Ion Stoica is a Romanian-American computer scientist specializing in distributed systems, cloud computing and computer networking. He is a professor of computer science at the University of California Berkeley and co-director of AMPLab. He co-founded Conviva, and Databricks, with other original developers of Apache Spark.
Ion Stoica speaking at a National Science Foundation workshop on cloud computing in 2014
|Alma mater||Carnegie Mellon University|
SIGOPS Mark Weiser Award
|Institutions||University of California Berkeley|
|Thesis||Stateless Core: A Scalable Approach for Quality of Service in the Internet (2000)|
|Doctoral advisor||Hui Zhang|
Stoica was born and raised in Romania and educated at the Polytechnic University of Bucharest, graduating with a Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, 1989. He went on to study at Carnegie Mellon University (CMU) gaining a Ph.D. in Electrical & Computer Engineering in 2000 supervised by Hui Zhang. Subjects included Chord (peer-to-peer), Core-Stateless Fair Queueing (CSFQ), and Internet Indirection Infrastructure (i3).
Career and researchEdit
Stoica's research interests include cloud computing, networking, distributed systems and big data. He authored or co-authored more than 100 peer reviewed papers in various areas of computer science.
Stoica was a co-founder and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) of Conviva in 2006, a company that came out of the End System Multicast project at CMU. In 2013 he co-founded Databricks, serving as its chief executive until being replaced by Ali Ghodsi in January 2016, when he became executive chairman.
Stoica won the Association for Computing Machinery doctoral dissertation Award in 2001. Stoica is the recipient of a SIGCOMM Test of Time Award (2011), the 2007 CoNEXT Rising Star Award, a Sloan Foundation Fellowship (2003) and a PECASE Award (2002). Stoica is also an ACM Fellow. In 2019, Stoica received the SIGOPS Mark Weiser Award.
- Stoica, I.; Morris, R.; Karger, D.; Kaashoek, M. F.; Balakrishnan, H. (2001). "Chord: A scalable peer-to-peer lookup service for internet applications" (PDF). ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review. 31 (4): 149. doi:10.1145/964723.383071.
- Matei Zaharia, Mosharaf Chowdhury, Michael J. Franklin, Scott Shenker, and Ion Stoica (2010). "Spark: cluster computing with working sets. In Proceedings of the 2nd USENIX conference on Hot topics in cloud computing (HotCloud'10). USENIX Association, Berkeley, CA, USA, 10-10".CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "Mesos: A Platform for Fine-Grained Resource Sharing in the Data Center" (PDF).
- "Tachyon: Reliable, Memory Speed Storage for Cluster Computing Frameworks" (PDF).
- Ion Stoica author profile page at the ACM Digital Library
- Ion Stoica publications indexed by Google Scholar
- Ion Stoica at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- Koponen, Teemu; Chawla, Mohit; Chun, Byung-Gon; Ermolinskiy, Andrey; Kim, Kye Hyun; Shenker, Scott; Stoica, Ion (2007). "A data-oriented (and beyond) network architecture". ACM SIGCOMM Computer Communication Review. 37 (4): 181. doi:10.1145/1282427.1282402. ISSN 0146-4833.
- Dabek, Frank; Kaashoek, M. Frans; Karger, David; Morris, Robert; Stoica, Ion (2001). "Wide-area cooperative storage with CFS". ACM SIGOPS Operating Systems Review. 35 (5): 202. doi:10.1145/502059.502054. ISSN 0163-5980.
- Dabek, Frank; Kaashoek, M. Frans; Karger, David; Morris, Robert; Stoica, Ion (2001). "Wide-area cooperative storage with CFS". Proceedings of the eighteenth ACM symposium on Operating systems principles - SOSP '01. p. 202. doi:10.1145/502034.502054. ISBN 978-1581133899.
- Zaharia, Matei; Franklin, Michael J.; Ghodsi, Ali; Gonzalez, Joseph; Shenker, Scott; Stoica, Ion; Xin, Reynold S.; Wendell, Patrick; Das, Tathagata; Armbrust, Michael; Dave, Ankur; Meng, Xiangrui; Rosen, Josh; Venkataraman, Shivaram (2016). "Apache Spark". Communications of the ACM. 59 (11): 56–65. doi:10.1145/2934664. ISSN 0001-0782.
- Stoica, Ion Lucretiu (2000). Stateless Core: A Scalable Approach for Quality of Service in the Internet. proquest.com (PhD thesis). Carnegie Mellon University. ISBN 9783540219606. OCLC 249141703.
- Armbrust, Michael and Fox, Armando and Griffith, Rean and Joseph, Anthony D. and Katz, Randy H. and Konwinski, Andrew and Lee, Gunho and Patterson, David A. and Rabkin, Ariel and Stoica, Ion and Zaharia, Matei (2009). "Above the Clouds: A Berkeley View of Cloud Computing: Technical Report No. UCB/EECS-2009-28" (PDF). eecs.berkeley.edu.CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- Armbrust, Michael; Stoica, Ion; Zaharia, Matei; Fox, Armando; Griffith, Rean; Joseph, Anthony D.; Katz, Randy; Konwinski, Andy; Lee, Gunho; Patterson, David; Rabkin, Ariel (2010). "A view of cloud computing". Communications of the ACM. 53 (4): 50. doi:10.1145/1721654.1721672. ISSN 0001-0782.
- Ion Stoica at DBLP Bibliography Server
- Ion Stoica publications indexed by the Scopus bibliographic database. (subscription required)
- "Our Team". Conviva web site. Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- "Former SICS-researcher Ali Ghodsi new CEO of Databricks". RISE web site. January 13, 2016. Retrieved May 6, 2017.
- "Ion Stoica - Award Winner". awards.acm.org. Association for Computing Machinery.
- "The Mark Weiser Award". ACM SIGOPS. Retrieved 30 October 2019.