Ivan Sokolov (Cyrillic: Иван Соколов; born 13 June 1968) is a Dutch-Bosnian chess player and writer. He was awarded the title of Grandmaster (GM) by FIDE in 1987. Sokolov won the 1988 Yugoslav Championship and in 1995 and 1998 the Dutch Championship.
|Born||June 13, 1968|
Jajce, SR Bosnia and Herzegovina, Yugoslavia
|FIDE rating||2590 (December 2022)|
|Peak rating||2706 (January 2004)|
|Peak ranking||No. 13 (July 1996)|
Following his playing career, Sokolov has become a successful chess trainer. From 2013 - 2016 he worked as a coach and second for Salem Saleh and served as the trainer of the United Arab Emirates national team. In 2016 he left his job in the UAE to coach Iran's national team, a position that included extensive work with Alireza Firouzja. Sokolov became the coach of the Uzbek national team in May 2022, leading them to victory in the Chennai Olympiad later that year.
- Sokolov, Ivan (1995). Nimzo-Indian Defence: Classical Variation. Cadogan Books. ISBN 978-18-5744-120-8.
- Sokolov, Ivan (1997). Sokolov's Best Games. Everyman Publishers. ISBN 978-18-5744-128-4.
- Sokolov, Ivan (2008). Winning Chess Middlegames: An Essential Guide to Pawn Structures. New In Chess. ISBN 978-90-5691-264-2.
- Sokolov, Ivan (2009). The Ruy Lopez Revisited: Offbeat Weapons & Unexplored Resources. New In Chess. ISBN 978-90-5691-297-0.
- Sokolov, Ivan (2012). The Strategic Nimzo-Indian: A Complete Guide to the Rubinstein Variation. New In Chess. ISBN 978-90-5691-378-6.
- Sokolov, Ivan (2013). Die hohe Schule des Mittelspiels im Schach: Gewinnen in d4 - Bauernstrukturen (in German). New In Chess (translated by Hansen, Hans). ISBN 978-90-5691-432-5.
- Sokolov, Ivan (2013). Sacrifice and Initiative in Chess: Seize the Moment to Get the Advantage. New In Chess. ISBN 978-90-5691-431-8.
- Gaige, Jeremy (1987). Chess Personalia, A Biobibliography. McFarland. p. 398. ISBN 0-7864-2353-6.
- "Dr. Milan Vidmar Memorial Tournaments". sah-zveza.si. Archived from the original on 8 February 2012. Retrieved 6 April 2010.
- Crowther, Mark (2000-10-09). "TWIC 309: 1st European Rapid Championships". The Week in Chess. Retrieved 9 January 2016.
- Doggers (PeterDoggers), Peter. "Interview: Captain Ivan Sokolov On Coaching Gold-Winning Uzbek Chess Squad". Chess.com. Retrieved 2022-09-05.
- Ivan Sokolov chess games at 365Chess.com
- Ivan Sokolov player profile and games at Chessgames.com
- Sagar Shah (2015-01-08). "Interview with Ivan Sokolov (1/2)". ChessBase. Retrieved 16 January 2016.
- Sagar Shah (2015-01-09). "Interview with Ivan Sokolov (2/2)". ChessBase. Retrieved 16 January 2016.