International School of Louisiana
The International School of Louisiana (ISL) is a system of charter schools in Greater New Orleans. Two campuses are in New Orleans and one campus is in Metairie. The K-8 school offers a French immersion program and a Spanish immersion program. As of 2007 it was one of two New Orleans schools chartered by the State of Louisiana that is not a part of the Recovery School District (RSD).
The school was founded in 2000 by Julie Fabian, Maria Redmann Treffinger, Jane Fitzpatrick, Shelley Stephenson Midura, and Ivan Baas-Thomas. The original location was at the First United Methodist Church in Mid-City, but the school relocated to Camp Street after hurricane Katrina.
In 2011 ISL had received more applications for the French immersion program than it had in any previous year. That year, its Algiers campus opened. It was the first language immersion school on the West Bank side.
The school restructured in 2017, opening the Dixon Campus at 4040 Eagle St. Serving students from Kindergarten-2nd, re-organizing the Uptown campus to serve 3rd-8th at 1400 Camp St., and serving Kindergarten-5th at the Westbank campus. With 1390 students being served across 3 campuses.
The Dixon Campus is located at the former Mary Bethune Building in the Dixon Neighborhood. The Uptown Street Campus is located in the former Andrew Jackson Elementary School in the Lower Garden District (). The Olivier Street campus is located in Algiers
In 2014, according to the state rankings, the school system received an "A" grade. The Center for Education Reform in 2007 ranked the International School as one of the best charter schools in the United States.
- "Contact Us." International School of Louisiana. Retrieved on May 18, 2014. "Camp Street Campus 1400 Camp Street New Orleans, LA 70130" and "Olivier Street Campus 502 Olivier Street New Orleans, LA 70114" and "Jefferson Parish 8101 Simon Street Metairie, LA 70003"
- Dreilinger, Danielle. "International School of Louisiana chief hired by International High." Times Picayune. April 28, 2014. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- Ritea, Steve. "Charter group hails N.O. school Archived 2014-05-18 at the Wayback Machine." The Times-Picayune. Thursday May 17, 2007. Retrieved on March 30, 2013.
- Plaisance, Stacey. "La.'s French-learning boom." Associated Press at the Philadelphia Inquirer. November 24, 2011. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- Tan, Sarah. "The International School of Louisiana opens in Harahan." Times Picayune. November 23, 2012. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- Chang, Cindy. "International School of Louisiana is expanding to the West Bank." The Times Picayune. October 25, 2010. Retrieved on May 18, 2014.
- "Camp Street campus." International School of Louisiana. Retrieved on March 31, 2013. "1400 Camp Street New Orleans, LA 70130"