Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa (born 8 July 1959) is a Nigerian politician who is the Governor of Delta State. He was inaugurated as a governor on 29 May 2015 after winning the state elections conducted in April 2015. Before his governorship, he was elected senator for Delta North Senatorial District in Delta State, Nigeria, in the April 2011 national elections. He ran on the People's Democratic Party (PDP) platform. He is an Ika from Owa-Alero in Delta State, Nigeria. He is also the first person from Anioma to clinch the governorship position of Delta State. He was re-elected as the governor of Delta State on May 29, 2019.
Ifeanyi Arthur Okowa
|Governor of Delta State|
|Assumed office |
29 May 2015
|Preceded by||Emmanuel Uduaghan|
|Senator of the Federal Republic of Nigeria from Delta North Senatorial District|
May 2011 – 29 May 2015
|Preceded by||Patrick Osakwe|
|Succeeded by||Peter Nwaoboshi|
|Born||8 July 1959|
Owa-Alero, Delta State, Nigeria
|Political party||Peoples Democratic Party|
|Residence||Asaba, Delta State|
|Alma mater||University of Ibadan|
|Profession||Politician, Medical Doctor|
Okowa was born at Owa-Alero in Ika North-East Local Government Area of Delta State. He attended Edo College, Benin City (1970–1976), then went on to the University of Ibadan where he studied Medicine and Surgery, graduating in 1981 with an MBBS degree. After leaving the National Youth Service Corps, he worked with the Bendel State Hospitals Management Board as a Medical Officer. He entered private practice as Director, Victory Medical Centre, Igbanke in 1986.
Okowa became Secretary to the Ika Local Government and then Chairman of the Ika North-East Local Government Council (1991–1993). He was Delta North Coordinator of the Grassroots Democratic Movement (GDM). He joined the PDP in 1998, and assisted in Governor James Ibori's campaign in 1998/1999. He served as a Commissioner in the Delta State government for Agriculture and Natural Resources (July 1999 – April 2001), Water Resources Development (April 2001 – May 2003) and Health (September 2003 – October 2006).
Okowa resigned to contest in the 2007 Delta State PDP governorship primaries, but did not win the governorship primaries. In June 2007, Ifeanyi was appointed Secretary to the Delta state Government.
Ifeanyi was elected Delta North Senatorial candidate in the January 2011 PDP primaries with 942 votes, but the result was challenged by party leaders who favoured Marian Amaka Alli as candidate. He was re-elected in a rerun where he scored 1,446 votes, against 108 votes for Dr. Marian Alli. In the April 2011 election for the Delta North Senatorial seat, Ifeanyi won 98,140 votes, ahead of runner up Prince Ned Munir Nwoko of the Democratic People's Party, who won 67,985 votes. It was reported that there was still tension regarding the election in January 2013. Ifeanyi finally clinched the ticket for the gubernatorial election in 2015 under the PDP with 406 votes on 8 December 2014.  He won the Delta State Gubernatorial elections 2015 in April 2015 with 724,680 votes.  He was inaugurated as Governor on 29 May 2015 and have since then resumed active duties. In the March 9, 2019 Governorship election, Okowa, who is a member of the Peoples Democratic Party, got 925,274 votes to defeat his opponent, the All-Progressives Congress candidate, Great Ogboru, who garnered, 215,938 votes.
Award and honourEdit
- He was honoured as Man of the year 2017 by the Independent Newspaper at Eko Hotel and Suites in Lagos. The award was presented by Alhaji Ismalis Isa Funtu.
- In 2017, he bagged the highest award of the University of Ibadan, Ibadan-Nigeria as the Alumni of the year 2016, where he successfully delivered a lecture titled "Good Governance for Wealth Creation and Sustainable Development: Experience and Lessons" at the 2017 edition of University of Ibadan Alumni lecture organised by the University of Ibadan Alumni Association (UIAA)
- "The Biography of Dr. Ifeanyi Okowa". Okowa for Senate. Archived from the original on 15 November 2010. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- "REMARKS BY GOV. UDUAGHAN AS OKOWA BECOMES NEW SSG". Office of the governor, Delta State. 4 June 2007. Archived from the original on 3 November 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- "HOW OKOWA EMERGED DELTA NORTH SENATORIAL CANDIDATE". Daily Sun. 8 February 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- "Arthur Okowa Wins Delta North Senatorial Primaries Again". HuHu Online. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- "Collated Senate results". INEC. Archived from the original on 19 April 2011. Retrieved 4 May 2011.
- "Okowa, Azekwoh Renew Battle for Senate Seat". This Day. 22 January 2013. Archived from the original on 26 January 2013. Retrieved 25 April 2013.
- "Ifeanyi Okowa wins Delta PDP guber ticket". Vanguard. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "Ifeanyi Okowa wins Delta Gubernatorial Election". Channels TV. Retrieved 13 April 2015.