JB Marks Local Municipality
JB Marks Local Municipality is a local municipality of South Africa. It was established after the August 2016 local elections by the merging of Tlokwe Local Municipality (which included Potchefstroom) and Ventersdorp Local Municipality.
JB Marks Local Municipality
Map of the North West with JB Marks highlighted
|District||Dr Kenneth Kaunda|
|• Type||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Kgotso Khumalo (ANC)|
|• Speaker||Elisa Mogoeemang (ANC)|
|• Total||6,398 km2 (2,470 sq mi)|
|• Density||34/km2 (89/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+2 (SAST)|
The municipality was renamed after JB Marks in 2017, following the creation of the new municipality the year before. Other name proposals included Josie Mpama. Marks was born in Ventersdorp while Mpama was born in Potchefstroom.
The municipal council consists of seventy-seven members elected by mixed-member proportional representation. Thirty-four councillors are elected by first-past-the-post voting in thirty-four wards, while the remaining thirty-three are chosen from party lists so that the total number of party representatives is proportional to the number of votes received. In the election of 3 August 2016 the African National Congress (ANC) won a narrow majority of thirty-four seats on the council. In October 2020, JB Marks mayor Kgotso Moses Khumalo and municipal director Cyril Hendry were arrested for fraud and theft involving R5m and appeared in the Potchefstroom Magistrate's Court.
|Economic Freedom Fighters||4,927||4,885||9,812||7.5||0||5||5|
|Freedom Front Plus||3,586||3,471||7,057||5.4||0||4||4|
|Congress of the People||21||574||595||0.5||0||0||0|
|Pan Africanist Congress||44||151||195||0.2||0||0||0|
The 2011 census indicated the following prevalence of languages for the combined municipalities of Tlokwe and Ventersdorp: 67.1% Setswana; 17.4% Afrikaans; 4.2% English; 1.4% IsiZulu; 1.3% Sesotho; 1.0% IsiXhosa; 0.8% IsiNdebele ... 
- "DA to be watchdog of ANC in North West". OFM.
- Sum of the statistics from Census 2011 for Tlokwe, Ventersdorp.
- "The Local Government Handbook". Retrieved 6 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- News24 - New names for Potch municipality. Retrieved on 5 April 2017
- "Hawks arrest JB Marks mayor and director for fraud and theft involving R5m". News 24. 23 October 2020. Retrieved 24 December 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Results Summary – All Ballots: Potchefstroom" (PDF). Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Seat Calculation Detail: Potchefstroom" (PDF). Independent Electoral Commission. Retrieved 24 August 2016. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Africa, Statistics South. "Local Municipality | Statistics South Africa".