International Association for Political Science Students
The International Association for Political Science Students (IAPSS) is a non-profit and politically independent student and junior scholar organization that acts as a global network for political science students; gathering undergraduate, graduate and postgraduate students from almost 100 countries. Besides its individual members and association members, since 2018 IAPSS has regional branches in Africa, Asia, Europe, Latin America, USA & Canada, and Oceania.
IAPSS hosts a number of international political science conferences, study trips and a summer school each year dedicated to the professional development of political science students and junior scholars. It has two journals (IAPSS Politikon; Encuentro Latinoamericano) and an online blog called A Different View.
- 1 History
- 2 Structure
- 3 Events
- 4 IAPSS' Publications
- 5 See also
- 6 References
The idea of a permanent international political science students' network was first discussed in 1996, when students from Leiden University visited their colleagues in Rome. The first IAPSS General Assembly was held in Leiden, the Netherlands, in 1998, where the Association was founded and legally registered.
During the following years, IAPSS became an institutionalized governing body. In 2003, the headquarters were established in Ljubljana, Slovenia. In 2004, the first annual "Executive Committee" (ExCom) was elected, coordinating programs and services on various levels directly from the Slovenian capital. By 2005, the incorporation of a new association in Slovenia was finalized and succeeded the previous Dutch based body. IAPSS relocated its headquarters to Nijmegen in 2013 and returned to be a Dutch-registered NGO. Based on a resolution taken by the 16th General Assembly 2013 in Rome, Italy, the realization of all portfolio programs are now coordinated from IAPSS' permanent seat, located at Radboud University Nijmegen. The headquarters' relocation was accompanied by a full revision of the statutes and internal regulations of the association.
Currently, IAPSS has more than 600 individual members and 10 association members from almost 100 different countries from all over the world. It holds active relationships with other major political science associations including the International Political Science Association (IPSA), and the European Consortium for Political Research (ECPR) as well as a range of student-run associations from around the globe such as Young Diplomats. IAPSS also has a partnership with the Asia-Europe Foundation and POLITICO Europe and delegations are sent yearly to the International Studies Association (ISA).
IAPSS maintains a system of multi-level membership, including associations and individual members. Annual elections select the different governing bodies:
- the General Assembly (GA): composed by all the association and individual members, it decides on the guidelines and annual framework of the association, elects the other bodies and decides on statute changes, the annual budget as well as proposals from members and policy resolutions.
- the Executive Committee (ExCom): composed by the President, Secretary General, Treasurer, Head of the Academic Department, Head of the World Congress, Head of Events, Head of the Academic Convention, Head of the International Cooperation and Public Relations Department is the executive body of the Association, it executes IAPSS' annual agenda and portfolio including a range of large-scale conferences, publications, delegations and other membership services. The ExCom is responsible to realize all resolutions and decisions taken by the General Assembly;
- the Supervisory Committee (SupCom): composed by three members, it monitors the work of the ExCom and overviews the financial administration of the Association.
The Executive CommitteeEdit
The ExCom members coordinate respective departments and are responsible for the execution of the Association’s portfolio. From 1999 to 2004, the Chairperson of the Member Association responsible to organize the annual Academic Conference and General Assembly (ACGA) served also as President of the association. From 1 October 2004, these positions were detached and the IAPSS ExCom were established as a permanent board led by an annually elected president. The Excom is assisted by departmental coordinators who support the board in the execution of its operations.
Executive Committee 2019/2020Edit
|Secretary General||Justin Patrick|
|Vice President for Academics||Ksenia Iliuk|
|Vice President for Programs||Jennifer Yi|
|Vice President for Public Relations||Axel Nordenstam|
|Vice President for Regional Affairs||Rose Smith|
Presidents since 1998Edit
& Cornelia Schöler
|2008-2009||Alejandro Delmar Injoque|
|2011-2012||Pedro Manuel Costa|
(resigned November 2018)
IAPSS offers its members a broad range of congresses, conventions, winter/summer schools and study trips. Until 2015 the Annual Conference and General Assembly had been the principal event of the association, held yearly and organized by the members of the association. In 2015, the Annual Conference was replaced by the IAPSS World Congress.
Currently, IAPSS organises at least two academic conferences annually. The biggest conference, the IAPSS World Congress, is held in a different city each spring. The smaller IAPSS Autumn Convention is held in autumn.
Annual Conferences and General Assemblies 1998-2014Edit
|1998||Leiden||The Foundation Conference|
|1999||Oslo||European Security beyond 2000|
|2000||Debrecen||Nations and Minorities|
|2001||Rome||Humankind and Globalisation|
|2002||Bucharest||New Europe: The Quest for Identity and Legitimacy|
|2004||Marburg||Good Knowledge: Education as an Object of Trade|
|2005||Moscow||The End of the Transition Paradigm|
|2008||Thessaloniki||The Future of Governance in the 21st Century|
|2009||Ljubljana||The Future of Political Science|
|2012||Bremen||The States they are A-changing|
|2014||Bucharest||Collective Action Problems in the Contemporary World|
World Congress for Political Science Students 2014-2019Edit
The annual World Congress for Political Science Students is IAPSS' largest event. It takes place in spring on an annual base. The 1st World Congress was held in 2014 and it incorporated a large-scale international political science conference.
|2014||Thessaloniki||The Limits to Global Governance|
|2015||London||Cooperation, Conflict and Security|
|2017||Budapest||The Meaning of Politics|
|2018||Paris||Diversity and Globalisation|
Academic Conferences 2006-2018Edit
|2006||Trieste||Non-violence: history, politics, rights, international value?|
|2007||Cluj-Napoca||Sovereignty in a globalizing world|
|2008||Rome||The Giant's rise|
|2009||Belgrade||Stand up for peace|
|2013||Budva||Challenges to the Global Political Economy|
|2000||Marburg||IAPSS Regional Conference||Post Cold War Europe|
|2001||Bucharest||IAPSS Regional Conference||The Bridges Network|
|2002||Ljubljana||IAPSS Regional Conference||Good Morning Terrorism|
|2003||Reykjavík||IAPSS Regional Conference||Globalization and National Identity|
|2004||Leiden||IAPSS Regional Conference for Northern Europe||European Integration|
|2005||Bern/Zurich||IAPSS Regional Conference||Neutrality in International Context: Good, Bad or just Making Rich?|
Autumn Conventions 2014-2018Edit
|2014||Nijmegen||Universality of Human Rights in the 21st Century|
|2015||Prague||New Threats to Security|
|2017||Bremen||Truth and Politics|
|2018||Singapore||Rethinking Development: Innovative Policies for Social and Economic Advancement|
Other events: Winter / Summer Schools and study tripsEdit
The IAPSS Winter / Summer School is an intensive week held twice a year with students from political science and related disciplines and it focuses on regional issues.
|2004||Helsinki||IAPSS Nordic Conference||The Role of Nordic Cooperation in Enlarging Europe|
|2004||Cluj-Napoca||IAPSS Summer School||Reinforcing IAPSS Team|
|2006||Rome||"Old, New and Future Europe" Conferences||Europe – Plurality of the Identities|
|2006||Ljubljana||"Old, New and Future Europe" Conferences||Europe in the World|
|2006||Bucharest||"Old, New and Future Europe" Conferences||Further European Enlargement|
|2007||Ljubljana||IAPSS International Seminar||Youth Bridging the Gap: Reaching out to the Roma|
|2008||Ljubljana||IAPSS Going Green||Confronting Energy and Climate Change Policies|
IAPSS Politikon publishes articles from all major subfields of political science and is open to submissions from neighboring disciplines (Human Rights, Law, Public Policy). Each article is reviewed by a double blind peer-review process, handled primarily by researchers who are part of the journal’s reviewer database.
Encuentro Latinoamericano: Revista de Ciencia Politica (ELA) is a peer-reviewed, student-run publication that focuses on Latin American politics. It follows the same guidelines as POLITIKON. Articles are published in English, Spanish and Portuguese, and they are all accompanied by English abstracts. ELA is published online twice a year, in April and October.
A Different ViewEdit
A Different View (also ADV) is the Association's popular-scientific online blog. Founded in 2005 as a monthly online magazine and relaunched as a blog in July 2013, ADV deals with a wide range of topics within political theory, foreign policy and international relations.
- International Political Science Association
- International Studies Association
- European Consortium for Political Research
- Association des États Généraux des Étudiants de l'Europe
- Radboud University Nijmegen
- American Political Science Association
- International Studies Association
- Asia–Europe Foundation
- International Association For Political Science Students. IAPSS. https://iapss.org/
- "IAPSS – The International Association for Political Science Students". European Students Union. Retrieved 3 August 2019.
- "Student Associations". The University of Queensland Australia. Retrieved 3 August 2019.
- IAPSS World Congress in London was a Great Success! International Political Science Association: https://www.ipsa.org/news/news/iapss-world-congress-london-was-great-success
- IAPSS World Congress 2017. CEU Department of Political Science: https://politicalscience.ceu.edu/events/2017-04-04/iapss-world-congress-2017
- IAPSS World Congress in Paris: A Congress to Remember.International Political Science Association: https://www.ipsa.org/news/news/iapss-world-congress-paris-congress-remember
- See e.g. Cox, Michaelene, and Jaimie M. Kent (2018): ‘Political Science Student Journals: What Students Publish and Why Student Publishing Matters’, PS: Political Science & Politics 51(4): pp. 804-810. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1017/S1049096518000057
- See e.g. APSA (2019): ‘Graduate and Undergraduate Student Journals’. https://www.apsanet.org/RESOURCES/For-Students/Student-Journals
- See e.g. Editorial Board (2018): ‘List of Periodicals’, International Political Science Abstracts 68(6): p. 834. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1177/002083451806800609
- Encuentro Latinoamericano. IAPSS: https://iapss.org/academics/ela/
- A Different View. IAPSS: https://iapss.org/academics/a-different-view/
- International Association For Political Science Students. UNESCO: https://en.unesco.org/partnerships/non-governmental-organizations/international-association-political-science-students
- International Association for Political Science Students. American Political Science Association: https://www.apsanet.org/RESOURCES/For-the-Public/Political-Science-Organizations/International-Political-Science-Associations/International-Association-for-Political-Science-Students
- Directory of Partnerships. ISA. https://www.isanet.org/ISA/Partners