song "Beech Beech Mein" sung by Arijit Singh, Shalmali Kholgade and Shefali Alvares was released on 3 July 2017. The third song "Safar" sung by Arijit Singh was released on 10 July 2017. The fourth song "Butterfly" sung by Dev Negi, Chauhan, Aman Trikha and Nooran Sisters was released on 13 July 2017. The fifth song "Hawayein" sung by Singh was unveiled on 26 July 2017. The sixth and last song titled "Phurrr" was composed by the American DJ Diplo and Pritam. It was sung by DJ Diplo, Pritam, Mohit Chauhan and Tushar Joshi and was released on 3 August 2017. The soundtrack was released by Sony Music India on 3 August 2017. 
|1.||"Radha"||Sunidhi Chauhan, Shahid Mallya||5:02|
|2.||"Beech Beech Mein"||Arijit Singh, Shalmali Kholgade, Shefali Alvares||3:26|
|4.||"Butterfly"||Dev Negi, Sunidhi Chauhan, Aman Trikha, Nooran Sisters||4:41|
|6.||"Parinda"||Pardeep Singh Sran||3:12|
|7.||"Ghar"||Mohit Chauhan, Nikhita Gandhi||3:41|
|8.||"Yaadon Mein"||Mohammed Irfan, Jonita Gandhi, Cuca Roseta, Arjun Chandy||5:35|
|9.||"Raula"||Diljit Dosanjh, Neeti Mohan||4:16|
|10.||"Jee Ve Sohaneya"||Nooran Sisters||4:10|
|11.||"Phurrr" (Film Version)||Diplo, Pritam, Mohit Chauhan, Tushar Joshi||3:25|
|12.||"Hawayein" (Film Version)||Arijit Singh||5:07|
Debarati S Sen of The Times of India commented that they have made an "enjoyable album", "which captures the usual genres that characterises a typical Bollywood film, well enough". Joginder Tuteja of Bollywood Hungama rated 4 out of 5 stars to the album.
The film was initially set for an August 11, 2017 release. However, it was later moved a week earlier to August 4 to avoid the movie Toilet: Ek Prem Katha averting a possible box office clash. Its release date in Dubai and United Arab Emirates was pushed from early Thursday morning – which has been the norm for Bollywood films – to Friday evening to prevent pirated versions of the film or its spoilers from getting leaked. However, after a backlash, it was decided to release it on its original release date, August 3, at 6 PM GST.
The film was released on 3400 screens worldwide.
Anita Iyer of Khaleej Times rated the film 2.5 out of 5 stars and said, "The movie goes through its ebb and flow, and all you can do is enjoy the good bits, till they last." Manjusha Radhakrishnan of Gulf News also rated it 2.5 stars out of 5, saying "The climax isn't ground-breaking, however, the cinematography that highlights the beauty of a handful European countries is pleasing to watch."
The Times Of India gave the movie 3 stars of out 5 and wrote, "Sound advice here would be that you actually buy yourself a tour ticket to Europe and soak in the sights for real. But, if you want to settle for a cheaper option of touring the continent inside a cinema hall, buy yourself a JHMS ticket and get transported to the land of make-believe captured indulgently by cinematographer K U Mohanan, with the added advantage of a Punjabi `munda’ playing your friend, philosopher, lover and guide." Filmfare Magazine gave the movie 3 stars out of 5 stating that, "JHMS is a happy romantic comedy that you can sing and dance along with. Pritam's music is a stand out feature. The performances are really strong".
NDTV gave JHMS 2/5 and wrote, "It is cinema's equivalent of a shiny bauble that glitters wholly in vain. Watch it only if you fancy a vicarious romp through Europe with an off-colour megastar trying hard to get going". Shubhra Gupta, critic of Indian Express gave JHMS 1.5 stars out of 5 stars while calling it a dud. Giving Jab Harry Met Sejal 2 stars out of 5, Hindustan Times wrote, "Lethargic storytelling kills Shah Rukh Khan, Anushka Sharma's film. It's a big disappointment to see Shah Rukh Khan returning to his comfort zone and yet not performing on top of his powers." Bollywood Hungama gave the film 2 stars out of 5 and wrote, "Jab Harry Met Sejal has its moments. But the film is riddled with cliches and flaws that takes the film down, thanks to the poor script."
The film's box office gross is ₹147.75 crore (US$21 million), including ₹80.11 crore (US$11 million) in India and ₹67.6 crore (US$9.4 million) overseas. The film under-performed at the domestic box office. However, the film was an overseas success, grossing US$10 million overseas, making it the year's second highest overseas grosser, behind only Raees, another Shah Rukh Khan starrer.
The film collected ₹15.25 crore on opening day, becoming the lowest opener for a Shah Rukh Khan film in three years. On the second day, it collected ₹15 crores, followed by its third day's collection of ₹15.50 crores, bringing its first weekend's collection to ₹45.75 crores, and making it 2017's sixth-highest first-weekend-collecting Bollywood film in the domestic market.
On the first day, the film collected ₹50.57 lakh (US$70,000) from 27 screens in Australia, ₹20.83 lakh (US$29,000) from 20 screens in New Zealand, ₹1.10 crore (US$150,000) from 104 screens in the United Kingdom, ₹2.44 crore (US$340,000) from 252 screens in the United States and ₹58.26 lakh (US$81,000) from 26 screens in Canada. On the second day, the film collected ₹18.96 lakh (US$26,000) from 10 screens in Australia, ₹16.01 lakh (US$22,000) from 16 screens in New Zealand, ₹1.17 crore (US$160,000) from 105 screens in the UK, ₹2.53 crore (US$350,000) from 251 screens in the US and ₹71.75 lakh (US$100,000) from 26 screens in Canada. On the first Sunday, it collected ₹33.30 lakh (US$46,000) from 31 screens in Australia, ₹12.01 lakh (US$17,000) from 21 screens in New Zealand, ₹79.69 lakh (US$110,000) from 106 screens in the UK, ₹1.57 crore (US$220,000) from 249 screens in the US and ₹47.17 lakh (US$66,000) from 26 screens in Canada. On the fourth day of release, the film collected ₹7.29 lakh (US$10,000) from 23 screens in Australia and ₹3.78 lakh (US$5,300) from 18 screens in New Zealand.
|International Indian Film Academy Awards||Best Playback Singer Male||Arijit Singh - "Hawayein"||Won|||
|10th Mirchi Music Awards||Song of The Year||"Hawayein"|||
|Album of The Year||Pritam, Irshad Kamil|
|Male Vocalist of The Year||Arijit Singh - "Hawayein"|
|Music Composer of The Year||Pritam - "Hawayein"|
|Lyricist of The Year||Irshad Kamil - "Hawayein"|
|Irshad Kamil - "Safar"||Nominated|
|Female Vocalist of The Year||Nikhita Gandhi - "Ghar"|
|Best Song Producer (Programming & Arranging)||Tanuj Tiku, Dj Phukan & Sunny M.R. - "Ghar"|
|Best Background Score||Hitesh Sonik|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Music Album||Pritam|||
|Best Playback Singer (Female)||Nikhita Gandhi - "Ghar"|
|Asian Customer Engagement Forum and Awards||Capability Award - Best Use of Social Media for Jab Harry Met Sejal||Red Chillies Entertainment - "Safar"||Won|||
- Box Office India
- Box Office India
- "Shah Rukh Khan - Anushka Sharma's film 'Jab Harry Met Sejal' to release on August 4". Times of India. 9 June 2017. Archived from the original on 10 June 2017.
- "Jab Harry Met Sejal box office collection day 4: Shah Rukh Khan, Anushka Sharma film earns Rs 52.9 crores". The Indian Express. Retrieved 12 August 2017.
The film has massively failed to impress both critics and fans.
- "Box Office: Tubelight Vs Jab Harry Met Sejal – Which movie grossed more worldwide?". Bollywood Hungama. 25 August 2017.
- Sanyukta Iyer (9 June 2017). "SHAH RUKH KHAN: IMTIAZ ALI IS MODERN-DAY YASH CHOPRA". Mumbai Mirror. Archived from the original on 5 July 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "'Jab Harry Met Sejal': Interesting facts about Shah Rukh Khan-Anushka Sharma's movie". The Times of India. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- "Shah Rukh Khan and Anushka Sharma team up for Imtiaz Ali's next"
- "Shah Rukh Khan-Imtiaz Ali film to be called The Ring, clash with Akshay Kumar's Crack?". First Post. 16 August 2016. Archived from the original on 19 August 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- Sarkar, Prarthna (22 August 2016). "Revealed: Shah Rukh Khan's name, Anushka Sharma's role and other details you need to know about Imtiaz Ali's 'The Ring'". International Business Times. Archived from the original on 23 August 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Sejal is very superficial, doesn't have any depth: Anushka talks about Jab Harry Met Sejal". Hindustan Times. July 30, 2017. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- [https://www.mid-day.com/articles/the-ring-rehnuma-raula-title-shah-rukh-khan-anushka-sharma-imtiaz-ali-film-bollywood-news/18127180 'The Ring', 'Rehnuma' or 'Raula': What's the title of Shah Rukh Khan and Anushka Sharma's next film?
- "Jab Harry Met Sejal a copy of When Harry Met Sally? Here's what SRK said". India TV News. June 10, 2017. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- "Shah Rukh Khan on Jab Harry Met Selja: No Similarity with When Harry Met Sally". India Today. June 10, 2017. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- Alaka Sahani (July 30, 2017). "Jab Harry Met Sejal actor Shah Rukh Khan: It is the most beautiful feeling to be a star". The Indian Express. Retrieved August 1, 2017.
- "Watch: Shah Rukh Khan begins shooting for Imtiaz Ali's 'The Ring' in Prague". Times of India. 21 August 2016. Archived from the original on 24 August 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Shah Rukh begins filming Imtiaz Ali's next in Prague". The Hindu. 21 August 2016. ISSN 0971-751X. Archived from the original on 21 August 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Shah Rukh and Anushka head to Amsterdam for 'The Ring'"
- "Shah Rukh Khan shoots for Imtiaz Ali's The Ring, shares its first look". Indian Express. 22 August 2016. Archived from the original on 23 August 2016. Retrieved 23 August 2016.
- "Sony Music acquires music rights of Shah Rukh Khan's next for Rs. 15 crores". Bollywood Hungama. 3 April 2017. Archived from the original on 28 July 2017. Retrieved 22 June 2017.
- Team, Koimoi.com. "Pritam To Compose Music For Shah Rukh Khan's Next". www.koimoi.com. Archived from the original on 28 August 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- "Imtiaz Ali prefers Pritam over Rahman for his romantic films – Times of India.Reedited by Rupesh Rupesh from malangwa". Archived from the original on 20 October 2016. Retrieved 25 August 2016.
- Phurr: DJ Diplo composes song for Shah Rukh Khan's Jab Harry Met Sejal Archived 28 July 2017 at the Wayback Machine.
- Debarati S Sen (29 July 2017). "Album Review: Jab Harry Met Sejal". The Times of India. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Joginder Tuteja (31 July 2017). "Music Review: Jab Harry Met Sejal". Bollywood Hungama. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- "The curious case of Jab Harry Met Sejal's release date". Daily News & Analysis. August 2, 2017. Retrieved August 2, 2017.
- quintdaily (August 3, 2017). "Jab Harry Met Sejal Review, Rating & Box Office Collection – QuintDaily".
- Karan Shah (August 3, 2017). "Oh No! Shah Rukh Khan's Jab Harry Met Sejal to have a DELAYED release in Dubai – Read EXCLUSIVE details". Hollywood Life. Retrieved August 3, 2017.
- Jab Harry Met Sejal early box office report: Shah Rukh Khan, Anushka Sharma’s film gets a roaring response
- Anita Iyer (4 August 2017). "'Jab Harry Met Sejal' movie review: The plot is lost in Europe's scenic beauty". Khaleej Times. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Manjusha Radhakrishnan (4 August 2017). "Review: SRK rusty in 'Jab Harry Met Sejal'". Gulf News. Retrieved 4 August 2017.
- Yahoo Movie Review: SRK delivers simplistic but complete entertainer
- Jab Harry Met Sejal Movie Review: A Journey That Will Make You Fall In Love With Your Own Life
- Movie Review: Jab Harry Met Sejal
- Jab Harry Met Sejal Movie Review: Shah Rukh Khan, Anushka Sharma's Film Riddled With Toe-Curling Mush
- Jab Harry Met Sejal movie review: This Shah Rukh Khan and Anushka Sharma film is a dud
- Jab Harry Met Sejal movie review: Shah Rukh Khan spearheads this banal show with Anushka in tow
- "Box Office: Secret Superstar is now the 6th highest grosser of 2017 in overseas". Bollywood Hungama. 7 November 2017.
- "Box Office: Jab Harry Met Sejal takes an expectedly good opening of Rs. 15.25 crores on Day 1". Bollywood Hungama. 5 August 2017. Retrieved 6 August 2017.
- "Jab Harry Met Sejal box office: At Rs 15.25 cr, this is Shah Rukh Khan's lowest opener in years". Hindustan Times. 5 August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Box Office: Jab Harry Met Sejal becomes the 6th highest opening weekend grosser of 2017". Bollywood Hungama. 7 August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Jab Harry Met Sejal: Shah Rukh Khan, Anushka Sharma fail to cross Rs 50cr mark over weekend". Hindustan Times. 7 August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Jab Harry Met Sejal total collection: SRK's lowest 1st weekend in 5 yrs". India Today. 7 August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Box Office: Jab Harry Met Sejal Day 1 in overseas". Bollywood Hungama. August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Box Office: Jab Harry Met Sejal Day 2 in overseas". Bollywood Hungama. 5 August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Box Office: Jab Harry Met Sejal Day 3 in overseas". Bollywood Hungama. 6 August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- "Box Office: Jab Harry Met Sejal Day 4 in overseas". Bollywood Hungama. 7 August 2017. Retrieved 7 August 2017.
- IIFA Awards 2018: Winners, performances and everything else you should know
- "Nominations - Mirchi Music Awards 2017". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- "Winners - Mirchi Music Awards 2017". MMAMirchiMusicAwards. Retrieved 2018-03-13.
- Nominations for JIO Filmfare Awards 2018
- Customer Engagement Award Winners for Branding & Marketing 2017