Infanta Sofía of Spain
Infanta Sofía of Spain (Sofía de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz; born 29 April 2007) is the second child of King Felipe VI and Queen Letizia. She has an older sister, Leonor, whom she follows in the line of succession to the Spanish throne.
|Sofía de Borbón|
Infanta Sofia of Spain in June 2019
|Born||29 April 2007|
Ruber International Hospital, Madrid, Kingdom of Spain
|Father||Felipe VI of Spain|
|Mother||Letizia Ortiz Rocasolano|
Infanta Sofía was born on 29 April 2007 at 16:50 in the Ruber International Hospital in Madrid by means of a caesarean section, two days after due date. Like her elder sister, her birth was announced by the Royal Family to the press via SMS. It was announced that her umbilical cord stem cells would be sent to a European private bank in Belgium and to a Spanish public one. The parents, then the Prince and Princess of Asturias, did the same with Leonor's cells: they were taken to a private center in Arizona, which caused controversy in Spain.
Sofía was named after her paternal grandmother, Queen Sofía. She was christened on 15 July in the gardens of the Palacio de la Zarzuela. Her godparents are Paloma Rocasolano (her maternal grandmother) and the Prince of Vidin. Like her sister, she was given one name, with the additional name of de Todos los Santos (of All the Saints), at her christening, a Bourbon tradition.
She received her First Communion on 17 May 2017 at the parish Asunción de Nuestra Señora, and was accompanied by her parents her older sister, her grandparents, her maternal great-grandmother María del Carmen Álvarez del Valle, her step-grandmother Ana Togores, and Konstantin-Assen of Bulgaria.
Titles, styles and honoursEdit
Sofías' full title is: Her Royal Highness Sofía de Todos los Santos de Borbón y Ortiz, Infanta of Spain.
- Felipe VI. "Su Alteza Real la Infanta Doña Sofía". Casa de Su Majestad el Rey de España (in Spanish). Retrieved 12 December 2014.
- "Nacimiento de la segunda hija de Sus Altezas Reales los Príncipes de Asturias". Casa Real. 29 April 2007. Archived from the original on 1 May 2007. Retrieved 27 October 2018.
- Agencias (29 April 2007). "La segunda hija de los Príncipes de Asturias se llamará Sofía" [The second daughter of the Prince and Princess of Asturias will be called Sofía]. El País (in Spanish). Madrid. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- Galaz, Márbel (15 July 2007). "Sofía ya es Sofía de Todos los Santos" [Sofia is already Sofia de Todos los Santos]. El País (in Spanish). Madrid. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "Todos los detalles de la Comunión de la Infanta Sofía". Semana (in Spanish). 15 May 2017. Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- Redacción y Agencias (17 May 2017). "La infanta Sofía toma la comunión acompañada por sus padres y abuelos". La Vanguardia (in Spanish). Retrieved 23 April 2018.
- "Real Decreto 1368/1987, de 6 de noviembre, sobre régimen de títulos, tratamientos y honores de la Familia Real y de los Regentes". www.boe.es. Retrieved 13 May 2019.