Location of Islands within Hong Kong
|• District Council Chairman||Daniel Lam Wai-keung, SBS, BBS, JP|
|• Total||175.03 km2 (67.58 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (Hong Kong Time)|
|Website||Islands District Council|
|Cantonese Yale||Lèihdóu kēui|
|Literal meaning||distant island district|
With an area that is 16% of Hong Kong and a population that is 2% of Hong Kong, the Islands District is the largest in terms of area and also the least populated. It is therefore the district with by far the lowest population density of 783 per km2. The outlying islands are notable for a more relaxed way of life than that of Hong Kong Island and Kowloon Peninsula. The district has the third-youngest residents.
Many islands of Hong Kong are actually not part of the district. Most notably, Hong Kong Island contains four districts itself. The term Outlying Islands tends to refer to the islands of the Islands District. The northeast point of Lantau and Ma Wan traditionally belong to Tsuen Wan District owing to their administration and transportation dependence of Tsuen Wan. Tsing Yi Island once was administrated by Tsuen Wan District and now by Kwai Tsing District. Whilst the Sai Kung Islands are part of the Sai Kung District, and the Tolo Channel Islands part of Tai Po District.
Other notable areas that are part of the Islands District include Chek Lap Kok, the reclaimed island on which Hong Kong International Airport is located, Tung Chung on northern Lantau near the airport, and Discovery Bay, a large private residential area on eastern Lantau.
Islands of the districtEdit
- Cha Kwo Chau
- Chek Lap Kok (Hong Kong International Airport is built here)
- Cheung Chau
- Hei Ling Chau
- Sunshine Island (Chau Kung To)
- Peaked Hill (Kai Yek Kok)
- Kau Yi Chau
- Lamma Island
- Luk Chau (George Island)
- Lantau Island (The largest part of the district)
- Peng Chau
- Po Toi Islands
- Shek Kwu Chau
- Soko Islands
- North Lantau Highway, connecting to mainland New Territories via the Lantau Link (Kap Shui Mun Bridge, Ma Wan Viaduct and Tsing Ma Bridge)
- Hong Kong International Airport
- Tung Chung Line
- Airport Express
- Ferry piers at Tai O (Wing Hong Street, Shek Tsai Po), Tung Chung, Hong Kong International Airport, Cheung Chau Wan, Mui Wo (Silvermine Bay), Lamma Island (Yung Shue Wan, Sok Kwu Wan), Discovery Bay, Chi Ma Wan, Peng Chau, etc.
- New Lantao Bus
- Ngong Ping 360