ITV News London
ITV News London is the evening news programme produced by ITN and broadcasting on ITV London. It broadcasts for thirty minutes each Monday to Friday from 18:00, covering regional news stories, features, sport and weather. It is presented by Lucrezia Millarini or Charlene White. Shorter bulletins air at other times.
|ITV News London|
The ITV News London title card with a close-up of the London Eye.
|Presented by||Lucrezia Millarini|
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|Production location(s)||ITN Studios, Grays Inn Road, London, England|
|Running time||30 minutes|
(main 18:00 show)
|Production company(s)||London Weekend Television (1982–1993)|
London News Network (1993–2004)
|Original network||ITV London|
|Picture format||1080i (HDTV 16:9)|
|Original release||1993 –|
|Preceded by||Thames News|
London Weekend Television News
|Related shows||ITV News|
London News NetworkEdit
The programme launched on Monday 4 January 1993 as London Tonight, after Carlton Television won the London weekday franchise from previous holder Thames Television. London Tonight was originally produced by London News Network – a joint venture between Carlton and LWT designed to provide a sole ITV regional news service for the London area, broadcasting seven days a week. Its creation established a continuity between the once separate services and presentation of weekend and weekday news, weather and sport in the region, previously provided by Thames News and London Weekend Television News.
The flagship programme, initially an hour long and presented by Alastair Stewart and Fiona Foster, was supplemented by shorter London Today bulletins, launched on New Year's Day 1993 (LWT discontinued its own local news service over the weekend). The main evening programme was reduced to 30 minutes a year later, while from 25 November 1996 to September 2001, a half-hour lunchtime edition of London Today was broadcast on weekdays.
In addition to regional news, London News Network also produced a wide range of regional programming for both Carlton and LWT as well as providing transmission services for both stations.
In 2004, ITV London owners Carlton and Granada merged, forming ITV plc with LNN being dissolved soon after. Production for all ITV London News programming remained at The London Studios (formerly known as the LWT South Bank Centre) until 29 February 2004, when it was taken over by the national Channel 3 news provider ITN and moved to their headquarters in Central London, making the region the only operation not to produce its own news programmes in-house. Around 40 jobs were lost with the closure of LNN, although the programme retained its own editorial team.London Tonight was unaffected by the ITV regional news cuts in February 2009.
On 4 July 2012, ITV News editor Deborah Turness informed London Tonight employees a third of staff would be made redundant, with ITV News and London Tonight both sharing newsgathering and studios from 1 October 2012.
On Monday 14 January 2013, the service was relaunched and renamed as ITV News London.
Former notable lead presenters include Katie Derham, Fiona Foster, Nina Hossain, Natasha Kaplinsky, Anna Maria Ashe, Donal MacIntyre, Mary Nightingale, Alastair Stewart and Matt Teale.
Notable on air staffEdit
- Lucrezia Millarini: Newsreader/presenter (2013–); Entertainment Correspondent (2010–2012) 
- Charlene White: Lead presenter (2019–); newsreader/relief presenter (2008–2019) 
- Faye Barker: Newsreader (2005–)
- Sally Biddulph: Newsreader (2014–)
- Geraint Vincent: Relief presenter (2017–)
- Suzanne Virdee: Relief newsreader (2016–)
- ITV News selects Nina Hossain as lead presenter of Lunchtime News Amy Wilson, Response Source, 30 May 2019
- "ITV News London". Retrieved 2 December 2019.
- Tryhorn, Chris (17 October 2003). "Jobs go in ITV London news shake-up". The Guardian. London.
- Seventeen regions into nine: How the updated ITV local news services will run The Guardian, 16 February 2009
- ITN to axe 15 jobs on ITV London news Jake Kanter, Broadcast Now, 4 July 2012
- ITV launches rebrand on air and online, itv.com, 14 January 2013
- Robinson, James (21 April 2010). "Katie Derham leaving ITN for BBC". London: The Guardian. Retrieved 21 April 2010.
- Sweney, Mark (3 August 2011). "Natasha Kaplinsky takes ITV news anchor role". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- "Donal Macintyre to be Katie Derham's partner on London Tonight". This is London. 17 March 2010. Archived from the original on 9 April 2010. Retrieved 17 March 2010.
- Plunkett, John (19 August 2009). "More Mark Austin on News at Ten". The Guardian. London. Retrieved 19 July 2009.
BBC Midlands Today
| RTS: Television Journalism
Regional Daily News Magazine
BBC Look North
Frontline Scotland: The Ghost of Piper Alpha
| RTS: Television Journalism
Regional Current Affairs
Spotlight: Life and Death of an IRA Quartermaster