Illegal Alien (song)
|Single by Genesis|
|from the album Genesis|
|B-side||"Turn It On Again" (Live)|
|Released||23 January 1984|
|Length||4:33 (45) 5:14 (LP)|
|Label||Atlantic, Virgin, Vertigo|
|Songwriter(s)||Tony Banks, Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford|
|Producer(s)||Genesis, Hugh Padgham|
|Genesis singles chronology|
The song's lyrics are a satirical depiction of the frustrations an illegal Mexican immigrant faces in coming to the United States, leading up to the chorus: "It's no fun being an illegal alien."  The second stanza of the bridge — in which the trespasser offers sexual favors from his sister in exchange for admittance across the border — was edited from radio versions of the song, as well as from the music video version. Writing a quarter-century after its release Wired Magazine's Scott Thill called the video "a train wreck" .
Phil Collins played trumpet and Tony Banks used an Emulator sampler while recording the song.
The song's music video depicts most of the events described in the lyrics. At the end of the video, the entire cast and crew is seen singing the repeated chorus along with the band members. The clip was filmed at the same time as the video for "Mama".
"Illegal Alien" was only played live in its entirety during the Mama Tour. A live version is featured on disc two of Genesis Archive 2: 1976–1992, which was recorded live at the L.A. Forum, Los Angeles, California on 14 January 1984. The home video The Mama Tour features a live version of the song performed at the National Exhibition Centre in Birmingham, England, in February 1984.
- 7" Single
- "Illegal Alien" (4:33)
- "Turn It On Again" (Live) (5:24)
- 12" maxi
- "Illegal Alien" (5:14)
- "Turn It On again" (Live extended version) (9:26)
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||41|
|UK Singles (The Official Charts Company)||46|
|US Billboard Hot 100||44|
- Genesis UK chart history, The Official Charts Company. Retrieved 18 May 2012.
- It's No Fun Bein' A Really Good Genesis Song. The A.V. Club; 2/5/2018. https://film.avclub.com/its-no-fun-bein-a-really-good-really-offensive-genesis-1798213295
- Revisiting Genesis' Self-Titled 1983 Album. Ultimate Classic Rock website; Oct 5, 2013. http://ultimateclassicrock.com/genesis-self-titled-album/
- Scott Hill, Genesis’ “Illegal Alien:” Worst Song Ever? Or Worst Video Ever? Wired, May 30, 2008. https://www.wired.com/2008/05/genesis-illegal/
- Mama Tour Songs & Dates
- "Canadian peak". Archived from the original on 3 January 2017. Retrieved 16 November 2012.