Ivan Šarić (chess player)
Ivan Šarić (Croatian pronunciation: [ǐv̞an ʃǎːrit͡ɕ]; born 17 August 1990) is a Croatian chess grandmaster. He earned his IM title in 2007, and his GM title in 2008. He won the Under-18 European Youth Chess Championship in 2007, and the Under-18 World Youth Chess Championship in 2008. In 2018 he won the European Individual Chess Championship in Batumi with a score of 8.5/11 points. He also has won the Croatian Chess Championship in 2009 and 2013, and holds a notable victory over Magnus Carlsen, which he achieved at the 2014 Chess Olympiad.
Ivan Šarić, 2013
|Full name||Ivan Šarić|
|Born||17 August 1990|
|FIDE rating||2690 (January 2019)|
|Peak rating||2692 (November 2018)|
Born in Split on 17 August 1990, his father taught him to play chess at the age of five. He took up the sport seriously when he was nine and began to compete in club and youth tournaments before venturing out into the international chess scene.
In 2007 he became internationally known when he won the Under-18 division at the European Youth Chess Championship in Šibenik, scoring 7 out of 9. The following year he earned the grandmaster title and won the 2008 Under-18 World Youth Chess Championship, scoring 8 points in 11 games for a performance rating of 2623.
Šarić won the Tata Steel Challengers tournament in 2014 with a score of 10/13 points. As a result, he qualified for the 2015 Tata Steel Masters, where he finished in 12th place scoring 4.5/11.
In 2018 he won the European Individual Chess Championship in Batumi with a score of 8.5/11 points and became the second player from Croatia who managed to achieve this title after Zdenko Kožul, who won it in 2006.
- "Ivan Šarić". Chess24.com.
- Smolčić, P. (30 October 2008). "Šahovska senzacija iz Splita: Ivan Šarić svjetski prvak" (in Croatian). Slobodna Dalmacija.
- Valery Golubenko (8 October 2007). "New record for the European Youth Chess Championships". chessbase.com. Retrieved 2 November 2008.
- P. Smolčić (30 October 2008). "Šahovska senzacija iz Splita: Ivan Šarić svjetski prvak" (in Croatian). Slobodna Dalmacija. Retrieved 2 November 2008.
- Mateo Ivić (30 October 2008). "Ivan Šarić postao juniorski prvak svijeta u šahu" (in Croatian). 24 sata. Retrieved 2 November 2008.
- "Match I.Saric-A.Jankovic for Croatian Champion for 2009. Tournament report". FIDE. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Mihailov, Anton (2014-02-14). "GM Ivan Saric is champion of Croatia". FIDE. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Ivan Šarić team chess record at Olimpbase.org
- "Tigran Petrosian Victorious in Benasque Open". Chessdom. Retrieved 17 July 2011.
- "76th Tata Steel Tournament 2014 | The Week in Chess". theweekinchess.com. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- "Magnus Carlsen wins Tata Steel Masters 2015 | The Week in Chess". theweekinchess.com. Retrieved 2016-09-06.
- Profile, newsinenglish.no; accessed 1 December 2014.
- Profile, chess-results.com; accessed 1 December 2014.