Iglesia del Niño Jesús de Praga
|Coordinates (city): Coordinates:|
|• Alcalde||Gonzalo Durán Baronti (PS)|
|• Total||7.4 km2 (2.9 sq mi)|
|• Density||8,800/km2 (23,000/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-4 (CLT )|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-3 (CLST )|
|Area code(s)||56 +|
|Website||Municipality of Independencia|
According to the 2002 census of the National Statistics Institute, Independencia spans an area of 7.4 km2 (3 sq mi) and has 65,479 inhabitants (30,633 men and 34,846 women), making the commune an entirely urban area. The population fell by 15.8% (12315 persons) between the 1992 and 2002 censuses. The 2006 projected population was 57,886.[failed verification]
As a commune, Independencia is a third-level administrative division of Chile administered by a municipal council, headed by an alcalde who is directly elected every four years. The 2012-2016 alcalde is Gonzalo Durán Baronti (PS). The communal council has the following members:
- Pilar Durán Baronti (PS)
- Rodrigo Barco Sánchez (RN)
- Carola Rivero Canales (PS)
- América López Moris (DC)
- Margarita Vásquez Contreras (UDI)
- Sandra Álvarez Ruíz (RN)
- Elena Salazar Bonta (PC)
- José Miguel Cuevas Fonsea (PS)
Within the electoral divisions of Chile, Independencia is represented in the Chamber of Deputies by Patricio Hales (PPD) and Sra. Claudia Nogueira (UDI) as part of the 19th electoral district, (together with Recoleta). The commune is represented in the Senate by Guido Girardi Lavín (PPD) and Jovino Novoa Vásquez (UDI) as part of the 7th senatorial constituency (Santiago-West).
- "Municipality of Independencia" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "Asociación Chilena de Municipalidades" (in Spanish). Retrieved 27 January 2011.
- "National Statistics Institute" (in Spanish). Retrieved 13 December 2010.
- "Chile Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 11 September 2007. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Chile Summer Time". WorldTimeZones.org. Archived from the original on 11 September 2007. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "System of Regional Information". Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 23 August 2010. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- "Poverty in the Santiago Metropolitan Region" (PDF). Ministry of Planning of Chile (in Spanish). Archived from the original (PDF) on August 24, 2007.
- "The Trajectories of Human Development in the Communes of Chile (1994-2003)" (PDF). Government of Chile, Mideplán. UNDP. Archived from the original (PDF) on 7 July 2011. Retrieved 13 September 2010.
- (in Spanish) Municipality of Independencia