Is Genesis History?
Is Genesis History? is a 2017 American Christian film that uses creation science, a pseudoscientific concept, to promote Young Earth creationist beliefs that contradict established scientific facts regarding the origin of the Universe, the age of the Earth, and the common descent of all lifeforms.
|Is Genesis History?|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Thomas Purifoy Jr.|
|Produced by||Thomas Purifoy Jr.|
|Written by||Thomas Purifoy Jr.|
|Distributed by||Fathom Events|
|Box office||$2.6 million|
The film was written, directed, and produced by Thomas Purifoy Jr., who said he was inspired to make it after his daughter watched the Bill Nye–Ken Ham debate in 2014 and began asking him questions about the creation–evolution controversy. Del Tackett, the creator of Focus on the Family's "The Truth Project", narrates the film. Interviewing thirteen creationists, the narrator of the film argues that Genesis portrays real historical events. Other speakers include George Grant, Paul Nelson, Marcus R. Ross, Andrew A. Snelling, and Kurt Wise, as well as Larry Vardiman in the film's bonus features.
Is Genesis History? was released into American theaters on Thursday, February 23, 2017. It was shown in 704 theaters and grossed $1.8 million in one night. Over 143,000 people saw the film that night, and its box office earnings were the highest of any film in theaters in the United States that night. The film was shown again in theaters on March 2 and 7, 2017 in the United States, as well as in Canada on March 14, 2017. The film went on to earn a total box office of $2.6 million, after the encore showings. The film was re-released in around 850 theaters for an anniversary showing on February 22, 2018, with a bonus scene of Wheaton College students touring the Ark Encounter, a creationist attraction operated by Answers in Genesis. The students were members of a creationist club which had requested a screening of the film, leading to controversy among the Christian school's faculty, nearly all of whom reject the "historical creationism" that Is Genesis History? presents.
- Expelled: No Intelligence Allowed, 2008 film
- Is Genesis History? at Box Office Mojo
- "Is Genesis History? (2017)". The Numbers. Retrieved September 30, 2017.
- Cade, Lars (June 26, 2017). "Is Genesis History: Digging for Truth and Coming up Empty-Handed". Naturalis Historia.
- "IAP Statement on the Teaching of Evolution". Retrieved June 3, 2018.
- Sarkar, Sahotra; Pfeifer, Jessica, eds. (2006). The Philosophy of Science – An Encyclopedia. Problem of demarcation: Psychology Press (Routledge). pp. 192, 194–195. ISBN 978-0-415-93927-0.
- Storm, Christie (February 18, 2017). "Daughter's Queries Prompted Genesis Film". Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Retrieved March 26, 2017.
- Law, Jeannie (February 16, 2017). "Evidence of Young Earth Creationism Will Debunk Current Scientific Paradigm, Filmmaker Says". The Christian Post. Retrieved March 26, 2017.
- Fraser, Trevor (February 16, 2017). "Movie Musings: Genesis, Leon Russell and More". Orlando Sentinel. Retrieved April 12, 2017.
- Tomlin, Gregory (November 29, 2016). "Is Genesis History? Film Aims to Answer Questions of Creation, Evolution, Global Flood". Christian Examiner. Retrieved March 26, 2017.
- Guerrasio, Jason (April 5, 2017). "How religious movies are thriving more than ever before under Trump". Business Insider. Archived from the original on September 3, 2017. Retrieved September 3, 2017.
- Law, Jeannie (March 4, 2017). "'Is Genesis History?' Film on Young Earth Creationism Returns to Theaters for Encore Screening". The Christian Post. Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- "Is Genesis History? Fathom Event Hits No. 1 in Box Office, Returns to Theaters March 2nd and 7th". AMFM Magazine. February 27, 2017. Retrieved August 22, 2017.
- Showalter, Brandon (February 21, 2018). "Young Earth Creationist, Wheaton College Students Speak at 1-Y Anniv. Release of 'Is Genesis History?'". The Christian Post. Retrieved March 7, 2018.