Ilica is one of the longest streets in Zagreb, Croatia. The busy street is home to many shops and cultural sites and spans through most of the northwestern part of the city, from the Ban Jelačić Square in the city centre westward to the Vrapče district. The street is 5.6 km (3.5 mi) long, making it the third longest street in the city.
|Former name(s)||Lončarska ves|
|Length||5.6 km (3.5 mi)|
|From||Vrapče train station|
|To||Ban Jelačić Square|
The name was first recorded in 1431, while the street itself retained its present shape at the end of the 18th century. In the 14th century, the street was known under the name Lončarska ves (archaic Croatian for "Potters' village", also Vicus lutifigulorum in Latin).
Notable addresses edit
- 1 Ilica - 1 Ilica skyscraper
- 3 Ilica - Croatian Bureau of Statistics (formerly Croatian Discount Bank)
- 4 Ilica - Nama (formerly Kastner & Öhler) department store
- 5 Ilica - Palace of the First Croatian Savings Bank with Oktogon
- 7 Ilica - Metropolitanate of Zagreb and Ljubljana
- 12 Ilica - British Council in Zagreb
- 17 Ilica - The Tošo Dabac Archive
- 36 Ilica - Plavi telefon (Blue Phone), helpline for children and youth
- 48 Ilica - Democratic Centre party headquarters
- 85 Ilica - Zagreb Academy of Fine Arts
- 208 Ilica - EXIT Theater
- 224 Ilica - Zagrebačka pivovara
- "Ulice koje zbunjuju poštare, spajaju parove i izluđuju susjede" (in Croatian). 20 July 2009. Retrieved 2017-04-24.
- "Ovo nije najduža ulica, ali je 'najzagrebačkija'".
- Hawkesworth, Celia (2007). Zagreb: A Cultural and Literary History. Signal Books. p. 31. ISBN 9781904955306.
- "NAMA kroz povijest". nama.hr (in Croatian). Nama. Retrieved 2 September 2020.
Further reading edit
- "Ilica ili Lončarska ves". Vjesnik (in Croatian). 2007-02-03. Archived from the original on 2007-11-13., article about the history of Ilica street
- Špoljarić, Branimir (1998-12-15). "Iako ne i najduža, Ilica je ostala najvažnijom ulicom u Zagrebu". Vjesnik (in Croatian). Archived from the original on 2008-02-13. Retrieved 2008-07-26.