Ian James McCoshen (born August 5, 1995) is an American professional ice hockey defenseman currently playing for the Springfield Thunderbirds in the American Hockey League (AHL) while under contract with the Florida Panthers of the National Hockey League (NHL). McCoshen was selected by the Panthers in the second round, 31st overall, of the 2013 NHL Entry Draft.
August 5, 1995|
Anaheim, California, U.S.
|Height||6 ft 3 in (191 cm)|
|Weight||218 lb (99 kg; 15 st 8 lb)|
|NHL team (P)|
Springfield Thunderbirds (AHL)
31st overall, 2013|
McCoshen played three seasons (2010–13) of Tier 1 junior ice hockey with the Waterloo Black Hawks of the United States Hockey League (USHL). He was selected to both the 2012 and 2013 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game, and in his final season, he was further recognized for his outstanding play when he was named to the 2012–13 USHL First All-Star Team.
McCoshen got off to a strong start in his NCAA campaign at Boston College with a 13-point year as a top defensemen for the Eagles ice hockey team. He scored Boston College's first goal of the season and was on SportsCenter's Top-10 plays for his goal-saving effort in a game against the University of Minnesota. He also earned rookie of the week honors for his game-winning goal against the University of Massachusetts Lowell during the NCAA tournament. McCoshen played at the 2014 World Juniors for the United States.
McCoshen finished his first professional season skating in three NHL games, his NHL debut coming on April 6, 2017, in a 6–3 loss to the St. Louis Blues. He also recorded his first point (an assist) in the game.
McCoshen is the son of Kevin and Colleen McCoshen. Kevin graduated from Superior Senior High School in Wisconsin, and Colleen is originally from Menomonie, Wisconsin. Ian also has three younger sisters: Mary, Allyson and Grace. McCoshen was born in Anaheim, California, and the family lived in Hudson, Wisconsin, for 13 years before moving for Faribault, Minnesota, where he attended Shattuck-Saint Mary's and skated for the school's bantam team in 2009–10.
Regular season and playoffsEdit
|2010–11||Waterloo Black Hawks||USHL||42||0||6||6||38||2||0||0||0||0|
|2011–12||Waterloo Black Hawks||USHL||55||8||12||20||43||15||4||3||7||6|
|2012–13||Waterloo Black Hawks||USHL||53||11||33||44||48||5||2||2||4||4|
|World Junior A Challenge|
Awards and honorsEdit
|USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game||2012|||
|USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game||2013|||
|USHL First All-Star Team.||2012–13|||
- "Pee-Wee players who have reached NHL or WHA" (PDF). Quebec International Pee-Wee Hockey Tournament. 2018. Retrieved January 5, 2019.
- "Ian McCoshen: 2013 NHL Draft Player Profile #37". Last Word On Sports. May 18, 2013. Retrieved May 18, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "McCoshen leads USHL prospects for 2013 NHL Draft". HockeysFuture.com. February 13, 2013. Retrieved February 24, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "McCoshen among top stars at USHL prospects game". National Hockey League. May 4, 2013. Retrieved May 4, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Three Black Hawks on All-USHL first team". wcfcourier.com. April 15, 2013. Retrieved April 15, 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Ian McCoshen Commits to Boston College". Western College Hockey Blog. November 9, 2012. Retrieved November 9, 2012. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Hawks McCoshen Picks Boston College". United States Hockey League. November 15, 2012. Archived from the original on July 22, 2014. Retrieved November 15, 2012. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "BC advance past River Hawks". Hockey East. March 31, 2014. Retrieved March 31, 2014. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "McCoshen inks entry-level deal with Panthers". Sportsnet.ca. June 19, 2016. Retrieved June 19, 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "St. Louis Blues - Florida Panthers - April 6th, 2017". NHL.com. Retrieved December 13, 2018.
- "Son of former Superiorite selected by Panthers at NHL draft". superiortelegram.com. July 6, 2013. Retrieved June 7, 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- USHL: McCoshen listed as NHL "A list" prospect : Waterloo Black Hawks
- United States Hockey League - Roster Selected for USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game Archived June 30, 2013, at Archive.today
- United States Hockey League - All-USHL First and Second Team Named for 2012-13 Archived June 30, 2013, at Archive.today