Iris (2001 film)
Iris is a 2001 biographical drama film that tells the story of Irish-born British novelist Dame Iris Murdoch and her relationship with her husband John Bayley, who wrote the book on which the film was based. The film contrasts the start of their relationship, when Murdoch (Kate Winslet) was an outgoing, dominant individual as compared to her timid and scholarly partner Bayley (Hugh Bonneville), and their later life, when Murdoch (Judi Dench) was suffering from Alzheimer's disease and tended to by a frustrated Bayley (Jim Broadbent) in their North Oxford home in Charlbury Road.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Richard Eyre|
|Based on||Elegy for Iris|
by John Bayley
|Music by||James Horner|
|Edited by||Martin Walsh|
|Box office||$16.2 million|
When the young Iris Murdoch meets fellow student John Bayley at Somerville College, Oxford, he is a naive virgin easily flummoxed by her libertine spirit, arch personality, and obvious artistic talent. Decades later, little has changed and the couple keeps house, with John doting on his more famous wife. When Iris begins experiencing forgetfulness and dementia, however, the devoted John struggles with hopelessness and frustration, and becomes her caretaker, as his wife's mind deteriorates from the ravages of Alzheimer's disease.
Iris received positive reviews from critics, with a 79% "fresh" rating on Rotten Tomatoes from a sample of 109 critics.
Awards and nominationsEdit
- Academy Awards
- Best Actress in a Leading Role: Judi Dench
- Best Actor in a Supporting Role: Jim Broadbent (won)
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role: Kate Winslet
|Academy Awards record|
|1. Best Supporting Actor|
|BAFTA Awards record|
|1. Best Actress in a Leading Role|
|Golden Globe Awards record|
|1. Best Supporting Actor|
- BAFTA Awards
- Best British Film
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Leading Role: Jim Broadbent
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Leading Role: Judi Dench (won)
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role: Hugh Bonneville
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role: Kate Winslet
- Best Screenplay - Adapted
- Broadcast Film Critics Association
- Best Supporting Actor - Jim Broadbent
- Golden Globe Awards
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama: Judi Dench
- Best Supporting Actor - Motion Picture - Jim Broadbent (won)
- Best Supporting Actress - Motion Picture: Kate Winslet
- Los Angeles Film Critics Association
- Best Supporting Actor: Jim Broadbent (also for Moulin Rouge!) (won)
- Best Supporting Actress: Kate Winslet (won)
- Satellite Awards
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama: Judi Dench
- Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role, Drama: Jim Broadbent
- Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role, Drama: Kate Winslet
- Screen Actors Guild Awards
- Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Leading Role: Judi Dench
- Outstanding Performance by a Male Actor in a Supporting Role: Jim Broadbent
- "IRIS (15)". British Board of Film Classification. 13 December 2001. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- "Iris (2001)". Box Office Mojo. Internet Movie Database. 17 May 2002. Retrieved 10 July 2015.
- Peter Bradshaw (18 January 2002). "Iris". The Guardian. Retrieved 14 January 2020.
- "Iris". TimeOut. Retrieved 14 January 2020.