This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Nawal's mother in a 2012 performance at the Lise-Guèvremont theatre, Montreal
|Written by||Wajdi Mouawad|
The play was based on parts of the life of Lebanese communist militant, Soha Bechara. Charlotte Facet notes that Mouawad met with Bechara before writing the play, but adds that some of the material is adapted from Randa Chahal Sabag's film work on and with Bechara, while noting that many of the characteristics of Bechara are divided between the main characters including Jeanne and Simon, rather than Nawal alone.
Incendies follows the journey of twins Jeanne (Janine in the English translation) and Simon, as they attempt to unravel the mystery of their mother's life. When Jeanne and Simon Marwan lose their mother, Nawal, they are instead left with a difficult mission that sends them on a journey to the Middle East in pursuit of their tangled roots and a long-lost brother.
The 2007 production at the Tarragon Theatre in Toronto won two Dora Mavor Moore Awards, including Best Play and Best Director (for Richard Rose). The production has been remounted several times and went on a cross-Canada tour in 2008–2009.
Incendies was adapted into a 2010 film of the same title by Denis Villeneuve. It stars Mélissa Désormeaux-Poulin, Maxim Gaudette, and Lubna Azabal. It was nominated for the 2011 Academy Award in the Best Foreign Language Film category.
- Roberto Esposito. 25 June 2018. p. 219. ISBN 9781438470368.
- Narrative, Emotion, and Insight. 2011. p. 155. ISBN 9780271048574.
- Myth and Emotions. 6 November 2017. p. 326. ISBN 9781527505094.
- "Scorched (9780887547607): Wajdi Mouawad: Books". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2015-08-28.
- Holstun, Jim (Fall 2015). "Antigone Becomes Jocasta: Soha Bechara, Résistante, and Incendies". Mediations vol. 29, no. 1. Retrieved 19 July 2017.
- "Seeing yourself re-made as fiction".
- "Lebanese civil war explodes screen Incendies".
- "Incendies". Archived from the original on 2011-11-29. Retrieved 2019-04-13.
- Mouawad, Wajdi (2018). Incendies. Montreal: Leméac. p. 145. ISBN 978-2-7609-36188.
- Mouawad, Wajdi (2018). Incendies. Montreal: Leméac. p. 146. ISBN 978-2-7609-36188.
-  Archived June 20, 2009, at the Wayback Machine
-  Archived August 25, 2009, at the Wayback Machine