Inappropriateness(Redirected from Indecency)
|Look up inappropriateness in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's general notability guideline. (December 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Inappropriateness refers to standards or ethics that are typically viewed as being negative in society. It differs from things that are illicit in that inappropriate behavior does not necessarily have any accompanying legal ramifications.
Synonyms of inappropriate include improper, unbefitting, and unsuitable. Although social ills are usually outlawed in wider society, there are many examples wherein various jurisdictions give their inhabitants full discretion over certain aspects of their lives so they can police themselves without any intrusiveness. For instance although it is legal to flatulate in a crowded elevator, there are strong social pressures not to do so. Other socially contentious behavior, such as smoking while pregnant may procure a statement from a public health organization rather than from a law enforcement organization. The term has also been used to negatively refer to the usage of recreational drugs.
- Encyclopedia of Special Education, Elaine Fletcher-Janzen - 2007, p 143
- Handbook of Social Psychology - Page 564, Amanda Ward - 2013
- Burtons Legal Thesaurus 5th Edition: Over 10,000 Synonyms, Terms, and Expressions Specifically Related to the Legal Profession, page 871, William Burton - 2013
- Policing Citizens: Authority and Rights - Page 31, P. A. J. Waddington - 1999
- Arthur, Robert (2012). You Will Die: The Burden of Modern Taboos. p. III.
- "Alcohol and smoking in pregnancy - nidirect". nidirect.gov.uk. 12 November 2015.
- Language and behavior - Page 169, Charles G. Russell - 1993