The Independent Greeks - National Patriotic Alliance (Greek: Ανεξάρτητοι Έλληνες (ΑΝΕΛ), Anexartitoi Ellines, ANEL) is a conservative, national-conservative, right-wing populist political party in Greece. The party won 10 seats in the September 2015 parliamentary election and agreed to renew its coalition government with the Coalition of the Radical Left (SYRIZA).
|General Secretary||Kostas Karabelas|
|Founded||24 February 2012|
|Split from||New Democracy|
|Headquarters||196, Syngrou Ave.|
176 71 Athens
|European Parliament group||No MEPs|
|Slogan||We are many—|
We are independent—
We are Greeks
5 / 300
0 / 21
51 / 703
The party was created on 24 February 2012 by Panos Kammenos, a former Member of Parliament (MP) for the conservative party New Democracy (ND). Kammenos had been expelled from the New Democracy parliamentary group after voting against Lucas Papademos' coalition government in a vote of confidence. The party's founding declaration was issued on 11 March 2012. Ten former ND deputies were founding members of the party, namely Elena Kountoura, Christos Zois, Kostas Markopoulos, Dimitrios G. Stamatis, Spyros Galinos, Mika Iatridi, Maria Kollia-Tsaroucha, Panagiotis Melas and Michalis Giannakis
The party gained 10.6% of the vote and 33 MPs in the parliamentary election in May 2012. In the snap June 2012 legislative election, ANEL received 7.5% of the vote, which reduced the party's representation to 20 MPs.
In the 2014 European Parliament election held on 25 May 2014, ANEL received 3.5% of the vote, electing a single MEP who sits with the European Conservatives and Reformists (ECR) group. The MEP, Notis Marias, left ANEL, however, and is now an independent member of the ECR group.
In the January 2015 legislative election held on 25 January 2015, ANEL received 4.75% of the vote and returned 13 MPs to the Hellenic Parliament. On 26 January 2015, ANEL agreed to form a governing coalition with the Coalition of the Radical Left.
The second election of the year, the September 2015 legislative election on 20 September 2015, returned ANEL to parliament with 10 seats from 3.69% of the vote. Syriza again agreed to form a coalition government with ANEL.
On January 13, 2019, Defence Minister Panos Kammenos and the Independent Greeks withdrew from Greece's ruling coalition over a deal struck on the Macedonia naming dispute, potentially leaving the governing coalition without a workable majority in parliament. However, the government was able to survive the confidence vote thanks to some ANEL dissidents.
Economically, the party calls for revoking the first and second memorandums, loan agreements between Greece, the EU and the International Monetary Fund. Further, it considers the agreements illegal and calls for lifting immunity from and then investigating and prosecuting Greek ministers, parliamentarians, and officials who negotiated the agreements or who otherwise bear blame for Greece's economic crisis.
In opposing the memorandums negotiated with 'The Troika', party leader Kammenos said Greece had become a "laboratory animal" in an austerity experiment conducted by the IMF and EU, who "used the public debt as a means of control." Kammenos has focused much of his fire on Germany, stating that "Germany is not treating Greece as a partner but as its master. … It tries to turn a Europe of independent states into a Europe dominated by Germany."
The party's official program states it will repudiate part of Greece's debt because it was created by speculators in a conspiracy to bring Greece to the edge of bankruptcy. It announced in December 2012 that it would start working to create a patriotic Democratic Front, whose aim is to save "Greece from the neo-liberal avalanche."
33 / 300
20 / 300
13 / 300
10 / 300
|3||#7||Coalition gov't 2015-2019
1 / 21
Members of ParliamentEdit
As of 25 January 2019 the Independent Greeks have six MPs in the Hellenic Parliament:
|Panagiotis (Panos) Kammenos||Athens B|
|Athanasios Papachristopoulos||Athens B|
|Konstantinos Zouraris||Thessaloniki A|
|Artidis Fokas||Thessaloniki B|
On 16 June 2018 Dimitrios Kammenos was expelled from the party, because he voted to topple the government in a recent no confidence vote tabled by Official Opposition party New Democracy. On 26 June Georgios Lazaridis left his party’s parliamentary group and declared himself independent citing opposition to the Greece-Republic of Macedonia naming agreement signed on 17 June 2018, as the reason for leaving the party.
On 14 January 2019 Elena Kountoura and Vasilion Kokkalis were expelled from the party due to their continuing support for Tsipras government after Independent Greeks left it over the Prespa agreement dispute.
- "Kammenos attracts another New Democracy breakaway", Athens News, 20 March 2012, archived from the original on 2 April 2012
- Loizides, Neophytos (2015). The Politics of Majority Nationalism: Framing Peace, Stalemates, and Crises. Stanford University Press. p. xxv.
- Tom Lansford (2014). Political Handbook of the World 2014. SAGE Publications. p. 549. ISBN 978-1-4833-3327-4.
- Nordsieck, Wolfram (2015). "Greece". Parties and Elections in Europe.
- "Venizelos draws battle lines for general elections", Ekathimerini, 15 March 2012
- Boyka M. Stefanova (2014). The European Union beyond the Crisis: Evolving Governance, Contested Policies, and Disenchanted Publics. Lexington Books. p. 261. ISBN 978-1-4985-0348-8.
- Christian Karner; Bram Mertens (2013). The Use and Abuse of Memory: Interpreting World War II in Contemporary European Politics. Transaction Publishers. p. 168. ISBN 978-1-4128-5203-6.
- Mannin, Michael (2013). Evaluating the Europeanization Effect. The Europeanization of European Politics. Palgrave Macmillan. p. 210.
- Squires, Nick. "Greek election: who are Independent Greeks?". The Daily Telegraph. London.
- Chu, Ben. "Greece elections: Who are Syriza and what effect will their new government have on Europe?". The Independent. London.
- http://www.europarl.europa.eu/meps/en/search.html?country=GR European Parliament: Greek MEPs
- The counselors of the Regions.
- Helena Smith. "Alexis Tsipras takes oath of office after victory in Greece general election". The Guardian. London.
- "Ousted New Democracy MP starts own party", Ekathimerini, 24 February 2012
- "Kammenos introduces Independent Greeks", Athens News, 11 March 2012, archived from the original on 14 March 2012
- "Ten former ND MPs move with Kammenos", Capital, 14 March 2012
- "ekathimerini.com - Profile of parties running in May 6 Greek elections". ekathimerini.com.
- Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc. (1 March 2013). Britannica Book of the Year 2013. Encyclopædia Britannica, Inc. p. 427. ISBN 978-1-62513-103-4.
- "Parliamentary Elections January 2015". Archived from the original on 26 January 2015. Retrieved 12 February 2019.
- "Greece anti-bailout leader Tsipras made prime minister". BBC News.
- "Syriza and Independent Greeks agree Greece coalition". BBC News. 25 January 2015.
- Anastasios Papapostolou. "Greek Elections: Official Final Results". greekreporter.com.
- "SYRIZA chief confirms plan to form government with Independent Greeks". ekathimerini.com.
- "Greek election: who are Independent Greeks?". The Daily Telegraph. London. 26 January 2015.
- "Greek conservative rebel battles German "domination"", National Post, 23 April 2012
- Independent Greeks respond to the scenarios for the collapse of the party with a founding congress grreporter.info
- "ΔΗΛΩΣΗ ΤΗΣ ΒΟΥΛΕΥΤΟΥ Α΄ΘΕΣΣΑΛΟΝΙΚΗΣ ΤΩΝ ΑΝΕΞΑΡΤΗΤΩΝ ΕΛΛΗΝΩΝ ΧΡΥΣΟΥΛΑΣ – ΜΑΡΙΑΣ ΓΙΑΤΑΓΑΝΑ". Anexartitoiellines.gr. 12 March 2013. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "ΟΜΙΛΙΑ ΤΗΣ ΕΙΔΙΚΗΣ ΑΓΟΡΗΤΡΙΑΣ ΤΩΝ ΑΝΕΞΑΡΤΗΤΩΝ ΕΛΛΗΝΩΝ, ΒΟΥΛΕΥΤΟΥ ΜΑΓΝΗΣΙΑΣ ΜΑΡΙΝΑΣ ΧΡΥΣΟΒΕΛΩΝΗ ΣΤΗ ΒΟΥΛΗ ΚΑΤΑ ΤΗ ΣΥΖΗΤΗΣΗ ΕΠΙ ΤΗΣ ΑΡΧΗΣ ΤΟΥ ΣΧΕΔΙΟΥ ΝΟΜΟΥ ΤΟΥ ΥΠΟΥΡΓΕΙΟΥ ΕΣΩΤΕΡΙΚΩΝ ΓΙΑ ΤΗ ΜΕΤΑΝΑΣΤΕΥΣΗ ΚΑΙ ΤΗΝ ΚΟΙΝΩΝΙΚΗ ΕΝΤΑΞΗ ΜΕΤΑΝΑΣΤΩΝ". Anexartitoiellines.gr. 19 March 2014. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- "Η παρουσίαση του κόμματος ΑΝΕΞΑΡΤΗΤΟΙ ΕΛΛΗΝΕΣ από τον Πάνο Καμμένο στο Δίστομο στις" (PDF). Anexartitoiellines.gr. 11 March 2012. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- Lizzie Dearden (26 January 2015). "Independent Greeks: Who are Syriza's right-wing coalition partners and what do they want? -". The Independent. London. Retrieved 18 March 2015.
- Οnline, Τα Νέα. "Independent Greeks MP resigns party after grass roots pressure on FYROM". Τα Νέα Οnline (in Greek). Retrieved 27 June 2018.
- "Κουντουρά - Κόκκαλης στηρίζουν την κυβέρνηση και διαγράφονται από τους ΑΝΕΛ". ΑΘΗΝΑ984 (in Greek). 14 January 2019. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- Στην ΚΟ των ΑΝΕΛ ο Αριστείδης Φωκάς