Florida State Road 9B
State Road 9B (SR 9B) is a 7-mile-long (11 km) state highway on the south side of Jacksonville, Florida. It is a freeway for its entire length. Its southern terminus is at County Road 2209 (CR 2209) in St. Johns County. Its northern terminus is at the southeast-most point on Interstate 295 (I-295).
SR 9B highlighted in red
|Auxiliary route of SR 9A|
|Maintained by FDOT|
|Length||5.508 mi (8.864 km)|
|South end||CR 2209 in St. Johns County|
|North end||I-295 in Jacksonville|
|Counties||St. Johns, Duval|
State Road 9B begins at an interchange with Saint Johns Parkway (County Road 2209) in St. Johns, heading north as a four-lane divided highway. The road heads through Peyton Parkway (Race Track Road Connector) and Interstate 95 before expanding as a six lane expressway. The road continues north for 1.5 miles (2.4 km) where it passes over Phillips Highway (US 1). The road then continues north for another 3 miles (4.8 km) where it terminates at an interchange with Interstate 295.
Phase 1 of the SR 9B/I-795 project, consisting of a three-mile (4.8 km) spur from the Eastern Beltway of I-295 to US 1, began in the middle of 2010 and was scheduled to be completed in early of 2013, at an estimated cost of $68.5 million. The winning contract went to Archer Western Contractors / GAI Consultants, who also reconstructed the I-10/I-95 interchange in downtown Jacksonville. The roadway was originally planned to open in the end of 2012, but was pushed back to 2013 to allow for the construction of a wider paved area to facilitate future expansion. In late July 2013, southbound I-295 was closed a few nights to install new overhead signs for the SR 9B interchange, one of the final construction projects of Phase 1. Phase 1 opened September 19, 2013.
Superior Construction and Arcadis US was awarded a $95 million design-build contract for the second phase of SR 9B, from US 1 to I-95. Construction began in April 2013 and was fully completed on June 13, 2016. Phase 2 includes a new four-lane road between US 1 and I-95. The Phase 1 interchange at US 1 is upgraded with additional exit ramps and an overpass over US 1 and Veveras Drive in addition to utility work along US 1. A cloverstack interchange at I-95 was constructed, along with noise walls in the northwest and southeast corners.
Phase 3 consisted of extending State Road 9B 2.3 miles (3.7 km) south of the Interstate 95 interchange. The third and final phase connected I-95 to County Road 2209 and Race Track Road via a connector road (named Peyton Parkway) in St. Johns County. Construction began on September 9, 2015 and opened to traffic on August 9, 2018.
|St. Johns||St. Johns||5.508||8.864||CR 2209 (St. Johns Parkway)||Southern terminus; at-grade intersection|
|6||Race Track Road Connector (Peyton Parkway)||May connect with Nocatee Parkway long-term|
|4||I-95 (SR 9) – Jacksonville, Daytona Beach||I-95 exit 333|
|2.975||4.788||3||Flagler Center Boulevard||Southbound exit only|
|2||US 1 (Philips Highway / SR 5) – Saint Augustine|
|1||E-Town Parkway||Future interchange; development planned|
|0.000||0.000||–||I-295 north (Jacksonville Eastern Beltway / SR 9A) – Jaxport Terminals, International Airport||Northern terminus; I-295 exit 58; no access from SR 9B to I-295 east beltway southbound or vice versa|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- Donges, Patrick (September 19, 2013). "State Road 9B Open In Jacksonville". Jacksonville, FL: WJCT-TV. Retrieved September 20, 2013.
- "Straight Line Diagram of Road Inventory" (PDF). Florida Department of Transportation. August 22, 2016. Retrieved December 11, 2017.
- Moyer, Crystal (August 9, 2018). "State Road 9B Opens In St. Johns County; It Will Eventually Be Renamed I-795". WJCT. Retrieved January 4, 2019.
- "State Road 9B Construction May Begin". Jacksonville, FL: WJXT-TV. Archived from the original on January 4, 2010. Retrieved January 26, 2013.
- Sanderson, Laurie. "State Road 9B from the I-295 East Beltway to US 1 (Philips Highway)". District Two Public Information Office, Florida Department of Transportation. Retrieved April 1, 2010.
- Inclan, Lorna (January 30, 2013). "The wait is almost over for State Road 9B". Jacksonville, FL: WTEV-TV. Retrieved March 17, 2013.
- "I-295 southbound lanes to close for 2 nights". Jacksonville, FL: WJXT-TV. July 24, 2013. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- District Two Public Information Office. "Phase 2". Florida Department of Transportation. Retrieved July 30, 2013.
- "State Road 9B construction from I-95 to County Road 2209". Northeast Florida Roads. Florida Department of Transportation. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- "State Road 9B now open in St. Johns County". WJAX-TV. August 9, 2018. Retrieved September 19, 2018.
- "Project 84, Racetrack Rd Realignment" (PDF). 2035 Long Range Transportation Plan (LRTP) Adopted Needs Plan. North Florida Transportation Planning Organization.