Iris Bahr is an American actress, comedian, director, writer, author, producer and host of the X-RAE podcast. She is best known for her recurring role as Rachel Heinemann on Curb Your Enthusiasm, her solo show DAI (enough), and her TV series Svetlana, which she wrote, directed, starred in and produced alongside Mark Cuban. She is the author of three published books, "Dork Whore", "Machu my Picchu" and "Book of Leon" which she co-wrote with JB Smoove.
Brown University, *Actors Center, New York
|Occupation||Actress, comedian, director, writer, producer, author|
Bahr was raised in the Bronx, but moved to Israel with her mother at age 13, after her parents divorced. During her two years in the Israeli Army military intelligence she attained the rank of sergeant. As a young woman, she traveled throughout Southeast Asia and South America. She is a magna cum laude graduate of Brown University, where she studied neuropsychology and religious studies. Bahr did neuroscience and cancer research at Stanford University and Tel Aviv University.
Bahr guest starred on a variety of television shows, including guest appearances on "Good Girls", "Losing Alice", 9-1-1 Strong Medicine, The Drew Carey Show, Friends, and The King of Queens, as well as recurring character Rachel Heinemann on Curb Your Enthusiasm.
In 2006, Bahr appeared in her first movie lead role in playing Amy Butlin in Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector alongside Larry the Cable Guy. In May 2006 she had a supporting role as Leonard Hofstadter's co worker in the unaired pilot of The Big Bang Theory.
In November 2006, she opened her one woman show Dai (Enough) at the Culture Project in New York City. In the show, she plays ten different characters in a Tel Aviv cafe moments before a suicide bomber enters. Bahr received the 2008 Lucille Lortel Award for Best Solo Performance for Dai, which also earned 2 Drama Desk Award nominations for Best Solo show and Best Sound Design. She also received a UK Stage Award Nomination for Outstanding Solo Performance. Bahr was invited to perform Dai at the United Nations for over 100 ambassadors and delegates. She premiered her third solo show, "I Lost You There" at the Cherry Lane Theatre in NYC in 2017. Her fourth solo show, a sequel to DAI, entitled DAI 2.0, was slated to open in NYC in April of 2020 but was canceled due to Covid. She reimagined the show for streaming and premiered the show to a live audience online in December of 2020.
Bahr's memoir entitled Dork Whore was published in 2007, and was translated into German, Italian and Portuguese. It became a bestseller in Germany. The sequel, Macchu My Picchu chronicles her travels through South America. She co-wrote Book of Leon, which came out in 2018, with comic JB Smoove.
Bahr was a series regular on the Israeli TV series Irreversible.
Bahr did voice acting work for the Star Trek computer games Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force, Star Trek: Elite Force II and Star Trek: Away Team, released in 2000, 2003 and 2001 respectively. She followed this up with an appearance on the last episode of Star Trek: Voyager, "Endgame" in 2001. She also voiced the character of Madeline Taylor in Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix (2002).
Bahr also had a weekly commentary on NPR's Los Angeles affiliate KCRW entitled "Social Studies", featuring one of her characters - Svetlana, Russian lady of the night and proprietor of the "St. Petersburg House of Discreet Pleasure." Svetlana was also a recurring guest on The Marc Maron Show, and has done regular pieces for Kurt Andersen's show on WNYC's Studio 360. She is the host of the X-RAE podcast as her alter ego Rae Lynn Caspar White, a "Southern Intellectual, professional baby surrogate and sexpert". Her guests have included Lawrence O'Donnell, Doug Liman, author Roddy Doyle, Andie MacDowell, Neuroscientists, academics and various comedians and artists.
|2002||Reality School||Student||Short film|
|2004||Exit 4A||Sibel||Short film|
|2005||The Unchosen Ones||Fiona, Rivka, Avivit and Aunt Rivka||Short film|
|2006||Larry the Cable Guy: Health Inspector||Amy Butlin|
|2007||Speed Dating||Lynn||Short film|
|2007||The Poughkeepsie Tapes||Psychiatrist|
|2010||Fair Game||CPD Agent|
|2010||The Last Exorcism||Iris Reisen|
|2013||9 Full Moons||Keren|
|2015||How to Grow Your Own||Nina|
|2001||Star Trek: Voyager||Female Cadet||Episode: "Endgame"|
|2002||The Rerun Show||Marcy D'arcy||Episode: "Married... with Children: Weenie Tot Lovers & Others Strangers/Bewitched: A Bunny for Tabitha"|
|2002||Strong Medicine||Ronnie Vongolia||Episode: "The Philadelphia Chromosome"|
|2003||Coupling||Alice||Episode: "A Foreign Affair"|
|2003||Columbo||Police Officer||Episode: "Columbo Likes the Nightlife"|
|2003||The Agency||Sara Shamir||1 episode|
|2003||Dragnet||Becky||Episode: "The Cutting of the Swath"|
|2003||The Drew Carey Show||Mindy||Episode: "Drew Answers the Belle"|
|2003||Friends||Glenda||Episode: "The One with Ross's Tan"|
|2004||Significant Others||Dave's Wife||Episode: "A Date, Fate and Jail Bait"|
|2005||Curb Your Enthusiasm||Rachel Heinemann||2 episodes|
|2006||E-Ring||Rosa||Episode: "Hard Cell"|
|2006||The Big Bang Theory||Gilda||Uncredited|
Episode: "Unaired Pilot"
|2006||Commander in Chief||Tuba Ozel||Episode: "Happy Birthday, Madam President"|
|2007||Shorty McShorts' Shorts||N/A||Voice role|
Episode: "Too Many Robots"
|2007||State of Mind||Elizabeth Ellis||Episode: "Helpy Helperpants"|
|2009||Dollhouse||Detective Donovan||Episode: "Instinct"|
|2010–2011||Svetlana||Svetlana||Lead role; 23 episodes|
|2011||Eagleheart||Tiffany||Episode: "Death Punch"|
|2015||Revenge||Detective Adams||Episode: "Epitaph"|
|2015||The Brink||Talia Levy||3 episodes|
|2015||Blunt Talk||Doctor||2 episodes|
|2017||Elementary||Emily Gray||Episode: "The Ballad of Lady Frances"|
|2000||Star Trek: Voyager – Elite Force||Telsia Murphy|
|2001||Star Trek: Away Team||Sira D'Qua|
|2001||Star Trek: Armada II||N/A|
|2002||Soldier of Fortune II: Double Helix||Madeline Taylor|
|2003||Star Trek: Elite Force II||Ensign Telsia Murphy|
- Bahr, Iris (2009). DAI : (enough): a play (1st ed.). Evanston, Illinois: Northwestern University Press. ISBN 9780810126435. LCCN 2009024606. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Bahr, Iris (2007). Dork whore: my travels through Asia as a twenty-year-old pseudo-virgin (1st U.S. ed.). New York, New York: Bloomsbury, Distributed to the trade by Holtzbrinck Publishers. ISBN 9781596912342. LCCN 2006018506. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Bahr, Iris (2011). Machu my Picchu: searching for sex, sanity and a soul mate in South America. maps by Piper Verlag. Guilford, Connecticut: Skirt!. ISBN 9780762772773. LCCN 2011024307. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Iris Bahr". Contemporary Authors Online. Detroit: Gale. May 29, 2008. GALE|H1000179084. Retrieved 2012-05-10 – via Fairfax County Public Library. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) Gale Biography In Context. (subscription required)
- Robertson, Campbell (January 5, 2007). "So Many Different People to Be, Onstage and Off, if She Can Dodge the Trucks". New York Times. Retrieved 2012-05-12. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Sebba, Anne (20 July 2007). "Interview with Iris Bahr". Archived from the original on January 6, 2009. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Genzlinger, Neil (2006-11-17). "Theater as Russian Roulette, With a Blast That's Soon to Sound". New York Times. Retrieved 2006-11-30. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Hernandez, Ernio (2006-11-14). "Culture Project Opens Iris Bahr Solo Dai (enough) Nov. 14". Playbill. Archived from the original on 2013-02-01. Retrieved 2006-11-30. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Who's News by Lorrie Lynch". USA Today. 2006-05-21. Retrieved 2006-11-30. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)[dead link]
- "Shaw Theatre". Shaw Theatre. Retrieved 2012-05-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Social Studies". KCRW. Retrieved 2012-05-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Roderick, Kevin (June 18, 2007). "Morning Buzz: Monday 6.18.07". LA Observed. Retrieved 2012-05-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Knocked Up on Darfur - Social Studies on KCRW". Kcrw.com. Retrieved 2012-05-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Getty Fabulous: Live in L.A." Studio 360. 2007-07-06. Archived from the original on 2010-12-01. Retrieved 2012-05-10. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)