Institute for National Defense and Security Research
The Institute for National Defense and Security Research (INDSR) is a Taiwanese think tank based in Taipei. The Institute’s mission is to safeguard Taiwan's democracy and prosperity by strengthening mutual understanding and advancing common interests in the global and Taiwanese defense and security community. The institute is operated under the auspices of the government and the Legislative Yuan and has a NT$125 million (US$4.2 million) annual budget.
|Formation||May 1, 2018|
It is considered to be the top military think tank in Taiwan. While it receives almost all of its funding from government sources INDSR is institutionally independent, nonpartisan, and nonprofit.
The Institute for National Defense and Security Research was inaugurated in May 2018 by Taiwanese President Tsai Ing-wen, former minister of national defense Feng Shih-kuan and representatives from government, industry, academia, and civil society. It was founded with seven research departments, one research center, and 64 employees. To start the Institute hired 17 researchers (all with PhDs) and 17 research assistants.
- Division of National Security and Decision-Making
- Division of National Defense Strategies and Policies
- Division of Chinese Politics and Military Affairs
- Division of Non-traditional Security and Military Missions
- Division of Cyber Warfare and Information Security
- Division of Advanced Technologies and Warfighting Concepts
- Division of National Defense Resources and Industries
- Center for Quantitative Analysis and Decision-Making Simulation
Defense Security BriefEdit
The Defense Security Brief (DSB) (國防安全) is an English language publication focused on security and military affairs. It was founded in 2011 and was compiled and published by the Office of Defense Studies, Ministry of National Defense until it was transferred to INDSR in 2018.
Defense Strategy and Assessment JournalEdit
The Defense Strategy and Assessment Journal (戰略與評估) is a quarterly Chinese language journal for defense and security research.
Defense Situation MonthlyEdit
The Defense Situation Monthly (國防情勢月報) is a monthly newsletter authored by INDSR experts.
Defense Security WeeklyEdit
The Defense Security Weekly(國防安全週報) is a weekly newsletter offering longer-form analysis by INDSR experts about news, security issues and trends of the preceding week. Distributed internally to government agencies and lawmakers.
Defense Security NewsEdit
The Defense Security News (國防安全新聞) is a daily that focuses on global headlines and developments concerning China. Distributed internally to government agencies and lawmakers.
- Vogel, Ben. "Taiwan forum underlines steps towards industrial self-sufficiency". www.janes.com. Janes. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- "Institute for National Defense and Security Research". solo.stanford.edu. Stanford University. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- Pan, Jason. "Defense think tank inaugurated". www.taipeitimes.com. Taipei Times. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- Strong, Matthew. "Chinese threats will escalate: Taiwan military think tank". www.taiwannews.com.tw. Taiwan News. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- "WHO WE ARE". indsr.org.tw. INDSR. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- "Department". indsr.org.tw. INDSR. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- "DEFENSE SECURITY BRIEF". indsr.org.tw. INDSR. Retrieved 4 December 2019.
- "PUBLICATIONS". indsr.org.tw. INDSR. Retrieved 4 December 2019.