Indian Institute of Management Bangalore
Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) is a public business school located in Bangalore, Karnataka, India. Founded in 1973, it was the third IIM to be established, after IIM Calcutta and IIM Ahmedabad.
Motto in English
|May our study be brilliant and effective|
|Type||Public business school|
|Location||Bangalore, Karnataka, India
It offers Post Graduate, Doctoral and executive training programmes. The Post Graduate Programme in Management (PGP), a two-year, full-time residential MBA programme is IIMB's flagship programme. In addition to its main academic programmes, IIMB is also engaged in facilitating research, offering consultant services, conducting seminars and academic conferences and publishing journals.
In 1972, a committee headed by Ravi J. Matthai, seeing the rising demand for graduates of the first two IIMs namely IIM Calcutta and IIM Ahmedabad, recommended the need to have two more IIMs. While the first two IIMs were oriented towards the private sector, it was decided that the new institution shall be oriented towards public sector to cater to its growing needs of management graduates. The Institute at Bangalore was consequently set up next year, designed to cater exclusively to the needs of Public Sector enterprises. For the proposed institute, the Government of Karnataka offered 100 acres (40 ha) of land free of cost and a contribution of ₹3 million (US$46,000). T. A. Pai and N. S. Ramaswamy were appointed as chairman and director respectively. The institute was inaugurated by Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister of India, on 28 October 1973. The institute was started in St. Joseph's College of Commerce, and some other buildings, which were rented. The new institute came up at Bannerghatta Road in South Bangalore.
The motto derived from Sanskrit तेजस्वि नावधीतमस्तु (pronounced as tejasvi nāvadhītamastu) is an extract from the Shanti Mantra recited in Taittiriya Upanishad, Katha Upanishad, Mandukya Upanishad and Shvetashvatara Upanishad. The motto translates to May our study be vigorous and effective.
Prior to 2018, IIM Bangalore awarded diplomas instead of degrees because IIMs were not set up as universities through an act of parliament but as societies under the Societies Act. The Indian Institutes of Management Act, 2017 enacted by the Ministry of Human Resource Development in December 2017 declared IIMs as Institutes of National Importance, thereby allowing IIMs to award degrees to their students instead of diplomas. Consequently, in 2018, IIM Bangalore became the first IIM to award MBA degree to the graduates of the Post Graduate Programme in Management.
|Business – international|
|Financial Times (MiM) (2016)||19|
|Financial Times (MBA) (2017)||49|
|QS (MBA) (2018)||58|
|QS (MBA-Asia,Aus,NZ) (2018)||9|
|QS (EMBA-Asian) (2017)||14|
|Business/Management – India|
|Business Today (2016)||3|
Worldwide, the Financial Times has ranked IIM Bangalore #19 in its Masters in Management Ranking 2016 and #49 in its Global MBA Ranking 2017. The QS Global 250 MBA Rankings 2018 ranked it 58 in the world and 9 in Asia, Australia and New Zealand. The QS Global 100 EMBA Rankings by Region 2017 ranked it 14 in the Asia-Pacific region.
In India, IIMB was ranked second among management schools by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2018. It was also ranked third by Business Today's "India's best B-schools 2016".
IIM Bangalore successfully mentored IIM Trichy when it was established in 2011. Currently it mentors IIM Visakhapatnam from its establishment in 2015. IIM Visakhapatnam operates from temporary campus inside Andhra University. It follows similar PGP program with faculty coming from IIM Bangalore.
The current campus located at Bannerghatta Road in Bengaluru was designed by architect B. V. Doshi and was completed in 1983. The campus occupying an area of over 100-acres is located in South Bangalore. IIMB is known for its unique all-stone architecture and lush woods.
The academic blocks were designed by Stein, Doshi & Balla architects led by B. V. Doshi and were completed by 1983. A few blocks were added later owing to the increase in the number of students being enrolled. Currently, there are blocks lettered from A to P where classes, faculty offices and other administrative entities are located. The classes are fully air conditioned with state of art facilities.
The library is housed in a 55,000 square feet complex consisting of four floors. This fully automated state of art facility consists of about 235,000 documents and books apart from 85,000 journals are available for reference. The library also subscribes to 27 newspapers and more than 200 newsletters.
Hostels and Sports CentreEdit
IIMB consists of 16 hostel blocks apart from one executive block and the executive accommodation at the Management Development Centre. The hostel consists of 16 blocks named from A to P. IIMB has separate facilities for soccer, cricket, tennis, basketball, volleyball, badminton, table tennis and pool. An integrated indoor sports complex with a swimming pool is under construction.
The Auditorium is situated within the academic blocks. It has a seating capacity of 500 people and plays host to various events, functions and guest lectures held at the institute.
The institute has a 24-hour Internet connectivity with 600+ PCs and workstations. The campus is also fully WiFi enabled.
Nadathur S. Raghavan Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning (NSRCEL) was set up in 2002 to aid the entrepreneurial activities at IIMB. The centre acts an incubator for new business ideas.
There are several student-run clubs and societies at IIM Bangalore. The student bodies are divided into clubs, mini clubs, chapters and societies are managed by the students themselves and are governed by the Student Affairs Council. The following are the list of clubs and societies.
Students Affairs CouncilEdit
It is the apex body which controls all the aspects of student life including other clubs and societies.
The Academic Council is an elected body that facilitates the management of the academic system at IIM Bangalore. The Council acts as the interface between students and faculty and is also responsible for course bidding process.
More than 100 companies across the globe visit the campus every year for summers and final placements. The placement processes are governed by the Career Development Services and facilitated by the Placement Committee.
IIM Bangalore has an extensive network of partner B-schools worldwide through which it conducts student exchange programmes. Students of the flagship MBA program can go an exchange programme during the 5th term of the course. More than a hundred students from IIM Bangalore leave for foreign institutes and an equivalent number from various B-schools arrive in Bangalore.
Doctoral exchange is also available with schools such as National University of Singapore, University of Cologne and schools in the United States. Scholarships are provided by partner schools or by government grants such as German Academic Exchange Service.
IIMB celebrates the Foundation Day on October 28.
Eximius is the annual entrepreneurship summit organized by IIM Bangalore. The three-day event focuses on entrepreneurship and generation of new business ideas. The event has hosted several eminent speakers including Shashi Tharoor, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Piyush Pandey, Mallika Sarabhai, Kris Gopalakrishnan, Kiran Bedi, Rashmi Bansal, Shaheen Mistri, Harish Hande, D R Mehta among others.
Unmaad is the flagship annual cultural festival of IIM Bangalore. The three-day event draws participants from across India. Unmaad features drama and music performances, dances, quizzes, debates, street plays, professional concerts and a fashion show. The event has hosted performances by artists including Farhan Akhtar, Shankar Ehsaan Loy, KK, Kailash Kher, Lucky Ali, Strings, Jethro Tull, Indian Ocean.
Vista is an annual, international business summit hosted by IIM Bangalore. The three-day summit brings together leaders from the fields of marketing, finance, operations, human resources, consulting and social work. The platform lets students learn from business professionals through events, competitions and case studies. The event also incorporates guest speaker sessions. Previous speakers include Devi Shetty, Mukesh Ambani, Prahlad Kakkar, Kumar Mangalam Birla, Kamal Haasan, Kiran Mazumdar Shaw, Gurucharan Das, Justice Santosh Hegde, Arun Shourie, Gul Panag, M J Akbar, Nandita Das, Narain Karthikeyan and Shobhaa De.
Research in IIM Bangalore is performed in research centres focusing on different aspects of managements. These include the ERP Research Centre, Centre for Insurance Research and Education, N S Raghavan Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning, Centre for Public Policy, Centre for Software & Information Technology Management, Centre for Development of Cases and Teaching Aids, Centre for Corporate Governance and Citizenship Centre for Capital Market & Risk Management, Centre for Financial Markets and Institutions and the Supply Chain Management Centre.
Past and present faculty at IIM Bangalore include many prominent scholars who have gone on to become pioneers in their fields. Notable of them include:
- J Ramachandran, Chartered accountant, first Bain fellow in India and rated one of the best b-school professors in India
- Mendu Rammohan Rao, Former Director of IIM Bangalore and Dean Emeritus of Indian School of Business
- Prakash Apte, former Director of IIM Bangalore and UTI Chair in Capital Market Studies
- R Narayanaswamy, Chartered accountant, Visiting Professor at Manchester Business School and Osaka University and rated one of the best b-school professors in India
- Rajeev Gowda, Spokesperson for the Indian National Congress and former Chairperson of the Centre for Public Policy
- Ravi Neelakantan, Senior Fellow at Centre for Public Policy, IFS Officer and former diplomat
- Trilochan Sastry, Former Dean (Academic) and visiting professor at International University of Japan, Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and Indian School of Business
- N. S. Ramaswamy, Founder director of IIMB and Padma Bhushan recipient
IIM Bangalore has a strong alumni network with its alumni taking over many prestigious positions across the world. IIMB Alumni Association (IIMBAA) manages interactions with the Alumni network and keeps them engaged with the business school. Anusmaran, a yearly event conducted across multiple cities in the world serves as a rendezvous. Some of the prominent alumni include academicians such as Aswath Damodaran and Raghavendra Rau, author Karan Bajaj and film maker Nila Madhab Panda. K. Radhakrishnan, Chairman of ISRO and business executives like Ravi Subramanian and Sameer Suneja were also IIMB graduates.
In popular cultureEdit
The campus was the site for the shooting of the Bollywood film 3 Idiots directed by Rajkumar Hiranii and starring Aamir Khan, Kareena Kapoor, Boman Irani, R. Madhavan and Sharman Joshi. The film is loosely based on the famous novel Five Point Someone by Indian writer Chetan Bhagat.
- "Technical Education - Centrally funded Institutions - Management Education". education.nic.in. Archived from the original on 6 August 2011. Retrieved 29 August 2011.
- "International Admissions". IIMB. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- RC Bhargava; Ajit Balakrishnan; Anusua Basu; Ram S Tarneja; Ashok Thakur (25 September 2008). "Report of IIM Review Committee" (PDF). Ministry of HRD, Government of India. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 December 2010. Retrieved 19 March 2010.
- "About IIMB, history". IIMB. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- Taittiriya Upanishad, Translated by Swami Gambhirananda, Published by Advaita Ashram, Kolkata
- "IIMs are free to choose between degree or diploma for their postgraduate students: HRD Ministry". India Today. 6 April 2018. Retrieved 12 April 2018.
- "Masters in Management 2016". Financial Times. 2016. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "Global MBA Rankings 2017". Financial Times. 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "QS Global MBA Rankings 2018: Global". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2017.
- "QS Global MBA Rankings 2018: Asia, Australia & New Zealand". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2017.
- "QS Global 100 EMBA Rankings by Region 2017: Asia-Pacific". QS Quacquarelli Symonds Limited. 2017. Retrieved 18 June 2017.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2018 (Management)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2018. Retrieved 3 April 2018.
- "India's best B-schools 2016: Full List". Business Today. 4 December 2016. Retrieved 29 June 2017.
- Seshagiri, Mathang (4 Jan 2011). "IIM Trichy opens at NIT today, IIM-B To Handhold 11th IIM". The Times Of India Bangalore. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Programme – PGP". IIM Visakhapatnam. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "IIM Visakhapatnam Faculty". IIM Visakhapatnam. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Welcome to IIM Visakhapatnam". IIM Visakhapatnam. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "Foundation stone ceremony at IIM Vizag". IIM Bangalore. IIM Bangalore. Retrieved 23 June 2016.
- "IIMB Architecture Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. 10 June 2009. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Library at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. 18 February 2009. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Accommodation at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. 26 May 2009. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Computer Centre | Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. 26 May 2009. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Nadathur S. Raghavan Center for Entrepreneurial Learning, IIM Bangalore". Nsrcel.org. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Spidi". Spidi2.iimb.ernet.in. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Acad Council". IIMB. Retrieved 2 November 2011.
- "Placement at Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Partner Schools of Indian Institute of Management Bangalore". IIMB. 3 June 2009. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "IIMB celebrates 42nd Foundation Day on October 28". indiaeducationdiary.in. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "IIMB summit begins tomorrow". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 9 August 2013. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Shankar Ehsaan Loy live concert". buzzingtown.com. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "Jethro Tull concert in city today". The Hindu. Chennai, India. 3 February 2006. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- Vista (IIM Bangalore's Annual Business Summit)
- "IIM-B to host music festival". The Hindu. Retrieved 7 February 2016.
- "Sunset to sunrise". The Hindu. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "Music and dance extravaganza at IIM-B". The Times of India. Retrieved 18 March 2016.
- "IIMB Research". IIMB. Retrieved 12 September 2011.
- "India's best b-school professors". Business Today. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "Faculty of ISB". ISB. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "Prakash Apte is new IIM director". The Times Of India. 8 October 2002.
- "ISEC India team". ISEC India. Archived from the original on 6 May 2012. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- "Trilochan Sastry, Profile". IIMB. Retrieved 19 September 2015.
- Gautam, Vishwas (29 June 2008). "After Munna, Raju focuses on Idiots". The Times of India. Retrieved 9 October 2016.