Ingrid Lilian Thulin (Swedish pronunciation: [ˈɪ̌ŋːrɪd tɵˈliːn]; 27 January 1926 – 7 January 2004) was a Swedish film actress, director and screenwriter.
Thulin in 1952
Ingrid Lilian Thulin
27 January 1926
|Died||7 January 2004 (aged 77)|
(m. 1952; div. 1955)
(m. 1956; div. 1989)
Thulin was born in Sollefteå, Ångermanland, northern Sweden, the daughter of Nanna (née Larsson) and Adam Thulin, a fisherman. She took ballet lessons as a girl and was accepted by The Royal Dramatic Theatre ("Dramaten") in Stockholm 1948.
She was married to Harry Schein, the founder of the Swedish Film Institute, for more than 30 years until 1989, although they lived separately for many years before divorcing. She bought an apartment in Paris, France, in the early 1960s, and some years later a beach house in San Felice Circeo. In 1970, she became a resident of Sacrofano, Italy, where she lived for 34 years.
She returned to Sweden for medical treatment and later died from cancer in Stockholm, 20 days shy of her 78th birthday. Her memoir was published in 1992 ("Någon jag kände" ("Somebody I knew"); Norstedts Förlag; ISBN 91-1-919472-2).
For many years she worked regularly with Ingmar Bergman. Thulin appeared in Bergman's Wild Strawberries (1957), The Magician (1958, in which she spent much of the film dressed as a boy), Winter Light (1962), The Silence (1963), The Rite (1969) and Cries and Whispers (1972).
She shared the Best Actress award at the 1958 Cannes Film Festival and received a Guldbagge Award for Best Actress in 1964, the first year the award was given out, for her performance in The Silence. Winner of the David di Donatello Awards 1974, Thulin was also nominated for the BAFTA Award the same year. In 1980, she was the head of the jury at the 30th Berlin International Film Festival.
- Jørund Smed (1948) - Girl
- Havets son (1949) - Gudrun
- Kärleken segrar (1949) - Margit Dahlman
- Hjärter Knekt (1950) - Gunvor Ranterud
- När kärleken kom till byn (1950) - Agneta
- Leva på 'Hoppet' (1951, Director: Göran Gentele) - Yvonne
- Möte med livet (1952) - Viola
- Kalle Karlsson från Jularbo (1952) - Elsa
- En skärgårdsnatt (1953) - Ingrid
- Göingehövdingen (1953) - Anna Ryding
- I rök och dans (1954) - Woman in haystack (uncredited)
- Två sköna juveler (1954) - Lilly Fridh
- Danssalongen (1955) - Cecilia
- Hoppsan! (1955) - Malou Hjorthage
- Foreign Intrigue (1956, Director: Sheldon Reynolds) (with Robert Mitchum) - Brita
- Det händer i natt (1957) - Lily
- Smultronstället / Wild Strawberries (1957, Director: Ingmar Bergman) (with Victor Sjöström) - Marianne Borg
- Nära livet / Brink of Life (1958, Director: Ingmar Bergman) - Cecilia Ellius
- Ansiktet / The Magician (1958, Director: Ingmar Bergman) - Manda Vogler
- Domaren (1960, Director: Alf Sjöberg) - Brita Randel
- Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (1962, Director: Vincente Minnelli) (with Glenn Ford) - Marguerite Laurier
- Agostino (1962, Director: Mauro Bolognini) - Agostino's Mother
- Nattvardsgästerna / Winter Light (1962, Director: Ingmar Bergman) (with Gunnar Björnstrand, Max von Sydow and Gunnel Lindblom) - Märta Lundberg
- Tystnaden / The Silence (1963, Director: Ingmar Bergman) (with Gunnel Lindblom) - Ester
- Sekstet (1963) - Elaine
- Die Lady (1964) - Nadine
- Return from the Ashes (1965, Director: J. Lee Thompson) (with Maximilian Schell, Samantha Eggar) - Dr. Michele 'Mischa' Wolf
- La guerre est finie (1966, Director: Alain Resnais) (with Yves Montand) - Marianne
- Night Games (1966) - Irene
- Domani non siamo più qui (1967) - Gioia
- Vargtimmen / Hour of the Wolf (1968, Director: Ingmar Bergman) (with Max von Sydow) - Veronica Vogler
- Calda e... infedele (1968) - Camila
- Badarna (1968) - Cook
- Adélaïde (1968) - Elisabeth Hermann
- O.K. Yevtushenko (1968) - Nando Girl
- Riten / The Rite (1969, TV Movie, Director: Ingmar Bergman) (with Ingmar Bergman and Gunnar Björnstrand) - Thea Winkelmann
- La caduta degli dei (1969, Director: Luchino Visconti) (with Dirk Bogarde, Helmut Berger) - Baroness Sophie Von Essenbeck
- La corta notte delle bambole di vetro (1971, Director: Aldo Lado) (with Jean Sorel, Mario Adorf, Barbara Bach - Jessica
- N.P. il segreto (1971) - N.P.'s wife
- Viskningar och rop / Cries and Whispers (1972, Director: Ingmar Bergman) (with Liv Ullmann, Harriet Andersson) - Karin
- La sainte famille (1973) - Maria
- En handfull kärlek (1974, Director: Vilgot Sjöman) - Inez Crona
- Monismanien 1995 (1975) - Personundersökare
- La Cage (1975, Director: Pierre Granier-Deferre) (with Lino Ventura) - Hélène
- Salon Kitty (1976, Director: Tinto Brass) (with Helmut Berger) - Kitty Kellermann
- L'Agnese va a morire (1976) - Agnese
- The Cassandra Crossing (1976, Director: George Pan Cosmatos) (with Sophia Loren, Richard Harris, Burt Lancaster) - Dr. Elena Stradner
- En och en (1978) - Ylva
- It Rained All Night the Day I Left (1980) - Minor Role
- Efter repetitionen / After the Rehearsal (1984, TV Movie, Director: Ingmar Bergman) (with Erland Josephson)
- Il Giorno prima (1987, Director: Giuliano Montaldo) (with Ben Gazzara, Burt Lancaster, Kate Nelligan) - Mrs. Havemeyer
- Orn (1987)
- The House of Smiles (1991) - Adelina (final film role)
- Ingrid Thulin biodata, filmreference.com; accessed 12 March 2015.
- "Bergman's leading lady dies at 76". BBC NEWS. 9 January 2004. Retrieved 27 August 2016.
- "Tystnaden (1963)". Swedish Film Institute. 24 February 2014. Archived from the original on 11 March 2014.
- "Berlinale 1980: Juries". berlinale.de. Retrieved 15 August 2010.
- Cowie, Peter (1970): Sweden 1. An Illustrated Guide ... to the Work of the Leading Directors, Players, Technicians, and other Key Figures in Swedish Cinema, with Credits and Plot outlines to more than seventy important Films, and Index to 1,000 Titles, A. Zwemmer Ltd., London
- Cowie (1970): Sweden 2. A Comprehensive Assessment of the Themes, Trends, and Directors in Swedish Cinema, A. Zwemmer Ltd., London
- Cowie (1977): Film in Sweden. Stars and Players, Tantivy Press, London (ISBN 0-498-02013-4)
- Loman, Rikard Ingrid Lilian Thulin at Svenskt kvinnobiografiskt lexikon
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ingrid Thulin.|