In Search of Tomorrow
In Search of Tomorrow is an upcoming documentary film, written and directed by David A. Weiner. It takes the viewer on a year-by-year deep dive into science fiction films of the 1980s, such as Star Wars,[which?] Star Trek,[which?] Blade Runner, E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, Back to the Future, Dune, RoboCop, Aliens, Tron, WarGames, The Terminator, Ghostbusters, 1984, Brazil, Predator, Akira, The Road Warrior, The Thing, The Abyss, Short Circuit, Highlander and several more. The film also examines the science and technology behind the fiction amid insider tales of the creative process.
|In Search of Tomorrow|
|Directed by||David A. Weiner|
|Written by||David A. Weiner|
|Produced by||Robin Block|
Daniel G. Rego
|Edited by||Samuel Way|
The documentary features original interviews of key '80s sci-fi filmmakers, actors, special-effects and visual effects masters, as well as tech advisors, authors, influencers, composers and visionaries. Interspersed between the yearly timelines is a wide range of chapters that delve deeper into the intricacies of specific aspects of the movies including, worldbuilding, storytelling, character definition, costume design, and more.
The documentary follows a year-by-year timeline, where each film segment combine talent from the project and/or experts discussing aspects such as plot, the film's emotional and cultural impact, behind-the-scenes anecdotes, toys, tie-ins and marketing, creative visions influencing contemporary tech/architecture/landscape design.
It also contains interstitial chapters that further explores themes such as:
- Heroes and Heroines: Hear from the actors, writers, directors, and producers who brought sci-fi icons such as Rick Deckard, Ellen Ripley, and the Terminator to movie screens.
- SFX Breakdowns: Learn how robot, creature, and spaceship effects were created. The filmmakers will be interviewing the artists who designed and operated the models, puppets, and animatronics that brought creatures and characters to life.
- Production Design & Worldbuilding: Learn about the creation of the costumes, weapons, and post-apocalyptic landscapes that set the scene for audiences' favorite stories.
- Socio/Political Context: How '80s sci-fi reflected the socio-political context in which it was made: Tech advances, Reaganomics, Live Aid, big business, and the AIDS crisis.
- Genre Mixing: Exploring how other genres - fantasy, action, horror, and comedy - are very much intertwined with the sci-fi genre. Where does one begin and the other end?
- Legacy: Discuss the importance of '80s sci-fi genre in a modern-day context. Why is '80s sci-fi still so relevant today?
Specialized media Nerdist references director David A. Weiner, detailing "In Search of Tomorrow promises to be an even more ambitious film journey worthy of the amazing content and creators that came out of '80s Sci-Fi cinema: A celebration of human potential, exploring the most inspiring and eclectic movies of the decade, year-by year, that firmly captured our collective imaginations and changed our lives".
In May 2020, /Film blog wrote, "The doc is billed as a 'love-letter to the Sci-Fi films we grew up with; the films that dared to ask, "what if?" and offered us a vision of future technology, society, and culture that simultaneously delighted, amazed and scared us.'"
Kervyn Cloete, from CriticalHit wrote, "As somebody who grew up with many of these films, I can’t wait to watch this documentary".
- "In Search of Tomorrow's Director Dishes on What Will Be the Ultimate Documentary for 1980s Sci-Fi Fans | Gizmodo UK". Gizmodo.co.uk. 19 May 2020. Retrieved 28 May 2020.
- "IN SEARCH OF TOMORROW Documentary Explores '80s Sci-Fi". Nerdist. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- Lovett, Jamie (5 May 2020). "In Search of Tomorrow: Crowdfunded '80s Sci-Fi Documentary to Examine Star Wars, Star Trek, and More". Comicbook.com. Retrieved 28 May 2020.
- "Documentary 'In Search of Tomorrow' to Explore '80s Sci-Fi". Hollywood Reporter. 21 April 2020. Retrieved 28 May 2020.
- "'In Search of Tomorrow' Trailer: A Documentary Devoted to '80s Sci-Fi". /Film. 9 May 2020. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- "Check out the definitive 80s sci-fi documentary in the trailer for In Search of Tomorrow". 13 May 2020. Retrieved 29 May 2020.
- Gareth Branwyn (16 May 2020). "Crowdfunding "In Search of Tomorrow," the ultimate 80s sci-fi film documentary / Boing Boing". Boingboing.net. Retrieved 28 May 2020.