Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music
Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music is an interactive online guide to electronic music created by Kenneth John Taylor, aka Ishkur. The website consists of 153 subgenres and 818 sound files. Genres include little-known ones like terrorcore and chemical breakbeat, and more popular genres like house or techno, diagrammed in a flowchart style.
On December 11, 2016, Ishkur announced on Twitter that a new version of the guide would be released in 2017. Due to delays, Version 3.0 of the guide was instead released on August 20, 2019. Unlike the first two versions of the guide, the updated version no longer uses Adobe Flash.
CMJ New Music Monthly praised the website for its "...ease of navigation, pithy genre descriptions, and fairly accurate audio accompaniment..." Oliver Hurley of The Guardian referred to the site as an "epic online endeavour", but pointed that several of the genres were made up by Ishkur, such as "Buttrock Goa".
- Comer, M. Tye (April 2001). "Words Get in the Way". CMJ New Music Monthly. CMJ Network, Inc. p. 89.
- Hurley, Oliver (June 11, 2004). "Friday Review: Little Things We Like: Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music". The Guardian. p. 31.
The epic online endeavour visually maps 153 (sub-)sub-genres, from those that you've actually heard of (disco, rave, garage) to ones that the eponymous Ishkur has almost certainly made up. (Buttrock Goa, anyone?)...there is a total of (presumably not entirely legal) 818 sound files.
- Cameron, John (August 11, 2016). "This Guide to Electronic Music Genres from 2001 is a Blast from the Past". Magnetic Magazine. Retrieved January 12, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ishkur's Guide to Electronic Music Plans To Revamp Itself In 2017". EDM Sauce. July 18, 2017. Retrieved January 12, 2018. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The cult classic online guide to electronic music has (finally) been given an update". DJ Mag. 21 August 2019. Retrieved 2020-08-21. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ishkur's guide to electronic music has finally been updated". The Line of Best Fit. Retrieved 2020-08-21. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Baker, Brian (August 20, 2019). "Ishkur Quietly Releases His Fully-Updated Guide to Electronic Music, 3.0". EDM.com. Retrieved January 28, 2020. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)