Isiolo County is a county in the former Eastern Province of Kenya. Its population is 268,002 (2019 census) and its capital is Isiolo. Isiolo County is to be the first county to be developed as part of the Kenya Vision 2030 program. Its capital and largest town is Isiolo. Other upcoming urban centres are: Garbatulla, Modogashe, Kinna, Merti and Oldonyiro.
Location in Kenya
|Formed||4th March 2013|
|• Governor||Mohammed Kuti|
|• Total||25,336.1 km2 (9,782.3 sq mi)|
|• Density||11/km2 (27/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
The local topography is arid or semi-arid low plains. Ewaso Nyiro River flows through the county and partly bounds it. It borders Marsabit County to the north, Wajir County to the east, Garissa and Tana River counties to the south east, Meru County to the south, Laikipia County to the south west and Samburu County to the west.
Isiolo county has a total population of 268,002 persons as 2019 census and of this 139,510 are males,128,483 are females, and 9 intersex persons. There is an average size of 4.6 persons per household and a population density of 11 persons per square Km.
|Subcounty||No of Persons|
Infrastructure and TransportEdit
Isiolo airport is one of the key airport in the county.
Administrative and Political UnitsEdit
There are a total of 10 county assembly wards, 71 locations and 144 sub-locations
|Constituency||Sub-county||Area (Sq. Km)||Ward|
Mohamed Kuti is the second governor for Isiolo and took office in 2017 and he deputised by Ibrahim Abdi Issa. Adan Dullo Fatuma is the senator and also the first woman to be elected as a senator in Kenya. Rehema Dida Jaldesa is the seating women representative for isiolo and second to hold the office.
There are 213 ECD centres with enrolment of 5148 pupils, 124 primary schools of which 107 are public and 17 are private schools. 23 secondary schools are spread across the county of which 16 are public and 7 are private schools.
Furthermore there are two youth polytechnics, three tertiary institutions and two vocational training centres in the county.
There are three hospitals of which two is government owned an other one faith based organisation, five health centres, thirty three dispensaries, and three clinics.
Isiolo county has a total of 214 medical personnel of different cadre ranging from doctors to biochemists.
In agriculture the four main crops planted in Isiolo are maize, beans, sorghum and green grams. Livestock also is an economy earner and the four animals kept are cattle (Indigenous), cattle (dairy), camels, sheep, and goats.
Stats for the County (Percent)
|Attending School (15-18 Yrs)|
Stats for the County
Source: USAid Kenya
- "2019 Kenya Population and Housing Census Volume I: Population by County and Sub-County". Kenya National Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 6 November 2019.
- "Isiolo County Integrated Development Plan, CIDP 2018-2022" (PDF). County Government of Isiolo. Retrieved 2 August 2019.
- Munene, Evans (4 November 2019). "2019 Kenya Population and Housing Census Results". Kenya National Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- Kenya: Administrative Division population statistics
- "Kenya Rural Roads Authority". www.kerra.go.ke. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- "Postal Corporation of Kenya". www.posta.co.ke. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- "Isiolo Airport > Kenya Airports Authority". Kenya Airports Authority. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- IEBC. "The Report of the Interim Independent Boundaries Review Commission (IIBRC): Delimitation of Constituencies and Recommendations on Local Authority Electoral Units and Administrative Boundaries for Districts and Other Units" (PDF). IEBC. Retrieved 27 May 2020.
- "Governors & Deputy Governors". cog.go.ke. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- "Members of the Senate | The Kenyan Parliament Website". www.parliament.go.ke. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- "Women Representatives | KEWOPA KENYA". Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- "Ministry of Education". www.education.go.ke. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- Isiolo County. "Isiolo County Integrated Development Plan CIDP 2018-2022" (PDF). Isiolo County. Retrieved 27 May 2020.
- "Health – County Government of Isiolo". Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- "AGRICULTURE, LIVESTOCK & FISHERIES – County Government of Isiolo". Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- "Publications". Kenya National Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 26 May 2020.
- http://www.aridland.go.ke/bulletins/July%202006-Isiolo.pdf[permanent dead link]