Into the Silence (Avishai Cohen album)
|Into the Silence|
|Studio album by|
|Released||January 29, 2016|
|Studio||Studios La Buissonne, Pernes-les-Fontaines, France|
|Avishai Cohen chronology|
|All About Jazz|||
The AllMusic review by Matt Collar notes "In some ways, Cohen's move toward a more classical, ambient sound makes sense, as he is recording material specifically with the ECM stylistic tradition in mind. Sadly, Cohen also composed these songs in the wake of his father's death, and the trumpeter's grief seems to permeate everything on Into the Silence ... with Cohen leading his band through ambient soundscapes that, much like one's emotions after the death of a loved one, are supple and sad one minute, and sharp and tangled the next".
In The Guardian, John Fordham wrote "The breadth of jazz references will make this irresistible for fans, but it’s beautiful contemporary music for just about anyone". In JazzTimes, Bill Beuttler wrote "Cohen assembled a new quintet for the project, and the music is more composed and introspective-the title track, in particular ... the five of them sound like they’ve been playing together forever".
All About Jazz reviewer Mark Sullivan stated "I have to wonder whether knowing the background of the inspiration for this music colors the perception of it—it seems unlikely that a listener encountering these tracks blind would guess what they were "about." It's beautiful music regardless, and clearly has a unity earned by the consistent spirit in the composing as well as the spontaneous approach that the group took to this performance".
All compositions by Avishai Cohen
- "Life and Death" – 9:18
- "Dream Like a Child" – 15:30
- "Into the Silence" – 12:12
- "Quiescence" – 5:10
- "Behind the Broken Glass" – 8:12
- "Life and Death (Epilogue)" – 2:43
- ECM discography accessed June 6, 2018
- Avishai Cohen discography accessed June 6, 2018
- Collar, Matt. Avishai Cohen – Into the Silence > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved June 6, 2018.
- Fordham, J. The Guardian Review accessed June 6, 2018
- Sullivan, Mark. "Avishai Cohen: Into the Silence". Musical reviews. All About Jazz. Retrieved June 6, 2018.
- Beuttler, B. JazzTimes Review accessed June 6, 2018