Interstate 475 (Georgia)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Interstate 475 (I-475) is a 15.83-mile-long (25.48 km) auxiliary Interstate highway in Georgia, splitting off from I-75/SR 540 and bypassing Macon. It is also unsigned State Route 408 (SR 408). This is the preferred route for through traffic, as I-75 enters downtown Macon and reduces to four lanes (two in either direction; undergoing widening), and has a 60-mile-per-hour (97 km/h) speed limit, in addition to the highway interchange with I-16.
|Larry Justice Highway|
I-475 highlighted in red
|Auxiliary route of I-75|
|Maintained by GDOT|
|Length||15.83 mi (25.48 km)|
|South end||I-75 / SR 540 near Macon|
|North end||I-75 near Bolingbroke|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (August 2019)
I-475 carries six lanes (three in each direction) throughout its entire route (expanding to eight lanes at both junctions with I-75), except at its northernmost terminus with I-75, where it briefly reduces to four lanes.
The road has also been equipped with traffic cameras, which are a part of the Georgia Navigator system that has been extended via fiber optics all the way from metro Atlanta, nearly 100 miles (160 km) to the north-northwest.
Built in stages between 1965 and 1967, I-475 was originally built with two lanes in each direction, and a wide median with forest, mostly of sweetgum trees. When the one lane was added in each direction, every bit of the median was paved, with a full-lane-wide shoulder in both directions instead of the normal very narrow ones, and a Jersey barrier, rather than leaving or replanting any trees or other landscaping or native vegetation.
|County||Location||mi||km||Old exit||New exit||Destinations||Notes|
|Bibb||||0.0||0.0||I-75 south (SR 401) / SR 540 west (Fall Line Freeway) – Valdosta, Columbus||Southern terminus; southbound exit and northbound entrance; I-75 exit 156|
|Macon||0.4||0.64||1||Hartley Bridge Road||Added exit in 2009 with new collector–distributor lanes; exit 155 on I-75 southbound, collector–distributor Lanes from Hartley Bridge Road entrance going northbound to I-475 and I-75|
|||3.9||6.3||1||3||US 80 / SR 22 (Eisenhower Parkway) – Macon, Roberta|
|||5.6||9.0||2||5||SR 74 (Thomaston Road / Mercer University Drive) – Macon, Thomaston|
|||9.4||15.1||3||9||Zebulon Road||To US 41/SR 19|
|Monroe||||15.1||24.3||4||15||US 41 / SR 19 (Rivoli Road) – Bolingbroke|
|||15.83||25.48||I-75 north (SR 401) – Atlanta||Northern terminus; northbound exit and southbound entrance; I-75 exit 177|
|1.000 mi = 1.609 km; 1.000 km = 0.621 mi|
- State Highway Department of Georgia (January 1966). Official Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Scale not given. Atlanta: State Highway Department of Georgia. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- State Highway Department of Georgia (January 1967). Official Highway Map (PDF) (Map). Scale not given. Atlanta: State Highway Department of Georgia. Retrieved December 27, 2016.
- "Route Log - Auxiliary Routes of the Eisenhower National System Of Interstate and Defense Highways - Table 2". Federal Highway Administration. Retrieved 5 October 2014.
- "13 WMAZ traffic cams: http://www.13wmaz.com/travel/traffic/default.aspx"
- National Highway System: Georgia (PDF) (Map). Federal Highway Administration. May 8, 2019. Retrieved August 10, 2019.
- National Highway System: Macon, GA (PDF) (Map). Federal Highway Administration. May 9, 2019. Retrieved August 10, 2019.
- Stucka, Mike (August 14, 2012). "Larry Justice, former Bibb County commission chairman, dead at 74". The Telegraph. Macon, GA.