The Independent Publishers Guild (IPG), founded in 1962, is an association set up to support the needs of independent firms in the publishing industry in the United Kingdom, with a current membership of more than 600 companies. The IPG is a not-for-profit limited company and has a non-executive board of directors. The chief executive is currently Bridget Shine. The IPG is a forum that supports enables the exchange of information and the strengthening of partnerships between its membership of independent publishers and other relevant professional bodies.
Founded in 1962, the organisation was originally known as the Independent Publishers Group until in 1966/67, it became the Independent Publishers Guild.
The IPG's activities include conferences, the annual IPG Awards, which recognise the achievements of individuals and companies within the UK industry, and collective stands at the London Book Fair and the Frankfurt Book Fair.
In 2015, the IPG became a member of the Publishers Licensing Society, now known as Publishers' Licensing Services (PLS), an organisation owned and managed by the four main trade associations, the others being the Publishers' Association (PA), the Professional Publishers Association (PPA), and the Association of Learned and Professional Society Publishers (ALPSP).
IPG Independent Publishing AwardsEdit
In 2007, to recognise outstanding achievements in various aspects of the publishing industry the IPG launched the Independent Publishing Awards, which have become are the UK's biggest annual celebration of independent publishing.
- "Records of the Independent Publishers Guild", Special Collections, University of Reading.
- Natasha Onwuemezi, "IPG membership soars in 2016", The Bookseller, 19 September 2016.
- "Independent Publishers Guild" at the London Book Fair.
- "About the IPG", IPG website.
- "The IPG Board", IPG.
- "Bridget Shine, Executive Director – Independent Publishers Guild (IPG)" (interview), FirstyNews.
- "Mission, Vision and Values", IPG.
- "History of the IPG", IPG.
- Alison Jones, "Episode 77 – The Independent Publishers Guild with Bridget Shine" (interview), The Extraordinary Business Book Club, 4 September 2017.
- "LONDON BOOK FAIR GETS UNDERWAY", Montcalm, 16 April 2012.
- Natasha Onwuemezi, "IPG becomes member of PLS", The Bookseller, 24 September 2015.
- "Publishers' Licensing Services Is new name For Publishers Licensing Society", Copyright Licensing Agency, 10 October 2017.
- "What are the IPG Independent Publishing Awards?", IPG.