ITV Tyne Tees & Border
First air date
|25 February 2009|
|Tyne Tees News|
The news service transmits to a vast area – central and northern Cumbria, County Durham, Dumfries and Galloway, Northumberland, North Yorkshire, parts of South Ayrshire, the Scottish Borders, Teesside and Tyne and Wear.
North East Tonight and Lookaround titles were retained for the 6pm programme and late bulletin each weekday, whilst shorter bulletins were known simply as Tyne Tees & Border News. On 14 January 2013, the "Tyne Tees" news service rebranded as ITV News Tyne Tees with the "Border" news service Lookaround retained. Pan-regional bulletins were then branded as ITV News Tyne Tees & Border while the existing Tyne Tees monthly political programme Around the House now also incorporates the Border region.
The news service was selected in November 2009 to be one of the pilot areas for the provision of the new Independently Funded News Consortia proposed by Ofcom, however the plan was scrapped in June 2010.
The amalgamated region was heavily criticised due to a lack of coverage for viewers in the South of Scotland.
On 23 July 2013, proposals to reintroduce full regional services for the Tyne Tees and Border regions were approved by OFCOM, effectively leading to a demerger of the Tyne Tees and Border services. On 16 September 2013, ITV News Tyne Tees and Lookaround were restored as fully separate regional programmes on weekdays with shorter daytime and weekend bulletins reintroduced. Both programmes continue to be broadcast from Tyne Tees' Gateshead studios with extra journalists recruited for newsgathering in the Border region.
ITV Border was also required to reopen its former opt-out service for southern Scotland, previously utilized to broadcast split news bulletins and select STV programming. A minimum of 90 minutes a week of bespoke Scottish programming is broadcast on ITV Border Scotland with viewers in Cumbria continuing to receive network output. The sub-regional service, launched on Monday 6 January 2014, incorporates a thrice-weekly political programme, Representing Border, on Tuesday - Thursday nights and a peak-time feature series, Border Life, on Monday evenings.
- Full Border TV Lookaround line-up revealed Archived 2009-01-19 at the Wayback Machine, News & Star, 17 January 2009
- Revamped Lookaround set for broadcast on February 25 Archived 2012-02-11 at the Wayback Machine News & Star, 7 February 2009
- Digital Spy - Ofcom 'to allow' ITV regional news cuts
- ITV launches rebrand on air and online, itv.com, 14 January 2012
- ITV regional news replacement set for north-east, Cumbria and Borders Chris Tryhorn, The Guardian, 26 November 2009
- ITV local news pilot schemes scrapped BBC News, 8 June 2010
- OFCOM sets out licence terms for ITV, STV, UTV and Channel 5 Archived 2013-07-26 at the Wayback Machine, OFCOM, 23 July 2013