Ingrid Thulin in 1952.
Ingrid Lilian Thulin
27 January 1926
|Died||7 January 2004 (aged 77)|
Claes Sylwander (m. 1952–1955)
Harry Schein (m. 1956–1989)
Thulin was born in Sollefteå, Ångermanland, northern Sweden, the daughter of Nanna (née Larsson) and Adam Thulin, a fisherman. She took ballet lessons as a girl and was accepted by The Royal Dramatic Theatre ("Dramaten") in Stockholm 1948.
She was married to Harry Schein, the founder of the Swedish Film Institute, for more than 30 years until 1989, although they had lived separately for many years before the divorce. She bought an apartment in Paris, France in the early 1960s and some years later a beach house in San Felice Circeo. In 1970 she became a resident of Sacrofano, Italy, where she lived for 34 years.
She returned to Sweden for medical treatment and later died from cancer in Stockholm, Sweden, 20 days shy of her 78th birthday. Her memories were published in 1992 ("Någon jag kände" ("Somebody I knew"); Norstedts Förlag; ISBN 91-1-919472-2).
For many years she worked regularly with Ingmar Bergman. Thulin appeared in Bergman's Wild Strawberries (1957), The Magician (1958, where she spent much of the film dressed as a boy), Winter Light (1962), The Silence (1963), The Rite (1969) and Cries and Whispers (1972).
She shared the Best Actress award at the 1958 Cannes Film Festival and received a Guldbagge Award for Best Actress in 1964, the first year the award was given out, for her performance in The Silence. Winner of the David di Donatello Awards 1974, Thulin was also nominated for the BAFTA Award the same year. In 1980, she was the head of the jury at the 30th Berlin International Film Festival.
- Leva på 'Hoppet' (1951). Director: Göran Gentele
- Foreign Intrigue (1956), with Robert Mitchum. Director: Sheldon Reynolds
- Smultronstället / Wild Strawberries (1957), with Victor Sjöström. Director: Ingmar Bergman
- Ansiktet / The Magician (1958). Director: Ingmar Bergman
- Domaren / The Judge (1960). Director: Alf Sjöberg
- Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1962), with Glenn Ford. Director: Vincente Minnelli
- Nattvardsgästerna / Winter Light (1962), with Gunnar Björnstrand, Max von Sydow and Gunnel Lindblom. Director: Ingmar Bergman
- Agostino (1962). Director: Mauro Bolognini
- Tystnaden / The Silence (1963), with Gunnel Lindblom. Director: Ingmar Bergman
- Return from the Ashes (1965), with Maximilian Schell, Samantha Eggar. Director: J. Lee Thompson
- La guerre est finie / The War Is Over (1966), with Yves Montand. Director: Alain Resnais
- Vargtimmen / Hour of the Wolf (1968), with Max von Sydow. Director: Ingmar Bergman
- La caduta degli dei / The Damned (1969), with Dirk Bogarde, Helmut Berger. Director: Luchino Visconti
- Riten / The Rite (1969), with Ingmar Bergman and Gunnar Björnstrand. Director: Ingmar Bergman
- Viskningar och Rop / Cries and Whispers (1972), with Liv Ullmann, Harriet Andersson. Director: Ingmar Bergman
- La corta notte delle bambole di vetro / Short Night of Glass Dolls (1972), with Jean Sorel, Mario Adorf, Barbara Bach. Director: Aldo Lado
- En handfull kärlek / A Handful of Love (1974). Director: Vilgot Sjöman
- La Cage (1975), with Lino Ventura. Director: Pierre Granier-Deferre
- Salon Kitty (1976), with Helmut Berger. Director: Tinto Brass
- The Cassandra Crossing (1976), with Sophia Loren, Richard Harris, Burt Lancaster. Director: George Pan Cosmatos
- Efter repetitionen / After the Rehearsal (1984), with Erland Josephson. Director: Ingmar Bergman
- Il Giorno Prima / Contrôle (1987), with Ben Gazzara, Burt Lancaster, Kate Nelligan. Director: Giuliano Montaldo
- Ingrid Thulin biodata, filmreference.com; accessed 12 March 2015.
- "Bergman's leading lady dies at 76". BBC NEWS. 9 January 2004. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Tystnaden (1963)". Swedish Film Institute. 24 February 2014. Archived from the original on 11 March 2014.
- "Berlinale 1980: Juries". berlinale.de. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Cowie, Peter (1970): Sweden 1. An Illustrated Guide ... to the Work of the Leading Directors, Players, Technicians, and other Key Figures in Swedish Cinema, with Credits and Plot outlines to more than seventy important Films, and Index to 1,000 Titles, A. Zwemmer Ltd., London
- Cowie (1970): Sweden 2. A Comprehensive Assessment of the Themes, Trends, and Directors in Swedish Cinema, A. Zwemmer Ltd., London
- Cowie (1977): Film in Sweden. Stars and Players, Tantivy Press, London (ISBN 0-498-02013-4)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ingrid Thulin.|