J. Y. Pillay
Joseph Yuvaraj Pillay, Singapore Council of Presidential Advisers from 2005 to 2019. He was appointed acting President of Singapore following the end of President Tony Tan's term on 31 August 2017. He served 34 years (until 1995) as a top-ranking civil servant and an entrepreneur. He is one of the pioneers who helped build the Singapore economy after its separation from Malaysia in 1965.(born 30 March 1934), also known as J. Y. Pillay, was the chairman of the
J. Y. Pillay
|President of Singapore|
1 September 2017 – 14 September 2017
|Prime Minister||Lee Hsien Loong|
|Preceded by||Tony Tan|
|Succeeded by||Halimah Yacob|
|Chairman of the Council of Presidential Advisers|
September 2005 – 2 January 2019
|President||S. R. Nathan|
|Preceded by||Sim Kee Boon|
|Succeeded by||Eddie Teo|
|Born||30 March 1934|
Klang, Malay States (now Malaysia)
Beatrice Rasammah (m. 1963)
|Alma mater||Imperial College London|
Life and careerEdit
Temasek chairman and former top civil servant S.Dhanabalan
His most significant contribution was building Singapore Airlines into a world-class carrier. He served as Chairman of Singapore Airlines from 1972 until 1996. He is one of the few Civil Service officers to reach Staff Grade III.
- "J. Y. Pillay a pioneer in public, private sectors". The Straits Times. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- "J Y Pillay Profile". National University Singapore. Archived from the original on 5 September 2012. Retrieved 15 August 2012.
- Lee, S.H. (10 April 1998). "Ex-SIA chiefs honored as "legends'". The Straits Times.
- Ibrahim, Zuraidah (26 March 1995). "J. Y. Pillay: Visionary with a clear focus". The Straits Times.
- "J Y Pillay to step down as SGX chairman at year-end". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 14 September 2010.
- "Tiger Airways: Appointed Mr. J Y Pillay As Non-Executive Chairman". ShareInvestor. Retrieved 29 August 2012.
- "Istana — Council of Presidential Advisers". Istana, Singapore. Archived from the original on 15 August 2012. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
- "Pillay takes on role of acting president". The Straits Times. Retrieved 8 September 2017.
- "NUS honours Prof J Y Pillay".
- "NUS honours J Y Pillay". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 17 January 2012.
- "J Y Pillay awarded highest public service honour". Channel NewsAsia. Retrieved 14 August 2012.
| President of Singapore