I Got a Boy
I Got a Boy (stylized as I GOT A BOY) is the fourth Korean studio album and the sixth overall by South Korean girl group Girls' Generation. It was released for digital download on January 1, 2013 by S.M. Entertainment, and was made available for physical sales the following day by KT Music. Musically, the album is characterized as combining elements from a wide range of genres including R&B, new wave, and EDM. This is the final Korean studio album featuring member Jessica who was dismissed from the group on September 30, 2014.
|I Got a Boy|
|Studio album by|
|Released||January 1, 2013|
|Recorded||August – December 2012|
|Girls' Generation chronology|
|Singles from I Got A Boy|
I Got a Boy received generally positive reviews from music critics, who praised its eclectic musical styles. It was a commercial success domestically, peaking atop the South Korean Gaon Album Chart and became the second best-selling album of 2013 in the country. The album additionally charted at number seven on the Japanese Oricon Albums Chart, number three on the Taiwanese G-Music chart, and number one on the Billboard World Albums.
To promote the album, Girls' Generation appeared and performed on several music programs including Music Bank and Show! Music Core in early 2013. The album's lead single was "Dancing Queen", a remake of Duffy's 2008 single "Mercy", released on December 21, 2012. The second single, "I Got a Boy", was released on January 1, 2013, and was subjected to major attention from Western media outlets following its winning Video of the Year at the inaugural YouTube Music Awards.
—Seohyun, talks about the group's album.
After the group's label S.M. Entertainment revealed the group intended to return in January 2013, MBC announced on December 11, 2012, that the group would be receiving a separate broadcast depicting the album process in preparation of the album's release in January 2013.
The single track, "Dancing Queen", was released on December 21, 2012. The title track, "I Got a Boy", was released digitally on January 1, 2013. The full album was released on January 2, 2013.
The first of the group's comeback performances began on January 3, 2013, on Mnet's M! Countdown. Seven members appeared on Mnet's Wide Open Studio program prior to their comeback performance, Yuri and Hyoyeon were not present as they were preparing to emcee M! Countdown. The group continued their first week of performances for the album on KBS' Music Bank, MBC's Music Core and SBS's Inkigayo on January 4, 5 and 6, respectively. Girls' Generation held an hour-long "Virtual Concert" broadcast live via Naver Music on January 5, 2013 where they perform "I Got a Boy", "Talk Talk" and "Dancing Queen". The group also performed five songs from the album on their MBC comeback special; Girls' Generation's Romantic Fantasy on January 1, 2013. The group also performed on KBS Hope Concert. The group performed "I Got a Boy" and "Dancing Queen" in Dream K-Pop Fantasy concert held in Manila, Philippines on January 19, 2013, making it their first overseas performance of both songs. On KBS Yoo Hee-Yeol's Sketchbook, the group performed "I Got a Boy", "Dancing Queen", and "Lost in Love". They performed their single "I Got a Boy" as part of the setlist on their Second Japan Arena Tour.
The album was officially tour promoted on Girls' Generation World Tour Girls & Peace, began on June 8, 2013 in Olympic Gymnastics Arena, Seoul, South Korea, finished on February 15, 2014 in Cotai Arena, Macau. The tour also promotes their third studio album, The Boys, officially.
Dsign Music, the group of famous composers that composed the hit song, "Genie", as well as the top composers of Europe including Will Simms and Sarah Lundback, and the composer from Korea, Young-Jin Yoo participated in the making of the album. "I Got a Boy" is an electronic dance song that mixes pop, retro, and urban genres. "Talk Talk" is the Korean version of Boomerang which was included in their second Japanese studio album Girls & Peace, and the Korean lyrics tell a guy who does not understand a girl’s heart should try to talk to his girl that it gives the feeling different from Japanese version while it has the same melody and arrangement.
"Baby Maybe", mixes lyrics written by Girls' Generation members Sooyoung, Yuri, and Seohyun that expresses the fluttering heart of a girl in love. "XYZ" with a powerful synthesizer pattern is also written by Yuri and Seohyun. The album also contains "Lost in Love (유리아이)", a duet by Taeyeon and Tiffany expresses the changes of heart that accepts the breakup with a lover as time passes. The track "Promise" is a mid-tempo soul ballad composed and arranged by British songwriter Joseph Belmaati in his debut collaboration with the group. The lyrics were penned by Mo-ul and contain a message for the fans. "Express 999" is retro pop combining 1980s new wave influences, and various genres. "Look at Me" combines organic beats, a playful melody, and easy-to-sing-along chorus. "Romantic St." is a swing jazz style song.
"Dancing Queen" was released as a pre-release single on December 21, 2012. "Dancing Queen", a remake of Welsh singer Duffy's song "Mercy" was recorded in 2008 as a comeback song after a nine-month hiatus, however plans were scrapped due to copyright issues and the group went with "Gee".
"I Got a Boy" was released digitally on January 1, 2013. The "I Got A Boy" music video and album were released simultaneously at 5 p.m. KST. The video, as well as the teaser in the "Dancing Queen" video, became the center of public scrutiny after several screenshots from the video circulated on the internet with Sunny's hat having the words "WELCOME MOTHERF★CKERS" printed on it.
I Got a Boy received generally positive reviews from music critics. David Jeffries from AllMusic called the album an "explosion," writing: "Fans will embrace it with open arms, while mega-fans should also clear some shelf space since the physical edition of the album was made available with ten different covers, one for each member of the group and then one with the whole crew." Jeff Benjamin writing for Billboard wrote that the album's musical styles "satisfy not only K-pop fans but also listeners of all types of popular music" with elements of "forward-thinking" genres such as EDM, R&B, and new wave. Hwang Seon-eop from South Korean online magazine IZM, however, was less enthusiastic towards the album's "experimental" styles and singled out "Baby Maybe" and "Romantic St." as the two better songs on the album.
A week after the release of "Dancing Queen," the song was number one on the Gaon Single chart. I Got a Boy debuted at the number two spot of Billboard's World Album Chart. They also placed 2nd on the Heatseekers Albums Chart and 23rd on the Independent Albums Chart. The album ranked 7th on Oricon Weekly Chart and ranked 22nd on Oricon Monthly Chart. "I Got a Boy" also rank first on Five Music Korean-Japanese Chart in Taiwan for two weeks in a row.
Credits adapted from Naver
|1.||"I Got a Boy"||4:31|
|4.||"Talk Talk" (Korean: 말해봐; RR: Malhaebwa)||2:46|
|5.||"Promise"||Mo-ul||Joseph Belmaati||Joseph Belmaati||3:15|
|7.||"Lost In Love" (Korean: 유리아이; RR: Yuria-i; lit. Glass Child) (Taeyeon and Tiffany duet)||4:00|
|8.||"Look at Me"||3:01|
|10.||"Romantic St." (Korean: 낭만길; RR: Namman-gil)||4:00|
|1.||"I Got a Boy" (Music Video)|
|2.||"Dancing Queen" (Music Video)|
|3.||"I Got a Boy" (Music Video Making Film)|
- Notes
- "Dancing Queen" (recorded in 2008) is a remake of the song, "Mercy", by Welsh singer Duffy.
- "Baby Maybe" was originally co-written as a demo in English by English singer-songwriter Pixie Lott under the title as "What You Do." The song was later given to Girls' Generation with Seohyun, Yuri and Sooyoung re-writing the lyrics in Korean.
- "Talk Talk" (previously titled Boomerang) was recorded in 2008. A Japanese version was included in their second Japanese studio album, Girls & Peace (2012).
- "Lost in Love" is a duet song sung by Taeyeon and Tiffany.
- "Express 999" is a reference to the Anime Galaxy Express 999.
Credits for I Got a Boy adapted are from album liner notes.
|China (Sino Chart)||13|
|South Korea (Gaon)||1|
|U.S. World Albums (Billboard)||1|
|U.S. Top Heatseekers (Billboard)||2|
|U.S. Independent Albums (Billboard)||23|
|South Korea (Gaon)||2|
|Worldwide||January 1, 2013||Digital download||S.M. Entertainment|
|South Korea||January 2, 2013||CD||S. M. Entertainment, KMP Holdings|
|Singapore||January 7, 2013||Universal Music|
|Thailand||January 8, 2013||S.M. Entertainment|
|Hong Kong||January 14, 2013||Universal Music|
|Japan||February 13, 2013||Nayutawave Records|
|Indonesia||June 4, 2013||Universal Music Indonesia|
|Taiwan||July 17, 2013||CD + DVD||Universal Music Taiwan|
- "Seohyun and TVXQ! Featured in November Issue of 'CeCi' Magazine". Soshified. October 19, 2012. Retrieved January 5, 2012.
- 기사입력 (December 11, 2012). 소녀시대, 내년 새 앨범 컴백 "시기 미정, 韓日활동 병행" (in Korean). tvreport.co.k. Retrieved December 11, 2012.
- 소녀시대, '아이 갓 어 보이' 댄스 버전 티저 영상 공개 (in Korean). media.daum.net. December 28, 2012. Retrieved December 29, 2012.
- "Hyoyeon and Yuri to Be Special MCs on Mnet's 'M! Countdown'". soshified.com. January 2, 2013. Retrieved December 3, 2013.
- "'뱀띠 스타' 소녀시대 효연·유리, '엠카' 스페셜 MC 나선다" (in Korean). bntnews.com. January 2, 2013. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "[T포토 l 소녀시대] '국민 걸그룹의 인기'(V 콘서트)" (in Korean). news.nate.com. January 5, 2013. Retrieved January 6, 2013.
- "Girls' Generation's 'Romantic Fantasy' Comeback Program Airs on MBC". soshified.com. January 2, 2013. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- "Check out Girls' Generation's 'I got a Boy' performance from KBS' Hope Concert". WonderfulGeneration. 6 January 2013. Retrieved 9 January 2013.
- "Watch Girls' Generation's full FanCams from 'Dream K-Pop Fantasy Concert' in the Philippines". Wonderful Generation. 20 January 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- "Watch Girls' Generation's performances from Yoo Hee-Yeol's Sketchbook + English Subbed Cuts". Wonderful Generation. 20 January 2013. Retrieved 21 January 2013.
- 2013.1월호 하퍼스 바자 수영 스캔본 by deselim – 수영 갤러리
- Sooyoung Appears in ‘Harper’s Bazaar’ Magazine for a Photoshoot and Interview
- Jeff, Benjamin. "Girls' Generation, 'I Got a Boy': Track-By-Track Review". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Archived from the original on May 29, 2013.
- "Dancing Queen – Single". iTunes Store. Apple Inc. December 21, 2012. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "소시, 컴백 신곡은 英가수 더피 'Mercy' 리메이크" (in Korean). star.mt.co.kr. December 21, 2012. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- carolicity (December 19, 2012). "Updated Girls' Generation to pre-release a song off their upcoming 4th album in January + another English album in store?". allkpop.com. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "Girls' Generation Releases 'I Got A Boy' Album and Music Video". allkpop.com. January 1, 2013. Retrieved January 1, 2013.
- 소녀시대 뮤비수정 한다 '써니모자 논란에 결국…' (in Korean). news.nate.com. January 3, 2013. Retrieved January 3, 2013.
- Jeffries, David. "I Got a Boy – Girls' Generation | Songs, Reviews, Awards". AllMusic. Retrieved April 30, 2016.
- Hwang Seon-eop (January 2013). "I Got a Boy – Review". IZM (in Korean). Retrieved April 24, 2016.
- Nate (November 2013). "美롤링스톤 "소녀시대, 매력적" K팝 이례적 평가". Nate (in Korean). Retrieved November 13, 2013.
- "South Korean Gaon Single Chart 2012.12.23~2012.12.29". Gaon Chart. 29 December 2012. Retrieved 5 January 2013.
- "SNSD's 'I got a Boy' debuts at the top spot of Billboard's World Albums Chart". Wonderful Generation. 10 January 2013. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- "Charts". Girls' Generation's Facebook. 15 January 2013. Retrieved 13 September 2013.
- "4th Album I Got a Boy" (in Korean). Naver. Naver Corporation. Retrieved April 29, 2016.
- "I Got a Boy" (in Chinese). Universal Music Taiwan. Retrieved September 6, 2013.
- I Got a Boy (liner notes) (in Korean). Girls' Generation. S.M. Entertainment. 2013.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Sino Album Chart: 2013/09/24" (in Chinese). Sino Chart. Archived from the original on October 6, 2013.
- "Weekly CD Rankings". Oricon Style (in Japanese). Oricon. January 21, 2013. Archived from the original on July 31, 2014.
- "Gaon Album Chart" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. December 30, 2012. Archived from the original on July 23, 2014.
- "G-Music Albums Chart" (in Chinese). G-Music. Archived from the original on February 11, 2013.
- "World Music: Top Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. January 19, 2013. Archived from the original on January 13, 2016.
- "Billboard's Heatseeker Album – Week of January 19, 2013". Billboard. Promehtheus Global Media. January 19, 2013. Retrieved May 4, 2015.
- "Independent Album – Week of January 19, 2013". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. January 19, 2013. Retrieved May 26, 2015.
- "Gaon Album Chart: 2013 (Year-End)" (in Korean). Gaon Music Chart. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016.
- "The 4th Album 'I Got a Boy' by Girls' Generation". iTunes Store (HK). Apple Inc. Retrieved April 30, 2016.
- "소녀시대 – 정규 4집 I Got a Boy [10종 중 랜덤]" (in Korean). Aladin Music. January 1, 2013. Retrieved December 21, 2012.
- "Girls' Generation – I Got a Boy". HMV Singapore. HMV Group. Archived from the original on August 10, 2013.
- "Girls' Generation: I Got a Boy CD" (in Thai). Boomerang Shop. Retrieved April 30, 2016.
- "I Got A Boy" (in Chinese). Universal Music Hong Kong. Archived from the original on January 23, 2013.
- "少女時代 / I Got a Boy【輸入盤】【CD】【2013年2月6日発売】" (in Japanese). Universal Music Japan. Retrieved January 17, 2013.
- "Girls' Generation – I Got a Boy". Yes24.com Indonesia. Archived from the original on August 4, 2013. Retrieved July 5, 2013.
- "I Got a Boy (CD+DVD)" (in Chinese). Universal Music Taiwan. Retrieved April 30, 2016.