Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad
Motto in English
|Progress Through the Application of Knowledge|
|Established||16 December 1961|
|Chairman||Kumar Mangalam Birla|
Established in 1961, the institute offers master's degree programmes in management and agri-business management, a fellowship programme and a number of executive training programmes. The Institute's founding director was Ravi J. Matthai. Other notable founding figures were the Indian physicist Vikram Sarabhai and Indian businessman Kasturbhai Lalbhai.
- 1 History
- 2 Campus
- 3 Academics
- 4 Research centers
- 5 Rankings
- 6 Events
- 7 Placements
- 8 Impact
- 9 People
- 10 See also
- 11 References
- 12 External links
IIM Ahmedabad was established on 11 December 1961 with the active support of the Government of India, the Government of Gujarat, Harvard Business School, and prominent members of Indian industry. The physicist Vikram Sarabhai and businessman Kasturbhai Lalbhai, both natives of Ahmedabad, played pivotal roles in setting up the institute. The institute's Kasturbhai Lalbhai Management Development Centre and a Kasturbhai Lalbhai Chair in Entrepreneurship are named in his honour. The management educator Ravi J. Matthai and several other Ahmedabad-based businessmen also played a major role in its creation.
The IIMA campus is situated across 102 acres in Vastrapur, Ahmedabad. The campus houses the academic blocks, faculty offices, student and faculty accommodation, the Vikram Sarabhai Library, the R.J. Matthai Auditorium, the Louis Kahn Plaza, the International Management Development Centre, the Kasturbhai Lalbhai Management Development Centre, the Centre for Innovation, Incubation and Entrepreneurship, sport facilities, several food outlets and merchandise stores.
In 1962, the IIMA board came to a formal agreement with the National Institute of Design (NID) for the latter to undertake the task of designing the IIM Ahmedabad campus. The National Institute of Design appointed American architect Louis Kahn and B.V. Doshi as architects for the project. Kahn worked on the IIMA project from 1962 until his death in 1974.
Kahn's architecture is characterized by the use of exposed red bricks, the extensive use of geometric shapes in hostels and academic blocks and vast corridors outside the classrooms. He combined Indian traditional and vernacular architecture and modern architecture skillfully. A number of tourists and architecture students often visit the campus for its phenomenal architectural impact.
Vikram Sarabhai LibraryEdit
The library is named after the institute's founder, renowned physicist Vikram Sarabhai. The library was instituted in 1962 and houses over 193000 books and has online subscriptions to greater than 24000 journals. The library provides access to 100+ digital databases relating to scholarly, company and industry information to the IIMA community. The library is located at the Louis Kahn Plaza. In year 2016, Tata Consultancy Services partnered with the university with a grant of ₹20 crore (US$2.8 million) to restore the library for digital learning and collaboration.
Students are provided single room accommodation in the 33 fully furnished dormitories spread across the campus. Married students can opt to live with their family in married students' hostels. Stay in dormitories is mandatory for students. Basic amenities including washing machines, refrigerators and TVs are available at each dorm.
Like other IIMs, IIM Ahmedabad currently offers master's degree in management as per the approval of the Indian Institute of Management Bill, 2017. These include two-year full-time programmes (PGP), one-year full-time residential programme for experienced professionals (PGPX), and ePost Graduate Programme (ePGP) in Management. IIM Ahmedabad also offers doctoral level fellowship programmes. The institute conducts a number of executive education and faculty development programmes. Recently the institute announced its PGP in advanced business analytics scheduled to start from the academic year 2020.
IIMA has affiliations with 78 leading business schools across the world. In 2015-16, 140 students from IIMA spent a semester at affiliate business schools across North America, Europe, Africa, Australia, and the Asia Pacific region, while 87 students from foreign colleges spent a semester at IIMA for the same period. The Institute has a Dual Degree and one term exchange programmes arrangement with a few business schools such as HEC Paris, Bocconi University, EDHEC Business school, University of Louvain,ESSEC Business School in Paris, University of Cologne, ESCP Europe and Emlyon Business School. Some of the students going on exchange receive scholarships from the Institute, DAAD Germany, the French Government and participating schools.
IIMA offers different academic programs and has admission processes and eligibility respectively. The IIMA admission process is based on the course candidate opt for. CAT score is the basic exam to apply for admission in all of the academic programs. apart from that, they accept applications from other entrance exams like GRE, GMAT, GATE, UGC-JRF & ICAR-SRF . The next major aspect for admission is the category (GEN & EWS, NC & OBC, SC, ST, PWD & PWD(ST) ), Total seats are further divided into the category where IIM accept admission on the category basis. Good academic record and percentage score is another major aspect. 
IIM also conducts its analytics writing test and personal interview (AWT & PI) in Ahmedabad, Banglore, Hyderabad, Kolkata, & New Delhi cities of selected candidates. Seats in IIMA are reserved, based on government instruction 27% of seats are reserved for NC-OBC, 15% for SC, 7.5% for ST candidates, 5% for Persons with Benchmark Disabilities (PwD), and up to 10% for Economically Weaker Sections (EWS).
The university has the following sector or mission oriented centres which are staffed by faculty members:
- Centre for Innovation, Incubation & Entrepreneurship (CIIE) - It was originally set up in 2012 as a research institution, with a grant pool from Government of Gujarat, the Department of Science and Technology (DST) and IIMA. It now operates as a section 8 non profit company under Companies Act 2013. The centre supports 40-60 ventures every year through its accelerator programmes, incubation spaces and seed investment programme. The centre has about 20,000 sq ft of incubation space in Ahmedabad, 30,000 sq ft in Pune and is in the process of setting up another one in Pune spread over 10,000 sq ft. The center also has a Young IIMAvericks Fellowship/Internship Programme for batch of graduating students who decide to take the route of entrepreneurship. In 2015, CIIE was invited to co-host the first India-US Startup Konnect in the Silicon Valley to showcase the strengths of India's startup ecosystem. In 2017, Securities and Exchange Board of India gave approval to Bharat Innovation Fund to operate as a Venture Capital Fund and also secured Category – I Venture Capital Fund status.
- India Gold Policy Centre
- Centre for e-Governance
- Centre for Infrastructure Policy and Regulation
- Centre for Management of Health Services
- Centre for Retailing
- IIMA-Idea Telecom Centre of Excellence
|Business – international|
|Financial Times (MiM) (2019)||21|
|Financial Times (MBA) (2019)||47|
|QS (MBA) (2020)||40|
|QS (MBA-Asia) (2020)||6|
|The Economist (2019)||75|
|Business/Management – India|
|Business Today (2019)||1|
|Outlook India (2020)||2|
Worldwide, the Financial Times has ranked IIM Ahmedabad 21 in its Masters in Management Ranking 2019 and 47 in its Global MBA Ranking 2019. The QS Global 250 MBA Rankings 2020 ranked it 40 in the world and 6th in Asia. It was ranked 75 by The Economist in its 2019 Full-time B-school ranking, the only institute in India to be ranked.
IIM Ahmedabad has been ranked 2nd among management schools in India by the National Institutional Ranking Framework (NIRF) in 2019. It was ranked second in India by Outlook India's "Top Public MBA Institutions In India" survey of 2020.
The Red Brick Summit (TRBS)Edit
The Red Brick Summit or TRBS, named after the red brick walls that the campus is known for, replaced 'Big Four' individual management fests/summits (Confluence, Amatheon, ConneXions, and Insight) as an umbrella management symposium. Instituted in 2017, the mega event - the biggest management symposium in Asia with a footfall of 20,000 students across more than 250 Indian and 30 international universities - sees renowned speakers talking about issues relevant to management and public policy, national-level business competitions, and workshops attended by hundreds. The speakers include Nirmala Sitharaman (Union Cabinet Minister, Defence), Maneka Gandhi (Union Cabinet Minister, Women and Child Development), Hasmukh Adia (Revenue Secretary, Government of India), and Deep Kalra (Founder-CEO of MakeMyTrip).
Chaos is the annual cultural festival of IIMA. Its yearly editions have been centred on themes like diversity, colour or going green. The cultural festivities draws footfalls of around 50,000 visitors from Ahmedabad over four days and participation from institutes across the country. Pro-nites (events hosted by professional artists) are especially a huge success with a large number of top class artists coming and performing on one stage. In the past, Chaos has witnessed musical performances by Jagjit Singh, Amit Trivedi, Raghu Dixit, Mohit Chauhan and Shankar Ehsaan Loy to name a few.
The placement process at IIM Ahmedabad is a student-driven process that institutionalizes placements for the entire batch. The Placement Committee elected by the students liaisons between the Institute administration, students and recruiters. Placements for the PGP and PGP-FABM courses are characterised by two phases - summer placements for the first-year batch and final placements for the graduating batch. The summers process is conducted in Nov/Dec for the first yearites. The second year placement committee handles the process for them. The placement process for the graduating is conducted in two stages. The first is the laterals process in January where firms interview students with prior work experience and offer them mid-level managerial positions. The second stage is the final placement process in around February. This process is handled by the newly elected committee among the PGP1s to avoid any conflict of interest and ensure a fair process. Companies from multiple sectors across different geographies hire candidates for a wide range of functions
IIMA has been instrumental in influencing the business landscape of the country, with the highest proportion of BSE 500 CEOs (who have an MBA) coming from IIMA. More than 400 students provide live consulting for businesses through the Forum for Industry Interaction annually. 84 projects were undertaken by students in 2015.
A key study by IIMA on salaries in the private and public sector helped shape the 7th Central Pay Commission's recommendations. Professors from IIMA have been appointed to eminent panels and committees, responsible for shaping key policies, by the government. IIMA's Gold Policy Centre is in the process of publishing a paper on the government's Gold Monetization Policy. The Punjab Prisons Department has signed a MoU with IIMA for a prison modernization project. The Central Vigilance Commission has asked IIMA to come up with India's first index to measure perceptions of graft and corruption, based on the Corruption Perceptions Index of Transparency International. Key studies on state health indexes have also been released by IIMA, helping to highlight the progress made on the same by various states across the country.
Through its Executive Education programs, IIMA will train key senior officers from Chhattisgarh, as well as state Chief Minister Raman Singh, focussing on key management practices and project management. Officers from the Delhi Jal Board will also undergo training on Project and Risk Management. A MoU has also been signed between the Institute and the Delhi Govt to train the principals of all 1024 schools run by it, with the training to be conducted by the RTE Resource Centre.
The Right to Education Resource Centre (RTE-RC), started by a group of students under the guidance of Prof. Ankur Sarin, helps parents fill out forms and get children admitted under the RTE Act, while also raising awareness about the issue of underutilization of the Act. The Centre received 1800 application in its first year of operation, raising the number of children admitted under RTE from 30 in 2013 to nearly 600 in 2014.
Launched in 2004, Prayaas impacts the lives underprivileged students by directly providing them a higher quality of education through specially appointed teachers, with classes running out of the New Campus, as also through funding drives that enable students to move to better schools, in a hope for better education and better lives. The IIMA community actively helps the children with their homework and preparation for examinations. Additionally, the children use the campus' facilities and participate in activities like painting, dance, crafts, etc.
IIMA, in association with the Wagh Bakri Group, set up an initiative called SMILE (Student Mediated Initiative for Learning to Excel) to educate underprivileged kids wherein students will conduct classes in their free time. This has been piloted in a space provided by the Ahmedabad Municipal Corporation (AMC) under a flyover near the IIMA campus.
Many alumni from the institute have made a name for themselves. Among BSE 500 CEOs with MBA, the highest proportion come from IIM Ahmedabad. Notable alumni are Chetan Bhagat, CK Prahalad , Deep Kalra, Harsha Bhogle , Raghuram Rajan , Ajay Banga, Sanjeev Bikchandani, KV Kamath, Shikha Sharma , and others .
19th Governor of the Reserve Bank of India C. Rangarajan was a faculty Professor of economics here and was later awarded the title of Honorary Fellow of IIMA in 1997. N. Ravichandaran who is currently a Professor, previously served as 4th director of Indian Institute of Management Indore. Abhishek Mishra was a faculty member for six years, before leaving to become a member of Samajwadi Party and an elected MLA of Uttar Pradesh. Anil Kumar Gupta was a professor who was awarded Padma Shri for his contributions to management education.
- Jahar Saha, Institute Director 1998-2002
- "Kumar Mangalam Birla appointed as new chairman of IIM-A". The Indian Express. 23 October 2016.
- "Professor Errol D'Souza appointed the new director of IIM Ahmedabad". The Economic Times. Retrieved 31 January 2018.
- "Programmes-IIMA". iima.ac.in. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- Nair, Chandu (11 September 2011). "How India's best-known B-school got built". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 8 November 2017.
- Anubhai, Prafull. The IIMA story : the DNA of an institution. Random House India. ISBN 8184001924.
- "Key facts-IIMA". iima.ac.in. Archived from the original on 14 July 2014. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Ravi Matthai: a rank outsider who became a pillar at IIM-A". Indian Express. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "How India's best-known B-school got built". Business Line. Retrieved 3 March 2012.
- "IIMA Campus". Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "Make the Most of Brick". Business Standard. Retrieved 5 February 2017.
- "TCS Foundation to restore IIM-Ahmedabad library with Rs 20 crore grant". Indian Express Limited. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "Cabinet Approves IIM Bill". Indian Express. Retrieved 4 February 2017.
- "Programme - IIMA". www.iima.ac.in. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "About PGPX - IIMA". www.iima.ac.in. Retrieved 23 November 2017.
- "ePost Graduate Programme: Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad". Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. Retrieved 22 January 2018.
- "FPM". Retrieved 10 February 2017.
- "IIM Ahmedabad to Offer PGP in Advanced Business Analytics from 2020". Analytics Insight. 16 October 2019. Retrieved 17 October 2019.
- "International Academic Partners". Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- "International Academic Partners". Retrieved 11 October 2019.
- emlyon. "Academic Partnerships - EMLYON Business School". emlyon. Retrieved 14 January 2020.
- "IIMA Student Exchange Programmes". Retrieved 10 October 2019.
- "Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad (IIMA)". Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- "Important Information - IIMA". Retrieved 13 January 2020.
- "Research Centres: IIMA". Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. Retrieved 22 November 2017.
- "Start-up Factory No.1". Business Today (India). Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "CIIE, IIM Ahmedabad: centre supports 60 ventures every year". The Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "IIMA Annual Report 2015-16". Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "PM Narendra Modi to address India-US Start-Up Konnect 2015". The Economic Times. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "Narendra Modi to Address the India-US startups event in US". The Financial Express. Retrieved 21 February 2018.
- "IIM Ahmedabad's CIIE get approval from Sebi for Bharat fund". The Economic Times. Retrieved 28 December 2017.
- "Business school rankings from the Financial Times - FT.com". rankings.ft.com. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "Global MBA Rankings 2019". Financial Times. 2019. Retrieved 28 January 2019.
- "World University Rankings - Full Time MBA: Global 2020". TopMBA.com. 24 September 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "World University Rankings - Full Time MBA: Asia 2020". Top Universities. 24 September 2019. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "2019 MBA & Business School Rankings Which MBA?". The Economist. Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "National Institutional Ranking Framework 2019 (Management)". National Institutional Ranking Framework. Ministry of Human Resource Development. 2019.
- "India's best B-schools 2019: Overall Ranking 2019". Business Today. 3 November 2019.
- "Outlook-ICARE India MBA Rankings 2020: Top Public MBA Institutions Outlook India Magazine". Retrieved 22 January 2020.
- "About us". www.iima-trbs.in. Retrieved 6 May 2019.
- "IIM-Ahmedabad all set to rock with 'Colourful Chaos 2012'". Ahmedabad Mirror. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Chaos ends at IIM-A". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "Iron Maiden show to intensify IIM-A Chaos". Times of India. Retrieved 23 July 2012.
- "The B-school education of top Indian CEOs". Live Mint. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Students of IIMA make inroads into consultancy before career". Economic Times. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Has the 7th Pay Commission narrowed the gap between public and private sector?". Economic Times. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Profile of Monetary Policy Committee Members". Economic Times.
- "IIMA's Gold Policy Centre to present white paper on gold monetization". Business Today. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Punjab ropes in IIMA to modernise prisons". Hindustan Times. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Vigilance Commission plans first-ever public perception index on graft". NDTV. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "OPPI released IIMA health study index". Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Raman Singh Ministers to undergo IIMA training". Times of India. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Delhi Jal Board" (PDF). Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "IIMA to train Delhi School principals". Ahmedabad Mirror. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Ahmedabad's lessons for RTE success with IIM's resource centre". DNA. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Prayaas". Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "Now a smile on Ahmedabad's underprivileged kids". Hindu Business Line. Retrieved 9 February 2017.
- "In Their 'A' Days". Business Today. 28 October 2012. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Bhuyan, Ragini (10 February 2016). "The B-school education of top Indian CEOs". Live Mint. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- "PM man listening,autonomy debate rages at IIMA". The Indian Express. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "IIM Indore gets new Director from IIMA". The Pioneer. Retrieved 20 January 2018.
- "I have paid a price to be in politics. I have sacrificed". Rediff.com. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Lucknow switch: How Abhishek Mishra replaced Mulayam man in 5 minutes flat". NDTV. Retrieved 26 January 2018.
- "Padma Shri award conferred on Prof Anil K Gupta - SRISTI". www.sristi.org. Archived from the original on 24 September 2015. Retrieved 30 March 2018.
- "Interview with Professor Anil Kumar Gupta, Indian Institute of Management, Ahmedabad". Retrieved 24 February 2018.
- Nayar, Lola (3 April 2017). "N.R. Narayana Murthy, Infosys". Outlook India. Retrieved 2 January 2018.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad.|