Indian National Science Academy
|Established||7 January 1935|
|Founder||Lewis Leigh Fermor|
|Ajay K. Sood|
The Indian National Science Academy promotes science and its use in India. It was originally established in 1935 and was known as the 'National Institute of Sciences of India' until the present name was adopted in 1970. The Government of India recognised it in 1945 as the premier scientific society representing all branches of science in India. In 1968, it was designated as the adhering organisation in India to the International Council for Science (ICSU) on behalf of the Government of India. It is headquartered in New Delhi.
The Academy consists of Foundation fellows, Fellows (FNA) and Foreign Fellows. Election to the Academy is only by nomination. The objectives of the academy encompass promotion of science in India including its application to national welfare, safeguarding the interests of the scientists, establishing linkages with international bodies to foster collaboration and expressing considered opinion on national issues.
It plays a role in promoting, recognising and rewarding excellence in scientific research. With a view to promoting the pursuit of excellence in the field of 'Science and Technology', the academy has instituted 59 awards, placed in 4 categories, viz International Awards, General Medal & Lecture Awards, Subjectwise Medals/Lectures and Awards for Young Scientists. It also publishes journals, organises scientific discussions and brings out proceedings and monographs.
It is a signatory to the Berlin Declaration on Open Access to Knowledge in the Sciences and Humanities in 2004
The list of presidents of the society.
The academy publishes three peer-reviewed journals
- Proceedings of the Indian National Science Academy (formerly Proceedings of the National Institute of Sciences of India)
- Indian Journal of Pure and Applied Mathematics
- Indian Journal of History of Science
It also publishers a year book, annual reports, INSA News, biographical memoirs, special publications and the proceedings of INSA seminars and symposia.
- "Indian National Science Academy, New Delhi". Department of Science and Technology, India. 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Indian National Science Academy (INSA)". Inter Academies. 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "About INSA". Indian National Science Academy. 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2016.
- "Signatories". openaccess.mpg.de. Retrieved 1 April 2016.
- "Past Presidents". Indian National Science Academy. 2016. Retrieved 17 October 2016.