Il Divo (album)
Il Divo is the self-titled debut studio album to be released by classical crossover vocal group Il Divo, formed by Simon Cowell in 2004. The album was released on 1 November 2004 in the United Kingdom, via Syco Music, and on 19 April 2005 in the United States, via Columbia Records. The album contains three songs performed in English, six songs performed in Italian, and three songs performed in Spanish, excluding the bonus track. As of December 2013, the album had sold more than 1.5 million copies in the UK. The album has sold more than 5,000,000 worldwide copies to date.
|Studio album by|
|Released||1 November 2004 (United Kingdom) |
19 April 2005 (United States)
|Recorded||February – September 2004, Metropolis Studios, London|
|Il Divo chronology|
|Singles from Il Divo|
Recording started in the first half of 2004 in Sweden, with producers Quiz & Larossi, Per Magnusson & David Kreuger and in the UK with producer Steve Mac. This self-titled album contained the Spanish Regresa a mí, their second single and first original song Mama; Sinatra's My Way (A mi manera); Nella Fantasia, and 1994's San Remo Festival winner Passerà.
In the United Kingdom, the Il Divo album knocked Robbie Williams off the number 1 spot in the UK charts, Williams allegedly said to them at the Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason film premiere, "So you are the four idiots who have forced me off my number one spot!"
This multiplatinum-selling CD became number one in the charts in a total of 13 countries around the world, and achieved top 5 placing in 25 countries.
- "Regresa a mí" was released as the album's lead single on 22 October 2004. The song is a cover of the original English-language version performed by R&B singer Toni Braxton, originally released in June 1996. The single remain's the band most successful single release to date. The band's Spanish version of the track received positive appreciation from critics, who said that the cover "has the potential to be a hit and to open doors for many of operas most acclaimed stars."
- "Mama" was released as the album's third single on 7 May 2005. "Mama" was the first original song ever released as a single by the band. It was released both as limited edition CD single and DVD single. It was also included on the band's live album, Live at the Greek Theatre. The songwriters behind "Mama", Andreas "Quiz" Romdhane and Josef Larossi, have contributed the largest number of original songs for the band, including "Sei parte ormai di me", "Isabel", "Si tu me amas", "Esisti dentro me" and "Una Noche". The song has also been covered and translated into other languages, including to Afrikaans by the artist Kurt Darren, and into Italian by Paul Potts.
|1.||"Regresa a mí"||Diane Warren||Steve Mac||4:42|
|2.||"Mama"||Andreas Romdhane, Josef Larossi, Savan Kotecha||Steve Mac, Quiz & Larossi||3:19|
|3.||"Nella Fantasia"||Ennio Morricone, Chiara Ferraù||Per Magnusson, David Kreuger||4:26|
|4.||"Passerà"||Aleandro Baldi, Giancarlo Bigazzi, Marco Falagiani||Steve Mac||4:40|
|5.||"Everytime I Look at You"||Andy Hill, John Reid||Per Magnusson, David Kreuger||3:31|
|6.||"Ti amerò"||Matteo Saggese, Per Magnusson, David Kreuger, Frank Musker||Per Magnusson, David Kreuger||4:01|
|7.||"Dentro un altro si"||Andy Hill, Don Black||Per Magnusson, David Kreuger||4:34|
|8.||"The Man You Love"||Steve Mac, Blair Daly, Troy Verges||Steve Mac||3:56|
|9.||"Feelings"||Jörgen Elofsson||Steve Mac||3:39|
|10.||"Hoy que ya no estás aquí"||Jörgen Elofsson, Tony Vincent||Steve Mac, Mathias Venge||4:19|
|11.||"Sei parte ormai di me"||Andreas Romdhane, Josef Larossi, Brian McFadden, Shane Filan, Matteo Saggese, Mino Vergnaghi||Quiz & Larossi||4:28|
|12.||"My Way (A mi manera)"||Jacques Revaux, Claude François, Gilles Thibaut, Paul Anka||Steve Mac||4:28|
|American Bonus Track|
|13.||"Unchained Melody (Senza catene)"||3:51|
|Australia (ARIA)||3× Platinum||210,000^|
|Austria (IFPI Austria)||Platinum||30,000*|
|Belgium (BEA)||2× Platinum||100,000*|
|Canada (Music Canada)||3× Platinum||300,000^|
|Finland (Musiikkituottajat)||2× Platinum||66,441|
|France (SNEP)||2× Gold||200,000*|
|Netherlands (NVPI)||2× Platinum||160,000^|
|New Zealand (RMNZ)||Gold||7,500^|
|Norway (IFPI Norway)||Platinum||40,000*|
|Spain (PROMUSICAE)||2× Platinum||160,000^|
|Switzerland (IFPI Switzerland)||Platinum||40,000^|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||5× Platinum||1,500,000^|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000^|
|Europe (IFPI)||2× Platinum||2,000,000*|
*sales figures based on certification alone
- "Steve Mac (2)". Discogs.
- Allmusic review
- "Official Charts Analysis: One Direction sell another 124k of new album - Analysis - Music Week". www.musicweek.com.
- larazon.es (ed.). "Il Divo: Divinos y humanos".
- "IL DIVO - IL DIVO 2004".
- Robbie's alleged statement. Accessed 5 March 2008.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2005 Albums". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Austrian album certifications – Il Divo – Il Divo" (in German). IFPI Austria. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Ultratop − Goud en Platina – albums 2006". Ultratop. Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Canadian album certifications – Il Divo – Il Divo". Music Canada. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Il Divo" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "French album certifications – Il Divo – Il Divo" (in French). Syndicat National de l'Édition Phonographique. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Certificaciones" (in Spanish). Asociación Mexicana de Productores de Fonogramas y Videogramas. Retrieved 26 May 2019. Type Il Divo in the box under the ARTISTA column heading and Il Divo in the box under TÍTULO
- "Dutch album certifications – Il Divo – Il Divo" (in Dutch). Nederlandse Vereniging van Producenten en Importeurs van beeld- en geluidsdragers. Retrieved 26 May 2019. Enter Il Divo in the "Artiest of titel" box.
- "New Zealand album certifications – Il Divo – Il Divo". Recorded Music NZ. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "IFPI Norsk platebransje Trofeer 1993–2011" (in Norwegian). IFPI Norway. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Top 100 Albumes – Lista de los títulos más vendidos del 25.12.06 al 31.12.06" (PDF) (in Spanish). Productores de Música de España. Archived from the original (PDF) on 11 May 2012. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "Guld- och Platinacertifikat − År 2005" (PDF) (in Swedish). IFPI Sweden. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "The Official Swiss Charts and Music Community: Awards (Il Divo; 'Il Divo')". IFPI Switzerland. Hung Medien. Retrieved 26 May 2019.
- "British album certifications – Il Divo – Il Divo". British Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 26 May 2019. Select albums in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type Il Divo in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- "American album certifications – Il Divo – Il Divo". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 26 May 2019. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Album, then click SEARCH.
- "IFPI Platinum Europe Awards – 2005". International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 4 July 2019.