Istora Gelora Bung Karno
Gelora Bung Karno Sports Palace (Indonesian: Istana Olahraga Gelora Bung Karno, abbreviated as Istora) is an indoor sporting arena located in Gelora Bung Karno Sports Complex, Jakarta, Indonesia. The capacity of the arena after 2018 reopening is 7,166. This arena is usually used for badminton tournaments. Its maiden event was the 1961 Thomas Cup.
Istora, Istora Senayan
|Former names||Istana Olahraga Senayan|
(until 24 September 1962, 1969–2001)
|Location||Gelora, Tanah Abang, Central Jakarta|
|Owner||Government of Indonesia|
(via Ministry of State Secretariat)
|Operator||Pusat Pengelolaan Komplek Gelora Bung Karno (Gelora Bung Karno Complex Management Center)|
|Field size||50 by 25 metres (55 by 27 yd)|
|Broke ground||8 February 1960 (entire complex)|
|Opened||21 May 1961|
|Reopened||23 January 2018|
|Construction cost||$12,500,000 (1958, entire complex)|
Rp132 billion (2016–2018)
|Indonesia Open (badminton)|
Indonesia Masters (badminton)
It was also used during the 1962 Asian Games and was renovated to host the 2018 edition. Its first post-renovation event was the 2018 Indonesia Masters. During the latter Games, it hosted the badminton and later stages of basketball events.
The arena will stage the 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup, becoming the only Indonesian venue in the three-country joint bid.
Istora had a U-shaped indoor lobby attached on its front since some time after the 1960s to 2016. The court and tribune were surrounded by multi-functional rooms. Those were demolished during the subsequent renovation. The rooms are incorporated underneath the tribune, leaving no other buildings attached to it.
During the latest renovation, there were already some delft blue single seats installed on the mid-section of west and east tribune along with yellow (4 corners) and green (mid-section of north and south tribune) wooden bleachers. Those were scrapped and replaced by single seats, consist of 3 shades of grey. However, to preserve the memory of the old Istora, there are five rows of seat using new all-brown wooden bleachers, placed near Gate 1.
|17 October 1995||Take That||Nobody Else Tour||N/A|
|23 February 2007||Muse||Black Holes and Revelations Tour||7,000||N/A|
|20 October 2007||The Black Eyed Peas||Black Blue & You Tour||N/A|
|2 June 2009||The Pussycat Dolls||Doll Domination Tour||N/A|
|17 August 2009||The All-American Rejects||I Wanna Rock Tour||N/A|
|3 August 2010||Slash||2010 World Tour||N/A|
|29 October 2010||Simply Red||N/A|
|10 January 2011||N.E.R.D||N/A|
|22 January 2011||Ne-Yo||Libra Scale Tour||N/A|
|5 April 2011||Bruno Mars||The Doo-Wops & Hooligans Tour||N/A|
|27 April 2011||Maroon 5||Hands All Over Tour||N/A|
|17 January 2012||Simple Plan||Get Your Heart On! Tour||N/A|
|20 September 2012||The Wanted||Live in Jakarta||N/A|
|4 October 2012||Maroon 5||Overexposed Tour||N/A|
|5 October 2012|
|24 March 2013||Demi Lovato||A Special Night with Demi Lovato||N/A|
|10 May 2013||Sigur Rós||World Tour 2013||N/A|
|12 March 2014||Avril Lavigne||The Avril Lavigne Tour||N/A|
|7 December 2014||JKT48||Papan Penanda Isi Hati – Message on a Placard Handshake Festival||N/A|
|22 May 2015||Boyzone||BZ20 Tour||N/A|
|19 March 2016||JKT48||Beginner Handshake Festival||N/A|
|1 March 2019||Kodaline||Politics of Living Tour||N/A|
|16 November 2019||SEVENTEEN||SEVENTEEN WORLD TOUR : 'ODE TO YOU'||N/A|
Notable international sporting eventsEdit
- 1961, 1967, 1973, and 1979 Thomas Cups
- 1962 and 2018 Asian Games
- 1975 Uber Cup
- 1980 and 1989 IBF World Championships
- 1986, 1994, 2004, and 2008 Thomas & Uber Cups
- 1989 Sudirman Cup
- 1992 IBF World Junior Championships
- 2015 BWF World Championships
- 2015 World Wushu Championships
- 2018 Asian Para Games
- 2023 FIBA Basketball World Cup
Interior of Istora during the 2018 Indonesia Masters
- Femi Diah (18 October 2017). "Potensi Masalah Setelah Istora Tiba-Tiba Jadi Venue Basket Asian Games 2018". detik.com. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- Ganesha, Amal (23 January 2018). "Jokowi Inaugurates Newly Renovated Istora Sports Hall". jakartaglobe.id. Retrieved 3 October 2018.
- Bagas Abdiel (18 January 2017). "Indonesia Pertahankan Piala Thomas 1961 di Istora Senayan". okezone.com. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- "Unit 3 : Istora". gelorabungkarno.co.id (in Indonesian). PPKGBK. 4 September 2010. Archived from the original on 2 July 2015. Retrieved 18 October 2018.
- Mercy Raya (29 September 2017). "Mengembalikan Keaslian Istora 1962". Detik.com (in Indonesian).
Media related to Istora Gelora Bung Karno at Wikimedia Commons