Ian Richards (judge)
Ian J. Richards (born May, 1975) is a former county court judge in the Florida's 17th Judicial Circuit. Richards was the first African-American judge to be elected countywide in Broward County, Florida. He presided over "State of Florida v. John Reasee", in which Richards jumped over his bench to protect a witness who was being attacked by the man against whom she had testified.
Ian J. Richards
|Former County Court Judge of Florida's 17th Judicial Circuit|
January, 2009 – January, 2015
Ian J. Richards
May 31, 1975
|Residence||Hollywood, Florida, U.S.|
|Alma mater||University of Miami, School of Law|
Early life and careerEdit
Richards, the son of a mechanic and registered nurse, grew up in South Florida. He attended Shadowlawn Elementary School in the heart of Liberty City, and later graduated from Miami Norland Senior High School. Richards earned his Bachelor of Accounting degree, in 1999, from Florida International University. In 2002, Richards received a Juris Doctor degree from the University of Miami School of Law. Richards was a member of the UM Law School’s Honor Council.
Richards is married with three children.
- 2002 to 2004 – Assistant State Attorney for the 11th Judicial Circuit
- 2004 to 2008 – private attorney in South Florida
- 2009 to 2014 – elected County Judge for the 17th Judicial Circuit
Richards is a member of the Broward Bar Association, the Florida Bar Association, and Federal Bar Association
- 17th Judicial Circuit Court of Florida Website.
- "Courthouse Surprise", Broward Palm Beach New Times(.com) (September 18, 2008).
- "Judge Leaps to Protect Woman in Court", Miami Herald (March 25, 2009); "Judge Vaults Bench to Subdue Courtroom Attacker", Daily Business Review (March 26, 2009); "Hero judge rugby tackles defendant who attacked domestic violence victim in court", Daily Mail UK (March 25, 2009); "Fla. Judge Vaults Bench, Helps Subdue Suspect, Makes TMZ", ABA Journal (March 25, 2009); Chad Johnson, "Chad Johnson Judge Also a Tough Guy", Miami Herald (August 23, 2012); "Judge Jumps Over Bench In Courtroom Melee", CBS News (retrieved August 27, 2013); "Judge helps restrain abuser after attack on victim in court", 7News WSVN.com (retrieved August 27, 2013); video available here.
- "Tough Liberty City Helped Judge Choose Law", Daily Business Review (May 19, 2014).
- Rafael Olmeda, "Claudia Robinson victor in Broward County Judge race", Sun Sentinel (November 14, 2014).
- "The Herald recommends Ian Richards", Miami Herald (August 4, 2014); "Re-elect Ian Richards, Ellen Feld to County Court", Sun-sentinel (August 13, 2014).
- For Broward bench: Bailey, Richards (Sun-sentinel, October 13, 2014)
- Judges and Council Race Hinge on Name Recognition (South Florida Times, September 18, 2014)
- Judge Ian Richards' Interview with Rodney Baltimore from Hot 105
- Liberty City Upbringing Helped Judge Choose Law (Daily Business Review, May 19, 2014)
- Pines men accused of sex with boy, not revealing HIV status (Sun-Sentinel, January 17, 2013)
- Chad Johnson Judge Also a Tough Guy (Miami Herald, August 23, 2012)
- Judge Leaps to Protect Woman in Court (Miami Herald, March 25, 2009)
- The Herald recommends Ian Richards (Miami Herald, August 4, 2014)
- Re-elect Ian Richards, Ellen Feld to County Court (Sun-sentinel, August 13, 2014)