International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People
The International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People is a UN-organized observance. Events are held at the United Nations headquarters in New York, as well as at the United Nations offices at Geneva, Vienna and Nairobi. It is generally held on November 29 each year to mark the anniversary of resolution 181. In 2003, it was observed on December 1.
The annual observance was established in UN General Assembly Resolution 32/40 B of 2 December 1977, to start in 1978; the same resolution proposed the creation of the study The Origins and Evolution of the Palestine Problem. In Resolution 34/65 D of 12 December 1979, the issue of commemorative postage stamps was requested.
Special commemorative activities are organized by the Division for Palestinian Rights of the United Nations Secretariat, in consultation with the Committee on the Exercise of the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People.
In 2012, The General Assembly voted to grant Palestine non-member observer State status at the United Nations by a vote of 138 in favour to 9 against with 41 abstentions by the 193-member Assembly, Resolution 67/19.
- General Assembly. GA/PAL/1214 Committee on the Inalienable Rights of the Palestinian People. 337th Meeting (AM). On International Day of Solidarity, Palestinian Rights Committee Told 64 Years after Partition Plan, ‘History Once Again Knocking at United Nations Door’
- United Nations Office at Geneva commemorates the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People. 29 November 2011.
- Summary of the Commemoration of the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People. United Nations Office at Vienna. Vienna International Centre.29 November 2011.
- The International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People Archived 2014-09-29 at the Wayback Machine
- General Assembly Resolution 32/40. Question of Palestine. 2 December 1977 [doc.nr. A/RES/32/40(A+B)].
- General Assembly Resolution 34/65. Question of Palestine Archived 2012-03-29 at the Wayback Machine. 12 December 1979 [doc.nr. A/RES/34/65 (A-D)].
- UN News Centre
|This Palestine-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United Nations-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|