Comune di San Candido
Saint Michael's Square
|Province||South Tyrol (BZ)|
|Frazioni||Innichberg (Monte San Candido), Obervierschach (Versciaco di Sopra), Untervierschach (Versciaco di Sotto), Winnebach (Prato alla Drava)|
|• Mayor||Rosmarie Burgmann (Bürgerliste)|
|• Total||79.85 km2 (30.83 sq mi)|
|Elevation||1,175 m (3,855 ft)|
|• Density||42/km2 (110/sq mi)|
Italian: di San Candido
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Patron saint||Saint Candide, Saint Korbinian|
It is located in the Puster Valley on the Drava River, about 80 kilometres (50 mi) northeast of Bolzano, on Italy's border with Austria. It hosts Italy’s International Snow Sculpture Festival each year.
As November 2010, it had a population of 3,175.
Innichen is home to the Innichen Abbey, founded in the late 8th century, belonging to the Prince-Bishopric of Freising. The abbey itself was disestablished in 1785, while the surrounding estates were acquired by the County of Tyrol after the Mediatisation of 1803 (Reichsdeputationshauptschluss). According to the Treaty of Saint-Germain terms, Innichen became part of Kingdom of Italy in 1919. Innichen is still the site of a Franciscan monastery founded in 1691.
The emblem shows an argent tower with the Ghibelline merlon on two levels, with the portal and the portcullis; above the door a coat of arms showing the head of a Moor, crowned with an or diadem on azure. The tower has settled on vert countryside and gules. This kind of representation points out that the site was once under the rule of the Bishops of Freising owners of a large area in the region from 769 to 1803. The coat of arms was granted by King Albert I of Germany in 1303.
- "Superficie di Comuni Province e Regioni italiane al 9 ottobre 2011". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- "Popolazione Residente al 1° Gennaio 2018". Istat. Retrieved 16 March 2019.
- ce Luxe Adventure Traveller. 2016. Art: Italy’s International Snow Sculpture Festival By Jennifer Dombrowski
- All demographics and other statistics: Italian statistical institute Istat.
- Heraldry of the World: Innichen
- "Volkszählung 2011/Censimento della popolazione 2011". astat info. Provincial Statistics Institute of the Autonomous Province of South Tyrol (38): 6–7. June 2012. Retrieved 2012-06-14.